Honored Contributor

Re: Attracting Younger Customers and Beauty IQ

Sometimes the Q needs to give some products more time to catch on with older viewers that might not be familiar with a line. Kat von D has great stuff. 

Valued Contributor

@fashionkilla, you make some excellent points, young lady.  I'm not a make-up wearer but you are spot on about shipping time and fresher product line-ups.  I have often thought the Q should start a yearly one shot payment like Amazon does for Prime.  As a prime member I feel my $99 is well spent between free two day shipping, music, streaming shows and videos, the lending library, and "add-on" items at a discounted price.  In addition to all that, Amazon is my first place to look for whatever since I know I'm not paying shipping.  Perhaps the Q could start with beauty.  Would you gals who buy make up be willing to pay a once a year fee of maybe $30?  It could include free shipping & returns, samples and discounted prices on particular beauty products.  If for instance you buy $25 of product from one line, you get 50% off on perhaps mascara from that line.  In general QVC really needs to start shaking it up.  I never buy clothes as I find their prices high for the same old, same old over and over again.  I just bought a terrific outdoor vest for $11.98 at Amazon.  It's great and exactly what I was looking for.  There was absolutely nothing comparable look wise and certainly nothing came close cost wise on QVC.  Hopefully TPTB will pay attention.

Honored Contributor

IMHO QVC should reach ALL consumers. Actually I think they do a pretty good job. DD is a few years older than @fashionkilla. She is REALLY into makeup, follows Jaclyn Hill, and buys mostly Morphe brushes. She's all over the brands. Right now she's ordering a lot of Colourpop and Makeup Geek. She knows every new palette that comes out! But she also watches QVC some. She likes IT and Mally and uses Laura Geller's bronzer. 

If QVC skews completely younger, they will lose me. I hope they keep on showing all ages as models. They do have younger vendors too. What about Jessica (Bare Minerals) and Edward Bess? Sephora and Ulta have vendors of all ages - why not QVC?

If there is one thing I'd like to see it is what others have already mentioned: start demonstrating on the models with their faces bare! I just watched a video for a kit, and the vendor said, "(Model's name) already has her eyes done." The eyeshadows were part of the kit, and I wanted to see them applied. I understand they do it in the interest of time (Mally taught me that), but they should ALLOW more time for a COMPLETE demonstration, especially on TSV days. Then they should make sure THAT is the video posted to refer to later. Many times I've watched a video only to see what a great value it is, what the colors are, and a brief view of the models. 

I still think buying beauty brands here is more cost effective than buying them from other sites or from brick and mortar stores. Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 I'm ok with a yearly fee as long as the product selection is very good and the prices are low. And if it extended to items outside of beauty that would be even bette

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would never pay Qvc a yearly fee! I can't believe there's a suggestion to charge us even more! How about discounted returns for the lighter weight items?

I agree Qvc could encourage how to apply a makeup look instead of a one color eyeshadow look they did last year when both Mally & Laura Geller presented their palettes last year. They each had at least eight shades and Qvc had each presentation show a one color wash, rather than combing shades and where to put them.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom personally I don't think they are reaching ALL audiences especially with beauty. It seems like their main age groups are 35+ for beauty and clothing as well. At 24 I don't need a wrinkle cream. I'm not married and have no children so I can spend longer than 5 minutes on my makeup (and so do many mothers). I feel I'm not represented. It's frustrating to watch a beauty show and everyone is 15 years older than me.

And I agree it's silly to show a model with a full face using one product. Maybe they could try showing a range of products to create one look. They could use 4 models with different skin tones: fair, medium, olive/tan and deep. Show face, eyes, lips, contour, brows etc. Show step by step directions on each model. Then by the end you have a finished look.

Honored Contributor

@fashionkilla wrote:

@beach-mom personally I don't think they are reaching ALL audiences especially with beauty. It seems like their main age groups are 35+ for beauty and clothing as well. At 24 I don't need a wrinkle cream. I'm not married and have no children so I can spend longer than 5 minutes on my makeup (and so do many mothers). I feel I'm not represented. It's frustrating to watch a beauty show and everyone is 15 years older than me.

And I agree it's silly to show a model with a full face using one product. Maybe they could try showing a range of products to create one look. They could use 4 models with different skin tones: fair, medium, olive/tan and deep. Show face, eyes, lips, contour, brows etc. Show step by step directions on each model. Then by the end you have a finished look.

@fashionkilla - I understand how you're not happy, but some QVC beauty models are in their 20's or early 30's. When I started watching, Laura Geller used a favorite model who was 22. You're right - you don't need a wrinkle cream, but you do need to take care of your skin, whether or not you get your products here or elsewhere. DD's favorite cleanser is Purity by Philosophy (here). She uses weekly masks from Lush, and she likes their moisturizer (but it's really pricey!). BTW - DD is petite and works in a professional office. She wears a lot of LOGO, and it looks amazing on her. She buys items from some of the other clothing lines here too. I think a lot of the shoes here are perfect for girls your age. You won't find many of us over 45 wearing 4-inch heels! We've all done that in the past! Smiley Wink

Occasional Contributor

@beach-mom the models don't bother me. It's the vendors and hosts that do the talking and selling. I have a strict skin care regime from chemical exfoliation to moisturizers to vitamin c. So strict in fact that I keep a record of what I do each day. I don't need help there. My main focus is upping my makeup game.

I liked logo at first, but they are way too expensive now. Not to mention Lori Goldstein has no concept of color theory. Not EVERYTHING goes together. 

As for shoes I love my Isaac Mizrahi sneakerboots and my skechers, but their heels are so cheap! I bought a couple of pairs and my feet always hurt afterwards. And I didn't wear them for long, only at work where I mainly sit. These were $100 shoes. Needless to say I went to Payless and bought some for $20, no issues.

Honored Contributor

@fashionkilla - You definitely know the lines! And I admire your skin care program. It's always great when we find things that work for us. I hope QVC listens to you and gets more makeup lines in. Maybe with the new channel we'll see all kinds of great things! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

And many of the demos are boarding on fake. The blonde who serves as a guest and a model for IT is the worst. She taps her brush repeatedly into the palette and applies, but it's obvious the brush is staying clean and she is not really touching her skin. If she were, her face would look like a clown. Give us real demos on application techniques, not someone with a full face pretending to apply the product.