Occasional Contributor

Attracting Younger Customers and Beauty IQ

I normally don't write any posts, until today, but I do read the threads. Someone suggested I address the topic of QVC, their new Beauty IQ channel, and their eagerness to attract younger customers:

From someone who is a part of the younger, millennial generation (I'm 24), you would surprised what we're willing, and not willing to pay for. Go on YouTube and search for beauty bloggers. There are hundreds of women in their early to mid twenties who own $80 palettes. Their makeup collections consist of Tom Ford and Chanel. They use MAC and Wayne Goss brushes. They save up for the items they want. They use coupons and rewards from stores like Sephora and Ulta.

The problem with QVC is they're boring and they lack variety. My generation looks to social media for inspiration. We watch YouTube for makeup tutorials and reviews before we spend our money on anything. Watching paid models put on mascara isn't going to peak our interest. I personally watch QVC fashion shows like Inspired Style and PM Style. Most of the people I know have never heard of QVC. The ones who do think it's for "old people". If QVC wants to make Beauty IQ a success, imo they need better makeup lines, younger vendors, live color swatching, and decent tutorials. I see they have Becca Cosmetics now, would be great if they added Kat Von D, Anastasia of Beverly Hills, Lorac, and Urban Decay - more popular lines. Their shipping is extremely slow and expensive. Returns are a complete joke. They need to offer free shipping on an entire purchase and real sales. Instead of offering a credit card, offer a rewards program. I like easy pay, but sometimes I feel ripped off by the prices in general. Overall it's amazing to me that QVC is still running. I can't believe that they can compete with online retailers like Amazon.
Honored Contributor

Re: Attracting Younger Customers and Beauty IQ

You have very good points.  I'm a senior and have been shopping here 20+ years, but I do shop around.  The cost of shipping and no free return postage is definitely a consideration.   QVC is not the same as when I started shopping here.  They had items that could not be obtained elsewhere.  That is no longer the case.   Thank you for posting and sharing your thoughts.

Occasional Contributor

I still find a few items that I'm not able to find at other stores, but the waiting around is the hardest for me. I'll admit I'm impatient. Many other retailers will ship to you right away. I buy hair care online and if I order Monday, depending on the time, it will ship by Tuesday. It's on my doorstep by Friday. QVC is huge in comparison to these other sites
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think you make some great points. I am 40 and love watching tutorials for make up application, smoky eyes, contouring, etc.  I wish the Q would do full makeovers on BeautyIQ.  The models during the regular shows already have a full face and the vendors just apply directly over it.  Longer vendor segments would help with this.

I agree that more variety is needed too. Kat Von D's products were on last year I think, for one show, where I bought my Lock It foundation and then they were not on again and nowhere to be found on the site.  It bummed me out because I am tired of It, and JM and LG all the time.  I enjoy these vendors, but it is the same products all day, and sometimes  all month (!) long.  

Some other options would be makeup that is not necessarily anti-aging.  A lot of people have allergies, skin sensitivity, and just cannot wear retinyl/retinol, vitamin C, etc.  And there needs to be more lines without parabens and talc. Cruelty free would be nice as well.

More skin care options would be nice.  It is always Philosophy, PTR, and Dr. Perricone.

Shipping is terribly slow, and ridiculously expensive.  I think if you order $50 worth (or some agreeable cost) of makeup it should be free shipping.  People will actually buy more products to reach a free shipping option, at least I do!

Honored Contributor

Older beauty junkies are watching Youtube videos and buying the brands you mention too. I love my Urban Decay, Kat von D, etc. We older ladies are not solely into boring anti-aging skin care. I agree with your post, that adding in these brands will attract younger viewers. I also think Adding YouTube video tutorials with Wayne Goss no others will also boost sales ugh younger viewers. I watch these tutorials and I'm not young. 

Occasional Contributor

@ajsidney12 see I didn't even know they had Kat Von D at all. It seems like they get new products and vendors and never show them. Why even sell their products if they don't plan to advertise them.

And have you tried using an AHA or BHA? They might help if you have sensitive skin. Otherwise it could be the added fragrances. Those irritate the skin over time as well. Unfortunately parabens and talc are in almost everything

Occasional Contributor

@MindyD oh yes I see that there are more vloggers over the age of 35 on YouTube then ever, not to mention viewers. QVC must think there is mote profit in selling skin care then makeup idk
Honored Contributor

@fashionkilla I posted something similar but from and old(er) perspective.  I have granddaughter who are in their early teens.  The 14 year old wants to move into Ulta...she watches every YouTube thing she can.  She applies makeup (she can mainly only wear it at home) better than most adults.  When she does she looks like she's at least 18, 19 years old.  She's beautiful with light olive skin, never had any kind of zit or flaw on that amazing skin.

Me, her grandma would like to keep it that way.  Hence, I take her to Ulta and buy the quality makeup.  I'm sorry, I know most/many would disagree but I don't want her putting the cheap junk on her face.  I know some would disagree but it that's my opinion and after 70 years of life I'm not about to change.

I grew up as a teenager in the 60's.  I mainly love, love eye makeup.  I can put it on with a very steady hand and never leave my house without blush (sometimes liquid makeup) always eye liner, mascara, etc.  It makes a lot of difference.  Most people don't believe I'll be 70 in a few weeks mainly because I don't have any wrinkles but also because my skin doesn't have any dark marks on it.  I have used Dr. Denese since she first came to QVC but before that I went to a health store and bought Gycolic Acid and used it.  It keeps my skin from getting brown spots (aging) and I wear sun screen and have never worshiped the sun.

My daughter lives in Colorado and looks like she's 19 and she's 36.  She uses Dr. Denese (I pay for it).  My other daughter is 43 and has been carded.  We have good genes but we also take care of our skin.

I posted here that QVC obviously sets their sales to women in their maybe late 30's but I think more like 40's and so on.  Most women my age do not wear makeup...big mistake, I think.

Anyway, I said I thought QVC should have younger women selling the products, have them demonstrate the new styles for eye makeup (I love, love them).  Have younger models and aim for a younger age group.  Offer less expensive makeup.  There are mothers and grandmothers like me who don't mind buying quality makeup for their family members if it is priced right.

I also think they should have more diversity of models (darker skinned African Americans).  Sell hair products for African Americans and all.  It would be fun to watch some of the new makeup styles people are wearing.  I don't watch them on YouTube but I do see them and my granddaughter shows me how neat they are.  It's nothing for me to spend maybe $100 to $150 on a trip with her to Ulta.  I enjoy seeing her happy and it's fun.  QVC isn't tapping into people like me.  I'm bored with the stuff they sell.  Sometimes I buy it to give to my granddaughter (just bought Lori's makeup container thingy and she has lots of Laura Geller and IT eyeliner.  I love IT eyeliner and liquid makeup.

You are so right.  I wish QVC would listen to people like you.  It's difficult for me to get out and shop for very long so I'd probably order more on QVC.  Thanks for taking the time to post.

Also, wouldn't it be fun to watch demonstrations like on YouTube to put nails on and some of the amazing designs on there.

Periodically, I take my granddaughters to my nail salon and we get manicures and pedicures.  It's fun for both of us.

Honored Contributor

I almost forgot. QVC should carry NARS Creamy Concealer. They should carry Becca Peach. If you mix these two products, really dark undereye circles disappear. I use NARS in "Custard" shade. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't tried Anastasia yet,  but I know they are known for their brow line. Certainly even older QVC customers need some brow help.