Valued Contributor

I realize "as is" products run the gamut of almost like new on down to "wow, that's a huge scratch". Would it be possible to make tiers or levels...some kind of grading system for these products?

Example, I have purchased Dooney & Bourke bags "as is". Sometimes, they look brand new, sometimes not. I purchased one a while back that had a couple of light scratches (this is on one of the more expensive bags) i kept it, and the price was reasonable to me. A little savings, the scratches were on the back.

I just purchased 2 more within the last week, same higher priced leather.The one that came today had a very noticable scratch right near the logo, a few more front amd back and a noticable one inside. The one near the logo is noticable...bcz it's near the logo, where people look. I might have actually kept this bag if it were discounted deeper (and I feel it should be), but this was still $300. Now I'll be shipping it back and I'm out the $12 original shipping, which annoys me....and judging from the reviews on the "as is" bag, I am not alone.

If QVC would categorize the "as is" from "Like new" on down, with tiered pricing to match the degree of damage, wear, etc..I think you would have less returns, happier buyers and probably move the products faster.

I realize "as is" may have some damage, wear, etc...but the levels of degree seem to really be all over the place

Respected Contributor

Terrific idea!

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't think as is items are looked at that closely.  It would be great though if they were.

Honored Contributor

Re: As is products...tiers

[ Edited ]

Amen, I would love some type of " as is system", it would not be very hard to implement the system and I am sure they are looked at when returned, that would be SOP.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I think the whole point of as-is means you are taking a chance.  The description of as-is items tell you exactly what could be wrong with the items.  I would bet that someone's idea of like-new is someone else's idea of heavily damaged. 

I have noticed that the as-is discounts on some items are not worth the risk.  In the past, it seemed like the markdowns for as-is items was much greater than it is now.  The only time I see a really good markdown means only 1 size and 1 color is left.     

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I think the whole point of as-is means you are taking a chance.  The description of as-is items tell you exactly what could be wrong with the items.  I would bet that someone's idea of like-new is someone else's idea of heavily damaged. 

I have noticed that the as-is discounts on some items are not worth the risk.  In the past, it seemed like the markdowns for as-is items was much greater than it is now.  The only time I see a really good markdown means only 1 size and 1 color is left.     

@Lipstickdiva I get that I'm taking a chance on "as is"...as it's "as is". The problem lies in the fact that some "as is" items should be discounted FAR MORE than others. Take, for example the Dooney bag I just bought. Retail is $448, the Q has it on clearance for $349 (presumably new, although they seem to ship out "as is" at full price too, that's happened to me)...the "as is" is $291. The scratches on this bag are noticable, clearly noticable, and near the logo, where everyone looks. It had other scratches too, but the main, giant scratch near the logo is a NO for a $291 bag. Maybe someone else can live with it...I doubt it, since reviews on the "as is" bags say they send them back, scratch too deep/wide/big. I would keep it at $225 or below.
The last "as is" Toscana I purchased had a few scratches on the back. I felt the discounted price was reasonable, still $300+. Still a pricey bag, but I could live with the scratches.
I get the whole"take a chance" thing, but how many $12 shipping fees do you want to be out until you "land on one" that you can live with?...when it could be mitigated easily by the Q.

Personally, I would love to see actual images of what I'm buying , but that will likely never happen on QVC, as it requires time & labor costs for items that are discounted. If you purchase something on Ebay that's used, you want to see as much of what you're buying as possible. With all these new channels, maybe Q could set up an "as is" part of the website...even an auction type thing? Hosts would not be needed, just people who can assess the "as is" items, photo them and put them up online.
It'll likely never happen but you don't know until you ask...until then, there is Ebay, etc...

Honored Contributor

@Quse, I totally get where you're coming from.  For the most part I've had good luck with as-is except for handbags, which I just won't buy anymore and a watch.

The handbags I've received have always been horrible.  IMO they should have been taken to a Q outlet and sold for pennies on the dollar.  They looked like the ones the hosts throw all over because they sold out.  LOL 

I bought a watch once that had to have been an on air sample that was worn and worn and worn again, with the metal piece going through the same hole in the band everytime.  I never would have bought something like that.

But my guess is it's an impossibility to show every as-is item in it's actual condition.  I'm also guessing they wouldn't sell as much if they showed the actual item and the flaws. 

I've had good luck with clothing and all jewelry with the exception of that watch.  But no more handbags for me.   

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Quse, I totally get where you're coming from.  For the most part I've had good luck with as-is except for handbags, which I just won't buy anymore and a watch.

The handbags I've received have always been horrible.  IMO they should have been taken to a Q outlet and sold for pennies on the dollar.  They looked like the ones the hosts throw all over because they sold out.  LOL 

I bought a watch once that had to have been an on air sample that was worn and worn and worn again, with the metal piece going through the same hole in the band everytime.  I never would have bought something like that.

But my guess is it's an impossibility to show every as-is item in it's actual condition.  I'm also guessing they wouldn't sell as much if they showed the actual item and the flaws. 

I've had good luck with clothing and all jewelry with the exception of that watch.  But no more handbags for me.   

@Lipstickdiva I know, it's asking more than will likely ever happen. I don't really ever expect that they would show actual photos, that's a pipe dream, but stores discount merchandise at different levels all of the time according to wear or damage. Not sure why Q doesn't.

I just got another handbag today (bought 2 of the same "as is" in different colors). This one has almost an identical scratch as the one I received yesterday, but on the back of the bag, where it's not as noticable. Also in the different color, it doesn't stand out as starkly. I'll probably keep this one, as it's a beautiful bag and I think I can buff it out,but I just shake my head at the condition of some of these...like people drop kick them or something. Truthfully, I don't know how one could have a handbag look like some of these within a 30 day wear period. Then others are like new, hard pressed to find why they are selling "as is".

I've only purchased a few of "as is" clothing pieces and for the most part, they have stunk...literally, like perfume, and I can't stand the smell of most perfumes, especially if they are floral. 

I also bought and "as is" watch that was broken. Maybe it was one of the jewelry pieces that the hosts bang on tables or stand on to show how tough it is...lol

I've had pretty good luck with handbags for the most part, but they really are anywhere from " brand new" to "drop kicked at a frat party" and it's just the luck of the draw which you get...lol

Honored Contributor

While this would be nice, it simply is too labor intensive to be considered. All returns would have to be opened, graded, marked, then item numbers or choices within the item numbers offered....all not worth it for the money they will make on an as is item.

As is items are returnable in 30 days, just like regular merchandise. And 'as is' doesn't mean damaged, defective or incomplete. When I get something purchased 'as is' that fits any of those descriptions, I send it back for a full refund with all shipping charges credited. 

Valued Contributor

Re: As is products...tiers

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

While this would be nice, it simply is too labor intensive to be considered. All returns would have to be opened, graded, marked, then item numbers or choices within the item numbers offered....all not worth it for the money they will make on an as is item.

As is items are returnable in 30 days, just like regular merchandise. And 'as is' doesn't mean damaged, defective or incomplete. When I get something purchased 'as is' that fits any of those descriptions, I send it back for a full refund with all shipping charges credited. 

Sorry, but the last part isn't true for me or the OP. I just sent back an As Is Joan Rivers boyfriend white shirt medium (don't buy that one in about ten days anyone!) that arrived with the bottom side seam ripped! In March I tried turquoise earrings, but a stone was visibly missing. I'm not going to take a chance anymore that some damages can't be fixed, such as jewelry and I'm not going to pay a taylor to fix because then I wouldn't be saving any money. After all, often those were returned for a reason.