Honored Contributor

Re: Any possibility we can get a Prayer Forum?

[ Edited ]

I've been thinking about this a lot, praying about whether or not to say what I've been feeling.    Here goes, and I hope it's okay.   We've seen months of negative, resentful, even bitter, sarcastic and contemptuous comments on the topic of QVC's policy about religious posts.   As a life-long, Christian I believe in and cherish prayer.   I also believe that the simple request for prayer, and the simple response that we will pray is sufficient and holds remarkable and compelling power in its simplicity and restraint.   Spelling out a prayer in detail doesn't make it more powerful or real, and being limited in the words we can use doesn't diminish the impact or brilliance of our love.   

The way we treat one another every single day, in every single post, and the tenor and tone of our words all the time...   that's what speaks of who we are and the foundation and radiance of our faith.    Venting our feelings with rancor, petulance, and cynicism, and holding onto grudges for so long, seems to me to cast a dark shadow on the very faith we want to share and rejoice in.   
          At some point, wouldn't it behoove us, and be a glorious testimony of and testament to each person's belief system, for us to let go of the resentment and indignation, stop digging up past offenses (whether real or perceived), and move forward with grace and genuine good will toward each other...  including good will toward the moderators and the company that provides this forum?    I understand we have varied opinions, I genuinely respect everyone's perspectives, and I personally give them all careful and thoughtful consideration.    There's so much we can learn from each other, so we do need to hear even those things that are in polar opposition to the views we hold when entering a discussion.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gracie2014 wrote:

@Moonchilde they are allowed when making a buck..It happens all of the time when certain hosts sell jewelry, the bibles, figrines. rosary beads, etc...and people call in with their stories....QVC allocates time for these presentations to be made ..Just asking a question..Please note they always have a host who is not afraid to speak of his or her faith...the message I get is they are talking/making decisions out of both sides of their mouths..if prayer is ok..dogma ok, scripture ok/audio bible..The Lord's Prayer on the wide band ring..then what is the difference? I am talking about a closed group..and I see your point..but my point is I shouldn't have to scroll through pages of threads to see if folks are in need of prayer...Actually it is offensive to me..Haven't had my cup of coffee yet..so hope this makes sense...

This week has the npotential for being one of the most difficult and painful in my life..please pray for me to be given wisdom..thanks and God bless.

I wanted to say to your last comments, (((@gracie2014))), that I'm sorry to know this week has such potential for pain, I said a prayer for you, and I'll continue to hold you in my thoughts and prayers.❤️   (((gentle hugs)))

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

It should not be allowed as it is always exclusionary.

This is not the place.

Super Contributor

@dooBdoo, thanks so much! God bless!

Honored Contributor

gracie2014 wrote:

@dooBdoo, thanks so much! God bless!

You're welcome, @gracie2014. ❤️  One thing I know for sure...   we support each other, even when the posts or hearts aren't evident.    Like the stars in the sky, always there even when we can't see them, genuine good will is a constant and abiding presence and gift.

Super Contributor

@willomenia, so prayer is just for church, then perhaps the Q should remove the Lord's prayer ring,etc ...also there are quite a few elderly folks on the forums who can't get to church...what do you suggest they do? I happen to be one of those individuals.

Super Contributor

@Zhills Exactly my point! 

Honored Contributor

I find it no coicidence that when some "different" religious quotes started showing up on someone's signature, all of the religious posts suddenly became verboten. This was a religion that wasn't mainstream here and probably the powers that be didn't want to deal with the fall-out from having to allow some religions here and not others.

I seriously doubt that QVC wishes to get back into the business of allowing any religious content here. I think a random thread asking for good thoughts and a prayer may still continue and be over-looked by the moderators but I seriously doubt a Prayer forum would be permitted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

gracie2014 wrote:

@willomenia, so prayer is just for church, then perhaps the Q should remove the Lord's prayer ring,etc ...also there are quite a few elderly folks on the forums who can't get to church...what do you suggest they do? I happen to be one of those individuals.

In all fairness, @gracie2014, these forums aren't designed for what unfortunately are controversial areas:  religion and politics.    There are countless forums for those topics, so no one has to physically attend a place of worship, they don't need to rely on QVC to offer it, and the continuing pursuit to try and force this community to be something it isn't has proven to be fruitless and in my experience it only spreads and encourages frustration and even anger.   

Some of us have been moderators on forums, and I promise you it's not easy in any setting...  and adding politics or religion makes it close to impossible, particularly when the venue represents a public entity.    Of course, all of us can post what we want about this, but I do fear the continuing campaign to push QVC to suit our personal desires might have the unexpected and very sad result of causing them to rethink the forums altogether and close them completely...  this is happening on other boards, and it's a real possibility here.

Esteemed Contributor

While I think the intent is good, and I appreciate all those who take the time to say prayers on behalf of others, I don’t think a prayer/religious forum would work in this environment.  It could become a slippery slope pretty quickly.    Not all religions agree, including those that are Christian.  I can see it leading to arguments over philosophy or who has the “right” truth, etc.  I think QVC is wise in not allowing controversial topics such as religion and politics.  Those topics are very personal and can often become hot-button issues. 

QVC does allow us to have prayer posts/threads which I think is nice.  There are a lot of caring and wonderful people here.  They always rally when someone needs prayers/help/positive thoughts. I think keeping it simple is the key.  All one has to say is that they need prayers and others will let them know they're praying for them or sending positive thoughts. 

@gracie2014  Saying prayers for you this week.