Frequent Contributor

Advance Orders and Credit Card Charges

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Re: Advance Orders and Credit Card Charges

Maybe you shouldn't use your credit card if there's a chance it won't be any good.  That's probably why many places check first to make sure there are funds.  I get that a lot from online shopping at many places. 

Honored Contributor

I have one local place that charges 1.00 to make sure the account isn't bogus.  OK by me.  

Respected Contributor

Every online company that I shop with using my CC always checks to see if my account is legitimate by doing a $1.00 charge that is pending until the item ships or I cancel.

Frequent Contributor

You know, I really should think more before I post on these forums,not just here I mean any type of discussion forum, and I promise I will from now on, it seems like someone always misunderstands and I end up feeling like I've said or done the wrong thing, and I hate that feeling so much. I envy those who are able to make friends and have a nice conversation in places like this. I did not mean anything personal about myself by posting this and I'm sorry if I gave that impression. My credit card is fine and barring any serious misfortunes will be fine later too.  I was merely commenting on the fact that the hosts keep saying "your credit card will be not be charged until the item ships" when they're selling advance order items and that is not technically true. Even if it's a temporary charge it is still a charge. And under certain circumstances that can sometimes be inconvenient. As I said, I have advance ordered lots of holiday items at QVC not due for release until November or December for years and they never took an authorization before, not even $1, but lately that's changed. That's all I was trying to say. I was commenting on a change of policy I have recently observed. And yes, I agree, most places do take a small authorization to make sure the card is good at the time of purchase, that happened when I signed up for a free trial at Nefflix so I could watch Season 4 of Lucifer, and I was fine with it, I just meant that this is something new I've noticed recently at QVC. Sorry I should not have posted at all. I will try not to in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

@brandy77 wrote:

You know, I really should think more before I post on these forums,not just here I mean any type of discussion forum, and I promise I will from now on, it seems like someone always misunderstands and I end up feeling like I've said or done the wrong thing, and I hate that feeling so much. I envy those who are able to make friends and have a nice conversation in places like this. I did not mean anything personal about myself by posting this and I'm sorry if I gave that impression. My credit card is fine and barring any serious misfortunes will be fine later too.  I was merely commenting on the fact that the hosts keep saying "your credit card will be not be charged until the item ships" when they're selling advance order items and that is not technically true. Even if it's a temporary charge it is still a charge. And under certain circumstances that can sometimes be inconvenient. As I said, I have advance ordered lots of holiday items at QVC not due for release until November or December for years and they never took an authorization before, not even $1, but lately that's changed. That's all I was trying to say. I was commenting on a change of policy I have recently observed. And yes, I agree, most places do take a small authorization to make sure the card is good at the time of purchase, that happened when I signed up for a free trial at Nefflix so I could watch Season 4 of Lucifer, and I was fine with it, I just meant that this is something new I've noticed recently at QVC. Sorry I should not have posted at all. I will try not to in the future.

Please don't stop posting. I knew exactly what you meant when I read your post. We have a lot of people that do not take the time to really read posts before they say insulting comments. 
Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Maybe you shouldn't use your credit card if there's a chance it won't be any good.  That's probably why many places check first to make sure there are funds.  I get that a lot from online shopping at many places. 

Where did the OP say her card would not be good? Maybe you should reread each post so you understand what the poster is saying. 

QVC Customer Care
Regular Contributor

I think it's just to check that the card is valid and will go thru in the future.
Regular Contributor

A pending charge is not the same as a charge that's posted, and shouldn't really affect your true balance but will probably do so to available balance.