Valued Contributor

Re: Adding to other conversations about hosts mispronouncing words constantly.

@LorelaiGilmore wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

So where in the U.S. do people pronounce the two words in the the way noted by the OP? They're still wrong!

Regional differences? I think not!

Yes! These two words don't have alternate pronunciations. This is not a regional issue.

@LorelaiGilmore  The different pronunciation of words rin spite of their spelling is exactly what characterizes a regional dialect. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is a BIG country and there are lots of variances in speech. I got that lesson mid-last century because my parents drove us all over the lower 48, and I was hearing it first-hand. I love language, and marvel at the variety in pronunciation and phrasing. 

Super Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@LorelaiGilmore wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

So where in the U.S. do people pronounce the two words in the the way noted by the OP? They're still wrong!

Yes! These two words don't have alternate pronunciations. This is not a regional issue.

@LorelaiGilmore  The different pronunciation of words rin spite of their spelling is exactly what characterizes a regional dialect. 

These words have correct and incorrect pronunciations, regardless of where one comes from, and regardless of how many people misprounounce them.
“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Valued Contributor

@LorelaiGilmore wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@LorelaiGilmore wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

These words have correct and incorrect pronunciations, regardless of where one comes from, and regardless of how many people misprounounce them.

@LorelaiGilmore  Words may have phoenetic pronounciations in the dictionary, but as it has been pointed out several times in this thread, people from different regions have different ways of pronouncing them which are socially acceptable. It is ignorant to believe that everyone should speak how they deem acceptable, because they simply don’t and won’t.

Super Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@LorelaiGilmore wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@LorelaiGilmore wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

@LorelaiGilmore  Words may have phoenetic pronounciations in the dictionary, but as it has been pointed out several times in this thread, people from different regions have different ways of pronouncing them which are socially acceptable. It is ignorant to believe that everyone should speak how they deem acceptable, because they simply don’t and won’t.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I believe specifically that the two words mentioned in the original post have correct pronunciations. It's not about what may be "socially acceptable".

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Honored Contributor

You know, in certain forums this might be a pertinent discussion, but for us average people, why on earth does this matter?  If a host can't pronounce words associated with her job, that's a professional matter and a different discussion. 

Like someone said, are we going after the people who lecture at Harvard and still don't pronounce their "r's?"

To me it seems like one-upmanship to even engage in discussion this topic at this point in world history. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think everyone will feel better about it if they just take a deep breath and enjoy a slice of punkin pie.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is no Z in electricity. That's not regional. We have a local news anchor who always pronounces it electrizity.

It does bother me with a newscaster. 

People who demand that others pronounce things correctly should check their grammar.  I is a subject. Me is an object (direct or indirect). The poster has since edited/deleted the offending sentence (Or, maybe, it was elsewhere. I don't remember. But, I do remember being struck by the irony), but, people who live in glass houses -- you know. 

ETA

I'm not referring to OP of this thread.

Esteemed Contributor

I am curious about the association of “wicked” with New England.  I’ve lived in NE forever and never heard that.  I wonder if it is an adjective that some kids use?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

I am curious about the association of “wicked” with New England.  I’ve lived in NE forever and never heard that.  I wonder if it is an adjective that some kids use?

I don't know. I read that it became popular in the 60s. I don't know if it started in Boston or wound up there from other parts of New England. 

There was speculation that it derived from Salem, Puritans, wicca, witches, then wicked became a positive (almost superlative) adverb in the 60s -- like bad meaning good, fat meaning great, you get the idea.