Trusted Contributor

Adding to other conversations about hosts mispronouncing words constantly.

I wish I could fix this problem that has aggravated me for years!

Hosts are supposed to be intelligent and articulate when selling items. But I can't take ANYBODY educated in the United States mispronouncing the following words:

realtor

jewelry

Why do these college graduates, many who have worked in journalism and broadcasting before coming to the Q, still mispronounce these two words???

The hosts sell jewelry on air, while constantly saying "jew-ler-ree".

And I know several realtors who say real-i-tor".

After many years, I wrote to one host who constantly said jewelry incorrectly and nicely told her how it is spelled and pronounced. She never corrected her speech. You can see some of the jewelry designers cringe when these hosts do this. I think this subject should enter a host meeting.

Thank you, I now feel better.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Adding to other conversations about hosts mispronouncing words constantly.

You can go online an ask how to pronounce Realtor and Jewelry.

Then everyone should then be able to pronounce it correctly.  Not hard at all.

Honored Contributor

Can't imagine we'll see changes, because I think what we hear are the pronunciations the various hosts have heard and said for their entire lives.  Unless they were corrected at some point, I don't think what aggravates some has anything to do with intelligence.  They don't even hear what you hear.  

English is always changing because so many people speak it.  Pronunciations, word usage, even word meanings and spelling change  just because of common use.  That's why reading Beowulf or even the "newer" words of Shakespeare frustrates so many.  Further, I think with the advent of TV and now the Internet all languages are changing faster than they ever did in the past.

Some days I think "between you and !" is going to become accepted usage before Iong.  Not sure I'll live to see it, but it hasn't been all that long in language history since "It's me" replaced the very proper "it's I" in the spoken language.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't really understand this.  All regions in the country pronounce things differently.  It could just be their partifcular accent and how it is pronounced where they are from.  It certainly has nothing to do with their intelligence.  Being a New England girl where our accents are "wicked" bad....LOL  it doesn't bother me in the least.  Lighten up, there are a lot worse things to tolerate in this world.

Valued Contributor

People all over the USA have different regional dialects which influence the way they say a variety of words. Most people who’ve traveled beyond their sofas and TVs showing QVC 24/7 understand that. Anyone who says, “you’re wrong for not talking like me” is saying more about what they don’t know than what they are asserting they believe that they do know.

Trusted Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I don't really understand this.  All regions in the country pronounce things differently.  It could just be their partifcular accent and how it is pronounced where they are from.  It certainly has nothing to do with their intelligence.  Being a New England girl where our accents are "wicked" bad....LOL  it doesn't bother me in the least.  Lighten up, there are a lot worse things to tolerate in this world.

I have to agree...I am originally from the Pittsburgh area.  The people there speak a language of their own...and I get a real kick out of it.  I miss living in the area, but family and employment took me to eastern pa.     If you ever need a good laugh...check out Pittsburgh Dad on you tube.  Hilarious.  He sounds like many of my old friends and family.  

BTW...I love the New England accent.  😀

Trusted Contributor

I am a stickler for grammar and diction, but the two words mentioned are very commonly mispronounced.

In my opinion, this is not a sign of stupidity, just human error.

Honored Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

I wish I could fix this problem that has aggravated me for years!

Hosts are supposed to be intelligent and articulate when selling items. But I can't take ANYBODY educated in the United States mispronouncing the following words:

realtor

jewelry

Why do these college graduates, many who have worked in journalism and broadcasting before coming to the Q, still mispronounce these two words???

The hosts sell jewelry on air, while constantly saying "jew-ler-ree".

And I know several realtors who say real-i-tor".

After many years, I wrote to one host who constantly said jewelry incorrectly and nicely told her how it is spelled and pronounced. She never corrected her speech. You can see some of the jewelry designers cringe when these hosts do this. I think this subject should enter a host meeting.

Thank you, I now feel better.

@keithsmom65 

Two simple words to explain your dilemma....IT"S REGIONAL!!! Just because you and others living in your area say things a certain way doesn't necessarily mean that it is the "correct" way to pronounce those words. Maybe you've never travelled the US? But you'll quickly discover that there is a certain dialect in every part of the country. Relax, turn the tv off and enjoy your day. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Some areas of the country and many people do pronounce things differently than most of us.  As long as the meaning is clear who cares!!??  Does that make them an inferior person and not worth knowing?  It's rather rude and (no way to "nicely" point out something you think needs corrected over something so trivial) high and mighty to confront someone and tell them they are pronouncing something wrong that has no real effect on anyone's life!!  If it would be something that has real significance to anyone's life maybe but for pronounciation!!  I guess for some it makes them feel superior.  I don't need to show superiority in life.  I am who I am and let others be who they are unless their attitude is to correct  others whether it be spelling, grammar, pronounciation,etc. is something that needs pointing out and it bothers me and I wish I could fix that problem.  

Trusted Contributor

You say "to-may-to" and I say "to-mah-to."  Let's call the whole thing off.  LOL.

Yes, regional.  I'm from Lawn-Guyland (could there be a worse accent?) and married someone from the midwest.  It used to drive me crazy with the way he pronounced and used certain words.  BUT life is too short to get upset about these things.  If you don't like it, switch the channel and watch something else.