Trusted Contributor

Re: Adding to other conversations about hosts mispronouncing words constantly.

I agree with what you said, but when watching a 4-hour jewelry show and the hosts keep saying jew-ler-ree it can drive you nuts. I'd like to see the products, but I can't tolerate that word.

Also, jew-ler-ree and real-i-tor are not dialects!!

Trusted Contributor

No, it certainly was not!  I only vented about jewelry and realtor being mispronounced. I am afraid I'm not familiar with your post about pumpkins, or punkins.

Trusted Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I don't really understand this.  All regions in the country pronounce things differently.  It could just be their partifcular accent and how it is pronounced where they are from.  It certainly has nothing to do with their intelligence.  Being a New England girl where our accents are "wicked" bad....LOL  it doesn't bother me in the least.  Lighten up, there are a lot worse things to tolerate in this world.

It is not the different pronounciations that bother me. As others have said, it is regional. It is the poor grammar that is embarrassing, particularly since many of the hosts are trained broadcasters. I blame it on QVC for not having someone monitoring the hosts and correcting them. There was a host that was on QVC for many years, who left last year, that had quite a pronounced regional accent when she started. It was not an attractive accent, but over the years she managed to get rid of it and became quite a pleasure to listen to. The host was Sharon Fasch. I don't know if she did this on her own or was encouraged to do so by the powers that be, but it was an amazing transformation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand the way some pronunciations grate.  My dad has a PhD in English/Lit/History so we all grew up with that learning experience.    

I have friends in different parts of the country who speak quite different than I do.  Heavens, I can drive 2 hours south and feel like it's a foreign language.  Jewlery and Realitor are common in the southern midwest as well as east coast.   Words are pronounced differently in various parts of the country.  

Hosts on shopping networks are not trained or expected to speak to the public like a journalist or other professional public speaker.  They're salespeople who can talk and sell, no matter the dialect or pronuniciation.

I don't get the big hangup on all this. People have too much time on their hands if some stranger on tv can bother them.

Contributor

I completely agree with the original poster. People who mispronounce  jewelry and realtor make me cringe too.  These mispronunciations are not regional, they're just wrong!  Sound out the words the way you taught your children to read!  Thank you.  I feel better now.

Honored Contributor

Good grief, this has you yelling at people and all freaked out?  Relax, its not earth shattering and everyone will survive.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are also many cultural "incorrect" pronounciations of words.  Do those of you who are sticklers correct them also!!??

'

Respected Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

I agree with what you said, but when watching a 4-hour jewelry show and the hosts keep saying jew-ler-ree it can drive you nuts. I'd like to see the products, but I can't tolerate that word.

Also, jew-ler-ree and real-i-tor are not dialects!!

I wouldn't spend 4 hours watching something that drove me nuts. But then I am rarely driven nuts by something as trivial as this. 

Esteemed Contributor

Frankly, QVC probaly  benefis t from Hosts  with so many different daialects  . The more you make your customers feel comfortable the more apt  they feel like buying .  I don't have an issue with so many Hosts being from so many different states with all their  varied accents . I only take issue when  the Hosts or  sales rep yell all  during the presentation . Or if they mumble  like one particulate  Host  tends to do .