Super Contributor

Interesting OP. I don't get any ""pop up"" blocks when hitting submit on caps.

Honored Contributor
On 10/15/2014 hopeQ1 said:

Interesting OP. I don't get any ""pop up"" blocks when hitting submit on caps.

Right - that's why the OP said that's a moderating tool that some other forums use - not this forum.

Honored Contributor
On 10/13/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

Hello, moonchilde. Smile

I'm not trying to put down your suggestion at all. Just saying that some people type in all caps because they have a little trouble reading text.

There are ways, though, for the sight-impaired to modify both computers and tablets to increase text and font size, contrast, etc. in the settings. I know legally blind people who use these settings. If someone has serious sight issues, they would most likely know about and use these settings. If people with less than serious sight issues choose to type in all caps for their own convenience, knowing as 98% of internet users do that it is considered rude, they are pretty much saying they know it's rude and they're going to do it anyway because they choose to. People like Goldie, perhaps.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor
On 10/15/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 10/13/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

Hello, moonchilde. Smile

I'm not trying to put down your suggestion at all. Just saying that some people type in all caps because they have a little trouble reading text.

I've read a few people state that, and the same for a few who type in bold all the time. But my question is - how do they read all the other posts? Or do they just read their own?

This. They manage to read all the posts on the forum that are not typed in all caps or all bold, so just how necessary is it? I think it's a habit and a preference more than a necessity.
Honored Contributor
On 10/15/2014 Matty6 said:
On 10/13/2014 Goldie22 said: REALLY COMPLAINING HOW PEOPLE TYPE, OMG GET A LIFE! SOMETIMES IT'S JUST EASIER FOR SOME PEOPLE TO SEE WHAT THEY ARE TYPING. I THINK THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.

Why are you typing in all caps{#emotions_dlg.confused1} Not complaining, just slightly curious. I mean SLIGHTY LOL{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Irony clearly escapes her. She's doing it to demonstrate that it's okay to be deliberately rude, because she can.
Super Contributor
RUDE NEVER CAME TO MIND SO DON'T . SPEAK YOUR MIND FOR ME!!!!!! I ONLY READ THE POSTS IN CAPS OR THE LARGER PRINTS.
Contributor

Who made up these rules? I think it's silly. I don't think all caps are shouting or any of the other stuff. Someone assigns words to something and we are supposed to believe it.

It's so petty in the scheme of things. Now it's rude as well ?

And the OP wants the webmaster to limit the number of caps in a thread title ?

WHAT IS THIS, JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL ? Now what we type needs to be monitored as well?

How picky and petty can anyone get ? This extensive scrutinizing is so childish I can't believe it !

I assume the majority of posters here are women, GROWN women. What is all of this petty behavior I'm reading lately ? It's embarrassing to our gender.

Honored Contributor
On 10/22/2014 mdseredyahoocom said:

Who made up these rules? I think it's silly. I don't think all caps are shouting or any of the other stuff. Someone assigns words to something and we are supposed to believe it.

WHAT IS THIS, JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL ? Now what we type needs to be monitored as well?

How picky and petty can anyone get ? This extensive scrutinizing is so childish I can't believe it !

I assume the majority of posters here are women, GROWN women. What is all of this petty behavior I'm reading lately ? It's embarrassing to our gender.

You ask "Who made up these rules?" Are you familiar with etiquette? For example, it's considered impolite to talk with a mouthful of food; right? Who made that or any other of the myriad rules that most of us try to abide by at least most of the time?

If you do a google search, you will find that there is such a thing as "netiquette," which refers to behavior online. And yes, one of the main aspects of netiquette is that typing in all caps in a post is the equivalent of shouting at people.

It is rude. And on top of that, all-caps in anything that is longer than maybe a few sentences is much more difficult to read. If you've ever had had to wade through a lengthy transcript that someone produced in all-caps, you'd know how exhausting it is.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
On 10/22/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 10/22/2014 mdseredyahoocom said:

You ask "Who made up these rules?" Are you familiar with etiquette? For example, it's considered impolite to talk with a mouthful of food; right? Who made that or any other of the myriad rules that most of us try to abide by at least most of the time?

If you do a google search, you will find that there is such a thing as "netiquette," which refers to behavior online. And yes, one of the main aspects of netiquette is that typing in all caps in a post is the equivalent of shouting at people.

It is rude. And on top of that, all-caps in anything that is longer than maybe a few sentences is much more difficult to read. If you've ever had had to wade through a lengthy transcript that someone produced in all-caps, you'd know how exhausting it is.

Great post, suzyQ3. Lengthy text in all lower-case is also very hard to read.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova