Honored Contributor

Re: A box that tells contents at Christmas - really?

I have ordered several gifts this year for Christmas on-line.  None of them have been from QVC.

Every company has had a warning if the item ships from the manufacturer in the box that would reveal what the item is.     

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Hopefully the gift was something he really wanted and you had spoken with him about it.

I don't do surprises any longer -  at least not for those over 10 years old.  Seems like almost everyone I know prefers to shop for themselves -  or they give a very detailed wish list to those shopping for them, so what we'd buy wouldn't really be much of a surprise.  I dislike those lists almost as much as I do gift cards to specific shops or restaurants.  If that makes me a curmudgeon, then that's what I am.

What I don’t do any longer is waste my money on gifts that I think a recipient “should” want - either because it’s age-appropriate, sex-appropriate, or because I want them to have it, period. 

I was often a victim of that - my mother and sister knew what I didn’t like as far as clothing style, material and colors, and what I did like. It made no difference to either of them - they bought me what they wanted to buy me, and I was just nuts if I didn’t love it too - never mind that it was the garment created for me to hate as far as color, fabric, style and fit. What I wanted was immaterial - what they wanted to get me was what I received. I never wore any of it.

These days I ask, and pay attention to the answers. If I just have no clue but know where interests lie, I’ll get gift cards, because the point is that when I do that, I know I’m getting them something where they can choose exactly what they actually want. Just me, but I’d rather do that than spend the same amount on something they will wad up and toss in the back of the closet or shove under the bed - or regift.

@Moonchilde  Bless you for saying this!  I think so often when something is a surprise, something they wouldn't buy for themselves, or something you just THINK they would like, it turns out to be a big dud for the recipient.  I know this because I used to try to surprise someone with my cleaver gift and boy did it bomb a number of times.  

Also was an expensive bomb a couple of time. . . so there you have it!  Bad on me. Just ASK. If they don't want anything specific, gift card or cash.  I don't think many people don't like C A S H !

@Sooner, I know it’s traditionally been thought through most of my life that gift cards “showed no effort” and are “the easy way out”, and were considered a lazy, sloppy, “bad” gift. I don’t think that’s the case for maybe the last 10-12 years or so. Look at the multiple racks of gift cards in supermarkets and drug stores - literally something for everyone.

If you know someone shops at Store X but not their size, why not a gift card to Store X? If a giftee and/or hubby like to eat out, what better than a GC so they have a meal “on the giftor.”

In my case I have three boys to buy for - 17, 13 and 12. The oldest loves gift cards. He isn’t driving/doesn’t have a car yet and was thrilled with an Uber card for his b/d. He’s getting another for Xmas and an i-Tunes card. The two younger, whom not even their moms have a clue what to suggest, I got GC’s to Toys r Us and i-Tunes. No discarded items they will never look at again once the box is opened.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

YOU probably should have thought it through first.

Respected Contributor

For my recent birthday, a good friend at work gave me a gift card for my favorite grocery store.  I took that baby straight to the store when I did my weekly shopping........MUCH appreciated!   @Moonchilde

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

For my recent birthday, a good friend at work gave me a gift card for my favorite grocery store.  I took that baby straight to the store when I did my weekly shopping........MUCH appreciated!   @Moonchilde

@2blonde, I recently mentioned in another thread that when I was working, our bosses gave Trader Joe’s gift cards as our Xmas gift. We loved them.

I have told those buying for me that there really isn’t any clothing I need, or anything I can honestly think of (that people could afford, lol), so I’m asking for gift cards for massages, facials, restaurants, whale or otter-watching cruises, etc., which I will use with much pleasure.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

One of the best gifts I ever got was a gift card for the CAR WASH!!!! Woman LOL

How wonderful to have a clean car!  FREE!

Esteemed Contributor

The Bose rep said that they shipped straight from Bose and it would say Bose on the outside of the box.

Honored Contributor

How hum, it must be Christmas.  Same complaints every year.  I wonder who'll be the first to post "QVC ruined my Christmas"?  It's usually a new poster so we'll get to make a new friend.  Think of the trees saved when only one box is used.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Check the item description.  Many of the Q's items say the items name may be on the packaging.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

on the item page in bold print it will say "if gift you may want to send to another address because item is shipped directly from vendor & the name will be on the box" or something like this.

I saw it when I was looking at a few items to purchase from Kitchen Aid from Q.

out of curiosity I'd check the item description.  Sorry that happened but you'll know next time!