Occasional Contributor

A box that tells contents at Christmas - really?

UPS delivered a box Saturday that contained a "GIFT" I ordered from QVC. The gift was for my husband. I was out of town, so husband met the driver and brought the box in the house. Problem is, the cardboard box clearly described the contents. Really? Ho ho hum. 

Spoiler
Man Surprised
Honored Contributor

Re: A box that tells contents at Christmas - really?

Oh No so sorry that happened. Nothing like taking the Surprise out of the gift before it's given. Been there done that.

Respected Contributor

I got one of those, too...only it "wasn't" from QVC. You'd think, at this time of year, companies would at least give us the option of plain boxes.

And before anyone suggests that I have it sent to me at work, I work with my DH (which is who most of my gifts are for). We ride together, so get home at the same time.

Respected Contributor

@okwriter  Not only that, but if no one was home, it would also make it easier for the thieves!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

As I was doing my shopping on Amazon, when I would go to check out and pay for my purchases, it would sometimes say something to the effect of, "If this is a gift, the product may be listed on the outsideof the box".

So it is NOT only QVC where this happens.

Honored Contributor

Hopefully the gift was something he really wanted and you had spoken with him about it.

I don't do surprises any longer -  at least not for those over 10 years old.  Seems like almost everyone I know prefers to shop for themselves -  or they give a very detailed wish list to those shopping for them, so what we'd buy wouldn't really be much of a surprise.  I dislike those lists almost as much as I do gift cards to specific shops or restaurants.  If that makes me a curmudgeon, then that's what I am.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

As I was doing my shopping on Amazon, when I would go to check out and pay for my purchases, it would sometimes say something to the effect of, "If this is a gift, the product may be listed on the outsideof the box".

So it is NOT only QVC where this happens.

Amazon is now pretty prominent with this notification. At one time it was easy to miss, but now quite visible in the ordering process.

Many of the QVC offerings are direct-ship from the mfg all year long. At Xmas when all companies that do online business are promoting being able to receive a gift at the last minute, no one (QVC or the mfg) is going to pull certain orders out to re-box them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

I ordered an electronic item in a large box from hsn.  Shipment was tracked by me daily, coming UPS.  The day delivery was supposed to be made, I watched for the truck as my house sits up a steep driveway and I went outside garage door because daughter was due home soon and I didn't want to spoil surprise.  The driver stops my daughter down on the road to say his back-up camera isn't working and if she would take it up.  In her car, picture all over the box, she drives up the driveway.  There went that surprise.  She had never met him and he didn't ask who she was.  There are 2 other houses further up our shared driveway. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Hopefully the gift was something he really wanted and you had spoken with him about it.

I don't do surprises any longer -  at least not for those over 10 years old.  Seems like almost everyone I know prefers to shop for themselves -  or they give a very detailed wish list to those shopping for them, so what we'd buy wouldn't really be much of a surprise.  I dislike those lists almost as much as I do gift cards to specific shops or restaurants.  If that makes me a curmudgeon, then that's what I am.

What I don’t do any longer is waste my money on gifts that I think a recipient “should” want - either because it’s age-appropriate, sex-appropriate, or because I want them to have it, period. 

I was often a victim of that - my mother and sister knew what I didn’t like as far as clothing style, material and colors, and what I did like. It made no difference to either of them - they bought me what they wanted to buy me, and I was just nuts if I didn’t love it too - never mind that it was the garment created for me to hate as far as color, fabric, style and fit. What I wanted was immaterial - what they wanted to get me was what I received. I never wore any of it.

These days I ask, and pay attention to the answers. If I just have no clue but know where interests lie, I’ll get gift cards, because the point is that when I do that, I know I’m getting them something where they can choose exactly what they actually want. Just me, but I’d rather do that than spend the same amount on something they will wad up and toss in the back of the closet or shove under the bed - or regift.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

What I don’t do any longer is waste my money on gifts that I think a recipient “should” want - either because it’s age-appropriate, sex-appropriate, or because I want them to have it, period. 

I was often a victim of that - my mother and sister knew what I didn’t like as far as clothing style, material and colors, and what I did like. It made no difference to either of them - they bought me what they wanted to buy me, and I was just nuts if I didn’t love it too - never mind that it was the garment created for me to hate as far as color, fabric, style and fit. What I wanted was immaterial - what they wanted to get me was what I received. I never wore any of it.

These days I ask, and pay attention to the answers. If I just have no clue but know where interests lie, I’ll get gift cards, because the point is that when I do that, I know I’m getting them something where they can choose exactly what they actually want. Just me, but I’d rather do that than spend the same amount on something they will wad up and toss in the back of the closet or shove under the bed - or regift.

@Moonchilde  Bless you for saying this!  I think so often when something is a surprise, something they wouldn't buy for themselves, or something you just THINK they would like, it turns out to be a big dud for the recipient.  I know this because I used to try to surprise someone with my cleaver gift and boy did it bomb a number of times.  

Also was an expensive bomb a couple of time. . . so there you have it!  Bad on me. Just ASK. If they don't want anything specific, gift card or cash.  I don't think many people don't like C A S H !