Esteemed Contributor

"walk off"...what does that mean?

I keep hearing the term "walk off" applied to different situations in sports.

Walk off homer; walk off loss. 

What does it mean?  That the teams "walk off" the field?  Is it the latest buzz phrase?  Although I know it's been around for awhle.  I've heard it in the past and thought I understood it.  But the way it's being used lately, I'm not sure.

What does it mean?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Re: "walk off"...what does that mean?

@esmerelda wrote:

I keep hearing the term "walk off" applied to different situations in sports.

Walk off homer; walk off loss. 

What does it mean?  That the teams "walk off" the field?  Is it the latest buzz phrase?  Although I know it's been around for awhle.  I've heard it in the past and thought I understood it.  But the way it's being used lately, I'm not sure.

What does it mean?

Home run that ends the game is a walk off homer.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Yeah, I know that.  It looks like it applies similarly in other circumstances.  I've done some looking around and have seen walk-off sacrifice, walk-off grandslam. 

So I guess it really does mean something that ends the game and lets the teams "walk off" the field. 

Strike out, walk (when bases are loaded and winning run walks in), etc.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  Yeah, I know that.  It looks like it applies similarly in other circumstances.  I've done some looking around and have seen walk-off sacrifice, walk-off grandslam. 

So I guess it really does mean something that ends the game and lets the teams "walk off" the field. 

@esmerelda . It occurs in the bottom of the ninth, since that’s when the home team is up.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@esmerelda . It occurs in the bottom of the ninth, since that’s when the home team is up.

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  So given that every game ends with a walk-off something, even if it's the last out in the bottom of the ninth.  Walk-off out. 

Kind of stupid...IMO.

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is what I understand it to mean.  The home team is losing the game...let's say 5-3.  With 2 men on base, a player hits a home run with only 1 or 2 men out.  The home team wins 6-5, and "walks off" as the winner before there are 3 outs.

My grandson 's team won a game with a walk off walk when the score was tied.  The bases were loaded with 1 out in the bottom of the last inning.  The pitcher walked the next player, resulting in a run and the win.  You "walk off" with the win without getting 3 batters out.

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

This is what I understand it to mean.  The home team is losing the game...let's say 5-3.  With 2 men on base, a player hits a home run with only 1 or 2 men out.  The home team wins 6-5, and "walks off" as the winner before there are 3 outs.

My grandson 's team won a game with a walk off walk when the score was tied.  The bases were loaded with 1 out in the bottom of the last inning.  The pitcher walked the next player, resulting in a run and the win.  You "walk off" with the win without getting 3 batters out.

@mac116. Yes. Some people who aren’t familiar with baseball don’t understand that the home team is always up last and if they go ahead while they are up, there is no chance for the other team to win so the game is over as soon as that happens.

Honored Contributor

From Wikepedia:

In baseball, a walk-off home run is a home run that ends the game. It must be a home run that gives the home team the lead (and consequently, the win) in the bottom of the final inningof the game. Thus the losing team (the visiting team) must then "walk off" the field immediately afterward, rather than finishing the inning, and the winning team (the home team) can "walk off" the field with the win. The winning runs must still be counted at home plate.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

All I know is that it causes my DH to say a bad word when it happens to the other team in baseball.⚾