Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  I'm sorry to see David's career ending this way.  He was a great player, and a great guy, but could have been much more.  The Mets still owe him for 2019 and 2020, $27 million total.   And they hurt themselves financially by activating David for this one game so he can play third base: the amount of insurance money they collect on his contract will be reduced.  I don't suppose it is much, but an article I read thought it was noteworthy.  Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Jordan2  I'm sorry to see David's career ending this way.  He was a great player, and a great guy, but could have been much more.  The Mets still owe him for 2019 and 2020, $27 million total.   And they hurt themselves financially by activating David for this one game so he can play third base: the amount of insurance money they collect on his contract will be reduced.  I don't suppose it is much, but an article I read thought it was noteworthy.  

@ValuSkr  I agree with you 100%. David Wright was an excellent player & a classy guy to boot.The Mets actually owe him $47 million .IMO David was the best they had since Mike Piazza.

I also heard that he will play on 9/29 & Jose Reyes will be playing shortstop!! Oh what memories!!

Props to management for taking the insurance hit to give David the send off he so richly deserves!!

My son has a friend who works in the ticket office & he’s getting us tickets for the game!!

GO DAVID.GO METS!!

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Jordan2  I'm sorry to see David's career ending this way.  He was a great player, and a great guy, but could have been much more.  The Mets still owe him for 2019 and 2020, $27 million total.   And they hurt themselves financially by activating David for this one game so he can play third base: the amount of insurance money they collect on his contract will be reduced.  I don't suppose it is much, but an article I read thought it was noteworthy.  Smiley Frustrated

@ValuSkr, being that he is the captain of the team I think the Mets had to do this. They would have taken a public relations hit if it seemed like they were trying to save some money, I think the fans wouldn't have gone along with it. He has been a good soldier, and deserves going out on his own terms.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure the Mets will send him off in a big way and the stadium will be sold-out.  Hopefully he won't make any errors at third base.  Smiley Happy  Here he is at today's press conference, with John Ricco (Asst GM) and Jeff Wilpon (COO) looking uncomfortable as the waterworks begin.david wright.JPG

Honored Contributor

I am so sad to see his career end this way, but it is not unexpected. Kudos to the Mets for doing the right thing and giving him the send off he deserves. 

I wish him nothing but the best in his future.  Most of all, I wish him good health going forward.  

He is a classy player and man and deserves all the good things coming his way. 

Thank you, Captain,  for giving it your all! 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm just about ready to throw in the towel regarding the Mets! I'm ready to move on to the Jets, who will also break my heart!

Have faith. Smiley Happy

@JaneMarple, it's really hard to keep the faith when you are surrounded by YANKEES FANS!!!

@Jordan2 @JaneMarple I hear ya.... the area of NJ I live/work in has tons of Phillies fans too! Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@IslanderGirl62 wrote:

@Hellcat64 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

The Mets got off to a spectacular start, but as a Mets fan I couldn't get too excited, we always are waiting for the other shoe to drop! Now they have fallen back to what I expected they were. Living in NYC, I had to hear on sports talk radio Yankee fans who were ready to jump off the nearest bridge on how the Yankee season started. The Yankees being the Yankees, I knew they would right the ship, they always do. The Mets finally cut ties with Matt Harvey ( he just got traded to the Reds), I was a Harvey fan in the beginning but he never lived up to his promise, also I couldn't take his behavior on and off the field. People say to me, just root for the Yankees, I'm true blue, I just can't!

Die hard Mets Fan here also. It’s too easy to be a Yankees fan.

Also like no DH.

Mets fan here too - I laugh at some of my friends claiming to be Yankees fans.  When Jeter was still playing, I asked them to name 5 Yankee players besides Jeter - well they could name 1 or 2 (e.g. Posada, Teixeria), but not more than that!  Not true fans if you ask me! 

@IslanderGirl62  @Jordan2 No fair weather fans HERE!! Heart Diehards stick with a team through thick and thin; like David Wright said in his final speech 'the fans always had his back'. Heart I hope he'll be part of the front office now- or even coach. That would be awesome!

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I’m one of those ever suffering Mets fans!! I love them & hate them at the same time.I will never become a Yankees fan & I will never abandon the Mets. I will just keep bleeding orange & blue & hope for a miracle!!

@NicksmomESQ Your post speaks to me !! Woman LOL There's just something about 'Ya Gotta Believe' that embraces me every Spring... Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yes,I'm A Mets Fan

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Jordan2  I'm sorry to see David's career ending this way.  He was a great player, and a great guy, but could have been much more.  The Mets still owe him for 2019 and 2020, $27 million total.   And they hurt themselves financially by activating David for this one game so he can play third base: the amount of insurance money they collect on his contract will be reduced.  I don't suppose it is much, but an article I read thought it was noteworthy.  

@ValuSkr  I agree with you 100%. David Wright was an excellent player & a classy guy to boot.The Mets actually owe him $47 million .IMO David was the best they had since Mike Piazza.

I also heard that he will play on 9/29 & Jose Reyes will be playing shortstop!! Oh what memories!!

Props to management for taking the insurance hit to give David the send off he so richly deserves!!

My son has a friend who works in the ticket office & he’s getting us tickets for the game!!

GO DAVID.GO METS!!

@NicksmomESQ @Jordan2 @ValuSkr I was at the game, I hope you stayed to the very end. David's speech to the crowd was incredible; and then those fireworks!! There's nothing like a NY fireworks show.

citifield sept 29 .PNGcitifield sept 29b.PNG

Yeah- we won in the 13th !! Woman Happy I was also at the game Friday night, Jose and David were both there too. But the game was a mess Woman Sad...

Honored Contributor

Todd Frazier local interview.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=tRUua_9wzj8&fbclid=IwAR2yHz0y8hCv3L_wEK503XqR6IRTiQ...

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.