Honored Contributor

@AuntG  This particular broadcaster might have been terrible but my comments were addressing most of the OP's post which was her view  that women have no place as sports broadcasters which is the whole post and not just addressing that particular woman. 

Honored Contributor

I also don't give a ×€=% €¥_ what men are comfortable with. If female advancement was dependent on that, well I know what it would be like. Our lives should never depend on the comfort of others. I'm quite sure there are male announcers that other males in that job aren't comfortable with. But they tolerate it.

Last World Series my team was in, I muted the sound and listened to my local radio announcers. Even with the annoying delay, I couldn't tolerate McCarver and Buck. I'd rather listen to Jessica than them any day of the week. Luckily McCarver retired. Can't stand Joe Buck doing football either.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Women in sportscasting

[ Edited ]

I have absolutely no qualm w/ tennis hosts, or w/ the woman who played softball and is now an announcer, or anyone like that!

Yes, thank you, Joe Buck, Mortimer Snerd!

Nah, I guess I take that back. He's okay for calling the plays (football or baseball) if one is listening rather than watching.

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Suzy Kolber of ESPN played football and loves the sport. In Philly we have Sarah Baicker formerly of Breakfast on Broad who knows pretty much everything about hockey and plays hockey in one or more recreational leagues. We've also got Dei Lyman, the daughter of former Sixers coach Jimmy Lynam who's an expert on basketball. Until recently we had Jillian Mele who attended pretty much every sporting event in the Philly market. And there are quite a few women covering sports in the Philly market. I don't have a problem with any of them. They're all very good at what they do.

I'm a fanatic NY. Giants fan, and loved Phil Simms when he played, however it is painful to listen to him do a game.

ITA, Phil Simms needs English and diction lessons whether he was a good player or not, he cannot speak correct English.  To me, that has more to do with an announcer being "good" or not.  You are now a broadcast journalist, not an athlete, speak like it!

Also, I do not like it when ex-athletes cover a game on a national broadcast and use the terms "we", "us" and "our".  If you are doing the local feed, that is fine, but on a national level, you are not part of that team, again, you are a broadcast journalist,  Yes, Troy Aikman, Darrell Johnson and Bill Walton (to name a few) I am talking to you!!!

I LOVE Susie Kolber!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

This is not to say all men are good at it!  Heck no.  Or that just because on is a good player means they will be great on air.

And I pretty much knew my comment about men not being comfortable with it would garner a response.  It's not that I care about how men FEEL about it.  It is obvious to the listener/viewer, and it makes for a more uncomfortable experience. 

Is there nowhere in life that men can have?  It is men's sports, so I find no assumption that women add anything to it.  It is pure affirmative action.

And true, on television sets, the woman are all made up to garner attention.  And they might as well have pom poms for their part of the shows.  It's as if they have to act like that, and it's annoying.  So, I don't listen or watch.

I know that some women can have the knowledge.  The women in my family gave the men great discussions.  My OPINION is that it adds nothing to the experience.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

No wonder women contine to struggle for equality with attitudes like that!!  Men have taken on the roll  in many areas that are soley women's issues and may be knowledgeable enough but often men are unsympathetic to the reality of women's issues and sound so unnatural as they haven't a clue what women experence and often are condescending which makes women uncomfortable.  Men interviewing women on the red carpet could also be called knowledgeable enough but just sound unnatural in the role and reasoning could be women just are not comfortable with it and women should be interviewing women!!  Men just are not comfortable with a woman mechanic, construction worker, CEO and I could go on and on.  It shouldn't matter the gender - just the knowledge and expertise someone has!!!

Ther are many men commentators and interviewers in sports that are just so so and worse.  My SO has noticed that many of the female commentators are way better than men.  He actually turns the sound off while watching college sports and listens to the excellent female commentator who he likes much better!!

Struggle for equality?  I believe men and women ARE different, and some of the struggle is moot.  I don't want to be in combat, broadcast MEN'S sports, etc.  I like being a woman.  But that's not my point here.  Not trying to get into that discussion.

Just leave men's sports to men.  If I were to watch women's basketball, tennis, etc., I think women do a great job, and it seems comfortable and natural.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

There are men who do commentary on women's sports. Golf, tennis, soccer, softball, figure skating, and others. Is that comfortable and natural? Women's sports, so can't women have something that's just theirs? To use your phrase. They can't know about women's sports because they're men? 

As for the word natural,  I think we should all do what we are good and what we are qualified to do. Sometimes things don't seem natural and comfortable only because they're new experiences. With time they become natural and comfortable, and I think it eventually benefits all. It's all tied in to a larger discussion, I don't think you can separate it. Afflict the comfortable is my opinion.

For example, in different times it wasn't considered natural or comfortable for men to be in female dominated fields such as nursing, teaching, child care, fashion. It wasn't even believed that men had a natural ability to be parents or homemakers (ridiculous). With time and experiences, hopefully those views have changed.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

What I really liked about this thread is that it was respectful.

I knew not all would agree with me, and I was interested in other opinions. 

Disagreement is possible without namecalling and accusations just short of being a serial killer!

Thanks to all!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

You are complaining about women in baseball, but what about football!? I know that I, myself, am a pretty good sideline quaterback, but I never played the game, and so I do not know all that it takes!

I imagine that is the same with hockey. There is a lady who does the hockey for our regional league. I am positive she never played the game, either!

They are just used for decoration, and in a way that I cannot fully explain, I take more affront to that than for them being in these sports newscasting positions.

And don't think they are not being "fed" exactly what to ask about -- injuries, etc.

My niece played hockey as a youngster,thru high school,and college. She could get out there with the best of them and I'm sure announcing would be absolutely no problem for her.

Trusted Contributor

I think is pretty much a generational age thing.  Women do certain things and men do certain things.  If lines are crossed then the natural order is disrupted.  Which is nonsense.  Body parts and hair length should not determine occupation, wages, or advancement opportunities.