Honored Contributor

Re: Women in sportscasting

[ Edited ]

There are some bad announcers of both genders, to be sure, but I agree with you @hyacinth003. The unfortunate reality is that 'equality' has, almost across the board, come to mean 'quotas' rather than that the best man or woman for the job or for placement in a school or whatever... is the one that gets it... Overall, I don't find women broadcasting sports, doing 'color' on the field or from the locker rooms, or whatever... to be appealing or particularly believable.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Re: Women in sportscasting

[ Edited ]

The OP was not just speaking about one female sportscaster but all of them.  

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I have more of an issue with former players who were "good" who now act as though they were infallible when they played. Tim McCarver in baseball and Phil Simms in football are two good examples. They were good players in their time, but if you listen to them harping on every mistake a current player makes, you'd think they were superstars who never made a mistake. I tend to mute both of them.

Suzy Kolber of ESPN played football and loves the sport. In Philly we have Sarah Baicker formerly of Breakfast on Broad who knows pretty much everything about hockey and plays hockey in one or more recreational leagues. We've also got Dei Lyman, the daughter of former Sixers coach Jimmy Lynam who's an expert on basketball. Until recently we had Jillian Mele who attended pretty much every sporting event in the Philly market. And there are quite a few women covering sports in the Philly market. I don't have a problem with any of them. They're all very good at what they do.

I agree with the area noted above @gardenman. And what's even more unfortunate are those who never really excelled on the field but who once they got in the broadcast booth, however some of them managed to do it, now seem to think they 'wrote the book'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

I have more of an issue with former players who were "good" who now act as though they were infallible when they played. Tim McCarver in baseball and Phil Simms in football are two good examples. They were good players in their time, but if you listen to them harping on every mistake a current player makes, you'd think they were superstars who never made a mistake. I tend to mute both of them.

Suzy Kolber of ESPN played football and loves the sport. In Philly we have Sarah Baicker formerly of Breakfast on Broad who knows pretty much everything about hockey and plays hockey in one or more recreational leagues. We've also got Dei Lyman, the daughter of former Sixers coach Jimmy Lynam who's an expert on basketball. Until recently we had Jillian Mele who attended pretty much every sporting event in the Philly market. And there are quite a few women covering sports in the Philly market. I don't have a problem with any of them. They're all very good at what they do.

I agree with the area noted above @gardenman. And what's even more unfortunate are those who never really excelled on the field but who once they got in the broadcast booth, however some of them managed to do it, now seem to think they 'wrote the book'...

And now Jay Cutler is joining the "experts" on football as part of Fox's number two broadcasting team. He'll be interesting to hear. He's one of those guys who was too good to cut, but not good enough to win with and it'll be interesting to see how he handles being in the broadcast booth. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

A woman can be anything that she wants to be.

Anything.

If she wants to be a welder, she can be a welder.

If she wants to operate a jackhammer, she can operate a jackhammer.

If she wants to be a firefighter, she can be a firefighter.

If she wants to be a soldier, she can be a soldier.

If she wants to be a police officer, she can be a police officer.

If she wants to a mechanic, she can be a mechanic.

If she wants to be a pilot, she can be a pilot.

If she wants to be a train engineer, she can be a train engineer.

If she wants to operate a chainsaw, she can operate a chainsaw.

If she wants to be a lumberjack, she can be a lumberjack.

If she wants to be a ferrier, she can be a ferrier.

If she wants to be a blacksmith, she can be a blacksmith.

If a woman wants to be a plumber, she can be a plumber.

If a woman can physically do the job, then there should be nothing that stands in her way of actually doing the job.

Not all women are created equal.

Just because you or I might not be able to physically do a job, does NOT mean that there isn't any women on this whole entire planet, that can't do the job.

Because I assure you, there are.

Some women are  physically stronger than other women.

Honored Contributor

Jay Cutler was a crappy quarterback, not just my amateur opinion but most NFL "experts" said so.  Maybe that certain recent revealing photo on Instagram helped him get a broadcasting job, or the fact that he's married to a former reality star. I just lol at the thinking that any former athlete can be a good broadcaster. You can even do a morning show like GMA. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Jay Cutler was a crappy quarterback, not just my amateur opinion but most NFL "experts" said so.  Maybe that certain recent revealing photo on Instagram helped him get a broadcasting job, or the fact that he's married to a former reality star. I just lol at the thinking that any former athlete can be a good broadcaster. You can even do a morning show like GMA. 

Yeah, Cutler was one of those guys with great arm talent, but not so good decision making. He could throw a very pretty football and make every throw you want a guy to make, but more often than not he'd end up making a bone-headed throw too. There's a good article on Cutler on BleacherReport.com from 2015 by Ted Sundquist titled "Why I drafted Jay Cutler, and what happened from there" that gives a lot of insight into him. Coming out of college he had all postiives but on two tests, one involving his self-confidence, and the other one his "focus and social maturity" his scores were troublesome. 

Then he landed in an awkward situation where Jake Plummer was the established alpha male in the Broncos locker room, but didn't have the arm talent of Cutler. The original plan had been for Cutler to sit behind Plummer and learn the game and develop a rapport with the team while fixing his flaws over a few years. That lasted until about the halfway point in the season when the then head coach Mike Shanahan made the change at QB. Cutler then went through a series of head, offensive and quarterback coaches and never got his flaws fixed. He went to Chicago where they were rotating coaches at a crazy pace. I believe he had five different offensive coordinators in his first seven seasons there. He never got "fixed" and now he's out of the game despite his talent level.

How much of that is Cutler's fault and how much of it was circumstance is hard to say, but unlike many quarterbacks he generally had a pretty solid supporting cast around him. Were those flaws in the original testing of self confidence and focus still contributing to his mistakes ten years into his career? It sure looked that way. 

You kind of wonder what would have happened to Cutler had he landed on a team with an Andy Reid, Mike McCarthy, or other QB guru who would keep him in a stable situation and work on his flaws. Instead he was kept in a constant spin cycle of new coordinators, coaches and systems. Could they have fixed his issues and made him into a great QB or were those initial flaws so deep rooted nothing could overcome them?

I'm not sure you can fix self-confidence and focus. If he's still having those issues then you have to wonder how he'll overcome them in the broadcast booth. Fox will have to have a good support system in place for him. Granted landing a Kristin Cavallari might help his self-confidence, unless she landed him. It'll be interesting to see how he works out. If you're in broadcasting though, self-confidence and focus are two things you probably need a lot of.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Doris Burke vs Cantankerous POP!

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/5/14/15638366/doris-burke-gregg-popovich-mothers-day-spurs-warriors

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Since I am in the Chicago area, I have been "treated" to Jay Cutler for these years.

I never thought he was that good.  He is a guy with glimpses of brilliance only.

He was a nasty human being to most around him, including fans.  He is basically an immature person.

The Bears should have stopped wasting their money a few years ago on him.

Hyacinth