Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

What!  Men's sports, that most of the male commentators have never themselves played professionally.  People of both genders can have insight into the game.

I am a baseball fanatic for my home team.  In my circle we talk ball all the time and I can keep up with the best of them.

There's a guy that announces the O's games that sounds like a funeral dirge on quaaludes.  I can't listen to the TV when my home team is playing on their turf.  My local radio is better.

@Sweetbay magnolia

Probably as "good" as the O's games announcer is MNF's play by play analyst Sean McDonough.......talk about a guy with no enthusiasm and one that can put you to sleep  ...........ZZZZZZ  There are some awful male sportscasters out there too

Thankfully my NBA Spurs have two good ones, Sean Elliott and Bill Land....and I do like DorisBurke.......even though she's nervous interviewing the cantankerous Spur's Coach Pop Woman LOL..Of course, Michele Beadle is from our area and is a Spurs fan--gotta like her....and I like Suzy Kolber...I do like many of the NFL Network ladies.

I thought the "old school" ESPN women did a good job and were real reporters---Gail Gardner, Andrea Kramer........

.I'm NOT a fan of Hannah Storm or Rachel Nichols.....Rachel needs to keep her personal political opinions to herself---she's supposed to be talking SPORTS....I turn to sports to get away from it all........I dont like baseball so cant comment on any of them.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I also don't give a ×€=% €¥_ what men are comfortable with. If female advancement was dependent on that, well I know what it would be like. Our lives should never depend on the comfort of others. I'm quite sure there are male announcers that other males in that job aren't comfortable with. But they tolerate it.

Last World Series my team was in, I muted the sound and listened to my local radio announcers. Even with the annoying delay, I couldn't tolerate McCarver and Buck. I'd rather listen to Jessica than them any day of the week. Luckily McCarver retired. Can't stand Joe Buck doing football either.

@Greeneyedlady21

I can't stand Joe Buck either......he's just so full of himself!!!  I DO like Al Michaels, Troy Aikman sounds bored.............  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Women in sportscasting

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003

One point I do agree with you on is the "flaunting female"   .....Why do we need women in short tight dresses singing the intro song to Sunday Night Football and the NFL Network used to do that to on their Thursday Night games.....And why do teams need these so called " cheerleaders dressed in the skimpiest of outfits...Woman Frustrated  I thought we had put this behind us NFL!!!  I applaud the teams that don't have these cheerleaders............

Honored Contributor

Some of these post make me angry and very sad. It is bad enough when male dominated business tries to marginalize woman and limit their opportunities, but when other women pile on with their outmoded prejudices it is tragic.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Yes there are so many choices in life for women. That's what most women want, choices. Stay at home Mom, single no kids by choice construction worker or executive, truck driver, sportscaster. 

Logically anyone could say that any fill in the blank does not need women. Often used as a way to keep women out of these fields. History would have been quite different if women who achieved it just accepted that and allowed their aspirations to be squashed.

I used to dream about  a career in sports. Perhaps women would have been a bigger obstacle for me than men, if I had ever persued that.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I clearly have not been watching ESPN very much.  I just saw Linda Cohn for the first time since her makeover.  WTH?

FTR, I have tried to express similar views as @hyacinth003 in real life and have been met with the same feedback. I feel the same way about reporters (men and women) in Nascar who have never been in the car and run a competitive race and offer their opinion on something.  As long as they are reporting facts and sticking to facts, I'm fine.  The minute they go off script and start telling me what they think is happening, I"m out.

< shrug >

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I clearly have not been watching ESPN very much.  I just saw Linda Cohn for the first time since her makeover.  WTH?

FTR, I have tried to express similar views as @hyacinth003 in real life and have been met with the same feedback. I feel the same way about reporters (men and women) in Nascar who have never been in the car and run a competitive race and offer their opinion on something.  As long as they are reporting facts and sticking to facts, I'm fine.  The minute they go off script and start telling me what they think is happening, I"m out.

< shrug >

@VaBelle35

I participate in a football forum (non QVC) and what I found refreshing was there were a couple of "neanderthal" men that didnt like women NFL fans on the forum (he had the view stay in the kitchen or bedroom)...what I thought was great was how ALL the men said the women were just as knowledge as any of the guys there and told that guy to get off the Forum!!!  Even the guys think we can talk football on the same level as them........as @Greeneyedlady21 said, we women (or some of us) are our own worst enemy...........I was brought up that women can do whatever they want---even when it wasnt very common or very popular my grandmother ran an Electrical Company and she told the guys what to do, set schedules, handled financial aspect all on her own.  And my great aunt ran her own restaurant.....and another aunt climbed her way up in the retail world to buyer for department store and on to a chain of boutiques.........

And yes I agree both men and women in sports sometimes get away from facts and start spouting opinions that are inaccurate and sometimes just plain silly......even making up rumours that are totally unfounded....(and hey Im talking to you Chris Cooley)...Woman Frustrated......

Respected Contributor

I still feel men and women don't have to do EVERYTHING the other might do.  Sports broadcasting has no inherent reason that woman should not do it.  Some men that have never played professional sports do it.

It is just not MY preference, and seems very artificial and forced.  Watched a hockey game with one woman on the "panel."  She outshouted the men and it looked so uncomfortable and not pleasant to watch.  The men aren't sure how to flow with it.

I have a relative that is a Chicago police officer.  She is a tiny woman.  I bet NO MAN wanted to be partnered with her.  She is very intelligent, and I am sure she is well trained in the use of her gun.  But IN NO WAY is she the physical equal of a man on the job.  This is where I separate from women who think women she be in EVERY job. 

Biology says the genders are different.  I have no problem with it.  I have never felt I should do anything men do.  I don't want to!  Glad I didn't have to sign up for military service. 

I know more about sports than most of the men I know.  But I am content to let the men do the broadcasting.  Speaking of which, terrible Bears QB Jay Cutler has gotten a broadcasting job.  He was a huge waste of money for the Bears, and not a very nice person for fans or media.  Have to wait and see how he does broadcasting.  Guess his wife wants her husband to keep working for her and their 3 kids!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I still feel men and women don't have to do EVERYTHING the other might do.  Sports broadcasting has no inherent reason that woman should not do it.  Some men that have never played professional sports do it.

It is just not MY preference, and seems very artificial and forced.  Watched a hockey game with one woman on the "panel."  She outshouted the men and it looked so uncomfortable and not pleasant to watch.  The men aren't sure how to flow with it.

I have a relative that is a Chicago police officer.  She is a tiny woman.  I bet NO MAN wanted to be partnered with her.  She is very intelligent, and I am sure she is well trained in the use of her gun.  But IN NO WAY is she the physical equal of a man on the job.  This is where I separate from women who think women she be in EVERY job. 

Biology says the genders are different.  I have no problem with it.  I have never felt I should do anything men do.  I don't want to!  Glad I didn't have to sign up for military service. 

I know more about sports than most of the men I know.  But I am content to let the men do the broadcasting.  Speaking of which, terrible Bears QB Jay Cutler has gotten a broadcasting job.  He was a huge waste of money for the Bears, and not a very nice person for fans or media.  Have to wait and see how he does broadcasting.  Guess his wife wants her husband to keep working for her and their 3 kids!

Hyacinth

And I bet that female cop relative could just as easily kick your a**,  and take you to the ground, as well as any male cop.

If a woman can meet the same physical requirements that a man has to for the job, whether it is as a police officer, fire fighter, or soldier, then she is qualified for the job.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

men are better equipped for physical jobs that require a whole lot of muscle---women are just built differently and men have an advantage in that area--that's pure biology.  But jobs requiring intelligence are another story --and women can definitely compete at the same level and even bring a bit of a different perspective.  Now I will say, the women sportscasters need to be themselves and there are a few that try too hard,like the one you mentioned that was shouting--maybe she felt she had to shout to be heard, or maybe her male counterparts made her feel that way-- Then there are some women in sports media who do seem a bit arrogant and are unwatchable (but so are many of the men).............

Now I'm just guessing, but I bet MANY MANY women probably could do a better job than what we will see from former Bear's QB, Jay Cutler!!!  ....my prediction is a short career in broadcasting.................