Honored Contributor

Who Are Your Favorites On Other Teams

Who are your favorite athletes on teams you aren't rooting for/home city teams? 

I'm not a big hockey fan so I'll skip that

If you can don't include players who were previously on your teams..that's just too easySmiley Very Happy

basketball-Kevin Durant, Steph Curry. LeBron-I don't always like his attitude or some of the things he says or does. But I respect him big time as a basketball player. I just can't pick him as a favorite due to being a Celtics fan, that might actually violate some law...would have to look that up.

baseball-that's tough. I always enjoy watching Verlander pitch. I also like Andrew McCutchen from the Pirates. Mike Trout, that's a given.

football-Drew Brees. I read his book and was so impressed by him. I even bought a Drew Brees Saints t shirt, which gets some strange glances when I wear it in the Northeast. I like JJ Watt too, great player. Hope he is recovering well. And Aaron Rodgers.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

Re: Who Are Your Favorites On Other Teams

Hmmmm, this would require some deep thinking on my part green eye.  Players outside of teams I root for - I don't know enough about them to have favorites.  If I come up with an answer.....I'll be back.  Smiley Happy

New Contributor

Baseball - Andrew Benintendi.   His grandfather delivered my oldest son.  

Honored Contributor

@Signgirl That is so cool, thanks for sharing. I'm a Red Sox fan and I love the way he plays. He's so good looking too, not relevant to baseball but he is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 Great Topic!!! (please note I'm not from the DC area, have never lived in the DC area)---becoming a fan of the Redskins was never about "because they are the team in my city/state:" more about the coach and players on the team under Joe Gibbs.  Even the Spurs I liked them more due to their personalities and charity work, and the way the conduct themselves rather than well, their the sports team in the city where I live. 

The Houston Texan's JJ Watt is a favorite Non-Redskin NFL player!!!  Great personality, a great player on the field, great work ethic, and he does a lot of charity work especially with kids in the hospital. 

I also like the NFL Cardinal's Larry Fitzgerald!!  Good character, he does a LOT of charity stuff not only in the U.S. but even worldwide! Touching story he fufilled a promise he made to his mom (who died of cancer) by getting his degree last year.  He mentors young players regarding life off the court. 

Another favorite is the NFL Colt's Andrew Luck--smart, good guy, he's an avid reader, and I like the way he compliments his opponents instead of usual trash talk. Here's an example against my Redskins After a hit by Redskin linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, that caused a fumble and sent Luck scrambling for the ball, he was not able to congratulate Kerrigan right away and had to wait until later in the game "to tell Kerrigan how great he was doing". Kerrigan's reaction was later captured, "You want to say thank you but then you say 'wait a second--I’m not supposed to like you!'"---LOL!!!! 

And I've enjoyed watching the NFL's Raider's QB Derek Carr play---I like his spirit and spunk!!!  

Now you might think I'd choose Kevin Durant from the NBA because he happens to a Redskin fan---but nothing can be further from the truth, because he plays for the rival team of my beloved NBA Spurs!!!  And he joined the Warriors to create a super team instead of trying to build a team in a small market city and bringing the title to OKC...........

In the NBA the only non-Spurs that are FAVORITES are all former Spurs---LOL!!! Woman LOL Although Isiah Thomas and his tribute to his sister who died in a car accident, and played despite getting a tooth knocked out -- is leaning towards becoming a favorite NBA non-Spur.  

I used to love Tyrone "Mugsy" Bogues---he played for the NBA Hornets---he was AMAZING!!! Only 5'2" like me and he played in the NBA, even Spur's David Robinson would shake his head and smile, amazed at Mugsy's performance on the court! 

Dale Earnhardt Jr---NASCAR---he's a long time Redskin fan. (and he doesnt even drive for Joe Gibbs racing Woman LOL)  They just showed a spot on ESPN he read a letter he wrote to his Mom for Mother's Day and they showed a family video of him getting a Redskin helmet for Christmas!....gotta love that! Woman Very HappyHeart 

Baseball---I don't like baseball at all!!!---too boring for me!!!  But I do like minor league player, Tim Tebow---when everyone says he can't do something, he goes out and gives it his best, plus he's such a positive role model and not ashamed of his faith not easy in this PC world........

Hockey---the only time I watch that sport is in the Olympics......

And although he's not an athlete I gotta say, I have to give a special mention and create a special category for NBA Memphis Grizzlies's Coach, David Fizdale  --- he's a hoot, especially his press conferences, very interesting to hear his stories too.  Such a contrast to my Spur's cantankerous Coach Pop!---LOL! If my Spurs don't win a Championship, I'd like to see the Gizzlies do it! 

Can't wait to see what others say.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Great question, @Greeneyedlady21 !!  And thanks for the Verlander love!!  

That being said, I like Clayton Kershaw, he and Matt Stafford grew up together and are still good friends.

I love Ryan Getzlaf (even though I do not like the Ducks), he is one tough hockey player.

Also like Larry Fitzgerald, a great player on a very mediocre team.  He never complains or gets in trouble at all

Basketball, I do not follow NBA as they have favorites around the league and have for years and I do not like it.  Too many Prima Donas

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

Some of my favorites other than the Colts are:

Larry Fitzgerald.

JJ Watt

Drew Brees.

All are good athletes and do community charity work. They represent the positive side of sports.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Larry Fitzgerald is a great choice, I like and respect him too.