Regular Contributor

I've been hearing this term a lot lately; what is a "red shirt freshman"?

Trusted Contributor

I googled it:  

The term redshirt freshman indicates an academic sophomore who is in his or her first season of athletic participation. A redshirt freshman is distinguished from a true freshman: a student who is in their first year both academically and athletically.
Honored Contributor

@Huge Hannah wrote:

@Huge Hannah

College BB is my game !

A ‘red shirt freshman’ is one who does not play on the team his first year of school.  S/he may practice with the team, but doesn’t play in official games.

This might be a promising player who just isn’t quite up to par yet, or the team might not need them that year, but know s/he will be great for the next year, or the player may be hurt in practice early in the season, and sit out the rest of the year to heal, or the player’s academics may need work.  

So the term ‘red shirted’ comes in just symbolically as they they don’t play officially with the team, although they may be very much a part of the team in terms of practice if they are able.

Because of sitting out the first year of play, the player still has 4 years of allowable playing eligibility starting their sophomore year.  So, they are scholastically a sophomore, but in terms of playing they are in their 1st year, so they are a ‘red shirt freshman’ in terms of play.

My team has a player returning this year who was red shirted his freshman year.  He will be a big asset to the team.

No doubt more then you wanted to know!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

drythe--I appeciate that you took the time and effort to post the explanation. And it wasn't too long or anything; you really helped me understand. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

red shirt,

if you spent any time watching Star Trek original series you know who wore the red shirts and what happened to them,

it must come from that 

Honored Contributor

@Huge Hannah wrote:

type in redshirt freshman in your browser, it will tell you quicker than coming here and asking