Honored Contributor

Re: Week Two of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Well bad news for Guice:  

Guice will be out at least for a while, after surgery to address a torn meniscus. There’s a chance he’ll be out for the rest of the year.  The question is whether Dr. James Andrews trimmed the meniscus or repaired it. A full-blown repair requires much more recovery time, but it becomes better for the player’s long-term health and performance. Repairing the meniscus keeps it in place; trimming it removes some of the natural cushioning in the knee, moving the player toward an eventual bone-on-bone situation.

And now the rumors start...Trent Williams for Melvin Gordon....

Well good news for the Jets...MRI shows no major shoulder damage for Bell...he should be on track to play against the Browns....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

They abandoned the stem cell approach pretty quickly. If Guice had the microfracture surgery he'll likely be out for the year. That's where they drill holes in the bone to create scar tissue to replace the lost cartilage. The good news is it's pretty effective. The bad news is it has a very limited lifespan of three to seven years before it needs to be redone. He's not likely to see a second contract with the Redskins.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

They abandoned the stem cell approach pretty quickly. If Guice had the microfracture surgery he'll likely be out for the year. That's where they drill holes in the bone to create scar tissue to replace the lost cartilage. The good news is it's pretty effective. The bad news is it has a very limited lifespan of three to seven years before it needs to be redone. He's not likely to see a second contract with the Redskins.

@gardenman 

Thats what I think too...and thats sad because he's a good kid that came from rough beginnings.....looking to be successful and making a difference for others too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

My mistake, I was thinking McLaurin was an RB. He had a good debut and should be highly productive for Washington. 

That's sad to hear about Guice. He had so much promise. Maybe he'll eventually get to play, even if it's with another team. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I'm sooo angry! 

Uverse doesn't carry NFL Network anymore &

I can't find a way to watch Thursday Night Football

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

@gardenman 

Thats what I think too...and thats sad because he's a good kid that came from rough beginnings.....looking to be successful and making a difference for others too....

Yeah, this latest injury was to the knee he'd hurt in college and not the one he hurt in the pros. With repeated infections and surgeries to clear the infections in the other knee, he's got two iffy (at best) knees and most teams aren't going to invest a lot of money in a guy with that history. Getting a solid new young RB is likely high on the Redskins' draft/free agency wish list for next year. They can ride AP and Smallwood this year, but neither is a long-term solution for them. Gruden's offense is built around the running game and you need a solid back for his offense to be effective.

Speaking of injuries, Cam Newton still doesn't look right. He completed his longest pass in the last year last night, but it only flew 36+ yards through the air. For a guy who could throw the ball sixty-plus yards in the air, that's a big drop-off. Now with the bad foot, he's not able to run effectively. Until he shows he can throw the ball deep, defenses will keep creeping closer and closer to the line of scrimmage. It makes the job of the defense much easier. He can't run, can't throw the ball deep, isn't terribly accurate on the short passes, he's making it a lot easier to defend him. The Panthers have to figure out if this is their future and this is as good as Cam gets, or if he'll get back to where he was. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Minkah Fitzpatrick wants out of Miami , and the team has agreed to let him be traded. I've read that they would want a first round draft pick for Fitzpatrick. Whichever team signs him, will be getting a major upgrade in defense. He's best playing slot corner, and I'm sure there will be teams willing to negotiate. 

The Panthers might have to look elsewhere at quarterback if Newton doesn't improve. He is regressing, and it might be a long season for Carolina. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's DALLAS WEEK, and Josh Norman opened his mouth and gave the Cowboys some "bulletin board" remarks to fire them up.....

Cowboys QB Dak Prescott completed 25 of 32 passes for 405 yards and four touchdowns in Week One, but Redskins CB Josh Norman was not impressed.  He had this to say about Dak's performance: 

“You stand back there in the pocket all day and go through your first, second and third reads and come back to your first one, OK, cool. Anybody can do that,” Norman told the Associated Press. “At the end of the day, he’s been playing well. As you can see, he’s evolved. He’s growing in the system. He’s just taking his keys and picking his targets and throwing the ball on time.”

While what Josh said may be true, it's Dallas's O line that helps Dak, but  you dont say things to fire him up......

But Josh did compliment Amari Cooper (hopefully to drive his price up on contract negotiations...LOL) Norman called WR  Amari Cooper "one of the best route runners in the league." He sets up defenders using quick feet. 

And some ray of hope for Guice:

Redskins coach Jay Gruden said he's confident in what running back Derrius Guice still can do for the team in the future. He called the procedure a "minor one."  RB Derrius Guice will miss six to eight weeks, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The Redskins will need to get pressure on Dak. I don't even remember seeing Montez Sweat in the game last week. Part of that is he was going against Jason Peters, but he made no impact in the game. Ryan Kerrigan was his normal disruptive self, but Lane Johnson largely held him at bay. He got close to Wentz a couple of times, but that's about all. The defensive backs and defensive line have to work together very well to truly affect a gameplan. The backs have to cover long enough for the linemen to get to the QB, and the defensive linemen have to get to the QB before the coverage down the field breaks down. If one or the other has a lapse, it creates an opening for a big play.

The two fifty-plus yard passes from Wentz to DeSean Jackson came about because Wentz had time in the pocket. Dak's success against the Giants last week was largely due to no pass rush by the Giants. He had all day to sit back there and find a receiver. Get some pressure on Dak and the Cowboys can be beaten.

You're apt to see Josh Norman man-to-man with Amari Cooper in this game. He was pretty much manned up on Alshon Jeffery in the Eagles game, except for when the Eagles played with a bunch formation and got him matched up with DeSean Jackson. If Josh can contain Cooper, and someone besides Kerrigan can get pressure on Dak, the Redskins could pull out the win.

Next week the Cowboys have sort of a bye in playing the Dolphins, so if they're to lose a game, this is the week to do it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

The Redskins will need to get pressure on Dak. I don't even remember seeing Montez Sweat in the game last week. Part of that is he was going against Jason Peters, but he made no impact in the game. Ryan Kerrigan was his normal disruptive self, but Lane Johnson largely held him at bay. He got close to Wentz a couple of times, but that's about all. The defensive backs and defensive line have to work together very well to truly affect a gameplan. The backs have to cover long enough for the linemen to get to the QB, and the defensive linemen have to get to the QB before the coverage down the field breaks down. If one or the other has a lapse, it creates an opening for a big play.

The two fifty-plus yard passes from Wentz to DeSean Jackson came about because Wentz had time in the pocket. Dak's success against the Giants last week was largely due to no pass rush by the Giants. He had all day to sit back there and find a receiver. Get some pressure on Dak and the Cowboys can be beaten.

You're apt to see Josh Norman man-to-man with Amari Cooper in this game. He was pretty much manned up on Alshon Jeffery in the Eagles game, except for when the Eagles played with a bunch formation and got him matched up with DeSean Jackson. If Josh can contain Cooper, and someone besides Kerrigan can get pressure on Dak, the Redskins could pull out the win.

Next week the Cowboys have sort of a bye in playing the Dolphins, so if they're to lose a game, this is the week to do it.

@gardenman 

OMG Jordan Reed is still out with a concussion....SMH!!!

The Redskin offense MUST reduce their stupid penalties and Moses Im pointing my finger at YOU...and all those holding penalties....

The Redskins must do a better job maintaining their rush discipline vs Dak.  On a third-and-7 in the fourth quarter, rookie LB Montez Sweat rushed upfield, then tried to duck inside. Wentz slipped outside and completed a 16-yard pass. Earlier in that drive, the right side of the Redskins' front - Daron Payne and Cassanova McKinzy -- appeared to stunt the other way. But no one replaced them and Wentz slipped outside for a 16-yard gain on third-and-15. If the Redskins aren't more consistent, Prescott will hurt them with his legs and his arm.