Honored Contributor

Re: Week Two of the NFL Preseason!!!

The Eagles are adding still more offensive line depth by signing Brett Toth from Army to a three year deal. It's an interesting move. He's not ready to play in the NFL yet, but he's got good size and was a dominant run blocker at Army. He'll likely end up on the practice squad unless there's a roster exemption for military eligible guys. (There's one for foreign guys, but I'm not sure about military guys.)

The Eagles are crawling with offensive linemen right now. Jason Peters is the left tackle. Lane Johnson the right. Andre Dillard is the backup left tackle. Jordan Mailata is the backup right tackle. Both of those guys could start in the league for most teams. Vaitai, who was the backup swing tackle has been playing guard while Brooks recovers from his Achilles injury. Vaitai was the starter during the Super Bowl run. The depth and breadth of the offensive line in Philly is kind of impressive. Vaitai could be traded, but the Eagles would likely get a third round compensatory pick if he leaves after this year in free agency, so they'd want at least a third for him in a trade. I'm not sure many teams want to give up a pick that high for Vaitai, so he may hang around. Having too many really good offensive linemen is a good problem to have.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well it looks likes the NY Giant QB battle continues as Eli stepped up and showed his stuff and drove the team down for a TD....And I guess the  Daniel Jones for the "Hall" conversation was temporarily put on hold with those fumbles and a bit of struggle .... he did bounce back a bit, but it shows the ups and downs of a young QB......

SHOCKED....that the NFL reinstated Josh Gordon.....Some angry NFL fans will point to the preferential treatment the Patriots and their players always seem to get...And will Jerry Jones go to the Commish and now DEMAND that Randy Gregory also be reinstated....stay tuned......

Vikings Coach Mike Zimmer is trying to put some "warp speed" into Capt Kirk's game by urging him to tuck the ball and run when WRs are covered and instead of folding under pressure and being taken down by the defense .....It will be interesting when Capt Kirk faces the Bears Khalil Mack in the regular season going in for the sack!!!

The Redskins will be inducting London Fletcher and Chris Samuels into the Redskins Ring Of Fame.....nice to see those 2 honored....good players and good people.....HTTR!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Interesting. The Eagles have lured Josh McCown out of retirement for $2 million guaranteed and possibly as much as $5.4 million in total to be the next in a now long line of backup QB's. Cody Kessler may have just been concussed off the roster last week. Nate Sudfeld's broken wrist will keep him out three or four weeks of the regular season, so signing McCown gives the Eagles a somewhat proven commodity. We'll have to see if any of our quarterbacks survives week three of the preseason, but right now it looks like Wentz, McCown and Thorson may be the active roster guys. Sudfeld may be on IR or PUP then activated later. Cody Kessler may be back on the street.

Reports indicate the Eagles had reached out to McCown much earlier, back in the early days of free agency, but he opted to go into broadcasting instead. Now he's coming to Philly to see what kind of an injury he can suffer in week three. We've had a broken wrist, a concussion, we're probably due for a leg injury on either McCown or Thorson. Maybe a chest or ribcage? The head and arms are done, that leaves body and legs. God willing we'll keep Wentz bubble-wrapped on the sidelines until this injury bug passes. It's been a generally good year injury-wise if you ignore all of the injuries to backup QB's. For whatever reason they're dropping like flies. Hopefully we're getting it out of the system early. 

I don't remember McCown being on a Super Bowl contender, so that may have been part of the allure for him to come back out of retirement. Assuming we can keep a QB alive for a full game (which may be assuming a lot given how things are going) this team should be a contender. It could be a good opportunity for him. Assuming he survives the curse of the backup QB. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

To make room for Josh McCown the Eagles released Braxton Miller. I'd kind of assumed they'd cut Cody Kessler with an injury settlement, but given the number of backup QB's they're going through and Braxton Miller really not showing much this preseason, it looks like they opted to go heavy at backup QB instead. Cody Kessler should emerge from the concussion protocol in time for Thursday's game, so will he get the start or McCown, or maybe Thorson? We'll have to see. I suspect they'll keep Wentz bubble-wrapped on the sideline given the way things have gone so far. 

How many backup QB's will the Eagles keep on the full roster? McCown seems likely to make the roster given his contract. Nate Sudfeld is pretty much assured a spot, but he won't be ready to play for two or three weeks of the regular season with his broken wrist. Thorson looked good enough this past week and had a lot of fans coming out of college who thought he could be a third round pick that he might not clear waivers if you tried to sneak him onto the practice squad. Cody Kessler seems the odd man out, but the coaches reportedly like him. Do the Eagles put Sudfeld on the PUP or IR list with plans to activate him later? Do they keep Wentz, McCown, Sudfeld, and Thorson all on the roster? Does Cody Kessler somehow stay in the hunt? That QB room is getting pretty crowded these days. Maybe a trade goes down? I guess it's better to have too many QB's than not enough.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!  Jerry seems to be taking a hard stand when it comes to Zeke....

After Cowboys RB Tony Pollard had a solid outing in Saturday night’s preseason game, Jerry Jones suggested that Pollard might have made Zeke's attempt to get a new contract a little bit harder.

Asked about Elliott after the game, Jones said, “Zeke who?”

Jones then laughed and looked into a TV camera, saying directly to Elliott, "we're having some fun, not at your expense.”

Jones added that Pollard still has a lot of work to do, specifically in pass protection, where he missed a blitz pickup that got quarterback Dak hit.

Still, Pollard, a fourth-round pick out of Memphis who also returns

kickoffs, has impressed the Cowboys so far in camp. And he might just be the Week One starter, if the Cowboys and Elliott don’t come to terms on a new contract.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The Cowboys have been somewhat anti-Zeke all offseason. It started very early when they talked about picking up his fifth year option then forcing him to play on the tag rather than give him a long term deal. It's been a weird thing to watch play out. He's the engine of their offense and they've been saying and doing stuff to alienate him most of the off-season. Are they maybe hoping to swing a Herschel Walker type trade for him? Get a handful of draft picks for him and let him go? Who would trade for him? Not a lot they're doing with Elliott makes sense right now. Offering him a top five contract when he's a top one or two back is a joke. There's something weird going on there. If the Cowboys were looking to trade him, would it have to be an AFC team? Raiders? Gruden would drool at getting an Elliott. The Vikings really love to run the ball. Would they make another Herschel Walker type trade with the Cowboys?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

The Cowboys have been somewhat anti-Zeke all offseason. It started very early when they talked about picking up his fifth year option then forcing him to play on the tag rather than give him a long term deal. It's been a weird thing to watch play out. He's the engine of their offense and they've been saying and doing stuff to alienate him most of the off-season. Are they maybe hoping to swing a Herschel Walker type trade for him? Get a handful of draft picks for him and let him go? Who would trade for him? Not a lot they're doing with Elliott makes sense right now. Offering him a top five contract when he's a top one or two back is a joke. There's something weird going on there. If the Cowboys were looking to trade him, would it have to be an AFC team? Raiders? Gruden would drool at getting an Elliott. The Vikings really love to run the ball. Would they make another Herschel Walker type trade with the Cowboys?

@gardenman 

Yep, maybe the Cowboys will do a "back to the future" type trade in the same vein as the Herschel Walker deal...who knows...But it does seem odd that they are more willing to get a deal done with Dak, who is just a VERY average QB rather than a player that they've built their offense around and has delivered on the field......interesting......

It would be fun to see Zeke go to the Raiders....and with the move to Las Vegas....the Raiders could only hope with Zeke's track record that what ever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas..... Smiley Wink 

Esteemed Contributor

Jacoby Brissett looked good in the game yesterday. He proved that he can handle the situation if Luck remains sidelined. The other QBs, Walker and Kelly, also did a nice job.  

WR Deon Cain played a larger role this week. The Colts touchdowns were scored by Ebron and TE Ross Travis. I liked seeing Travis back in action after missing some games. 

Baker Mayfield didn't play; the Browns started Garrett Gilbert. I wasn't familiar with him, but he had a strong performance. 

The bad part is that the Colts had 15 penalties for 160 yards, some of them happening in the red zone. That isn't acceptable if Indy wants to win games. Cleveland also had a number of penalties, but not as many. They need to work on cutting down on penalties, otherwise the team played better than last week. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

What would a team give up for Elliott knowing his history and desire for a huge contract? Would a team even offer a first round pick? Maybe a player swap of a Clowney for Elliott? The Colts, Texans, Browns, Titans, Niners, Chiefs, Seahawks have the cap space necessary to sign Elliott. What could they offer the Cowboys in return? Clowney's the obvious answer. I think the Texans need an offensive tackle more though. Trent Williams to the Texans somehow and Clowney to the Cowboys and Elliott to the Redskins? All three teams would patch a hole. The cap space for the Redskins would be a problem. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm getting less confident the Cowboys and Elliott can patch things up though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

What would a team give up for Elliott knowing his history and desire for a huge contract? Would a team even offer a first round pick? Maybe a player swap of a Clowney for Elliott? The Colts, Texans, Browns, Titans, Niners, Chiefs, Seahawks have the cap space necessary to sign Elliott. What could they offer the Cowboys in return? Clowney's the obvious answer. I think the Texans need an offensive tackle more though. Trent Williams to the Texans somehow and Clowney to the Cowboys and Elliott to the Redskins? All three teams would patch a hole. The cap space for the Redskins would be a problem. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm getting less confident the Cowboys and Elliott can patch things up though.

@gardenman 

Please Please do NOT wish Zeke on my Redskins!!!!!! Im happy with an aging AP, Guice, and Chris Thompson.....

Yep, doesnt look like the Cowboys are headed towards a happy reconciliation with Zeke......Heart

@teganslaw 

Im glad Jacoby Brissett had a good showing....