Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Two of the NFL Playoffs!!!

I would like Kansas City to go to the Superbowl. That should be a good game, as Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell are fun to watch (apologies to Sunshine45), but I hope that KC pulls out the win.

It will be strange seeing LA with two teams. The next one to go might be Oakland. Have to see what happens.

SPURT, is Greg Toler still with Washington? He didn't do much when he was with the Colts; had he improved with the Redskins? Sometimes being on a different team can help a player.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Spurt I don't see Colt McCoy going to the Rams. They've got Jared Goff and Case Keenum out there now and they don't need any competition for those two. They just need to focus on getting Goff ready and that's going to be a challenge for a new staff. 

I'm not insanely focused on the age of a coach, but thirty is kind of young and inexperienced. It's impressive that he made it to OC by age thirty, but you kind of wonder how big a role he played as OC with Gruden as the head coach. The Rams have a young roster, but when the head coach/authority figure is just a year or two older than the guys he's disciplining, there's potential for trouble.

McVay's path was a bit odd. Assistant wide receiver coach of the Bucs for one year in 2008. Then wide receiver coach of the Florida Tuskers in the UFL for a year. Then assistant tight ends coach for the Redskins for a year before becoming full time tight ends coach for three more years. Then offensive coordinator and now head coach. He skipped over quite a few of the steps a "normal" coach would take.

The whole hiring process across the league seems a bit off this year. No old coach (with the exception of Doug Marrone) was recycled. In a typical year the veteran coaches would be the guys getting hired. There are a lot of big name former NFL head coaches out there in Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, Jim Schwartz, Gus Bradley, Chip Kelly, Jeff Fisher, Rex Ryan, Tom Coughlin, Mike McCoy, and then lots of older guys who were fired in the last few years. Then you have the big name college coaches in Nick Sabo, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer, David Shaw and more. You didn't hear any of those guys (other than Tom Coughlin with the Jags) even getting interviewed. With an Andy Reid going deep in the playoffs just a few years after being recycled, you'd think the recycled coaches would be pretty popular, but not this year.

I'm not sure what happened this year, but the whole coach hiring process seems a bit off. Somehow being young and inexperienced is being viewed as an asset this year. We'll have to see if that's a long term or short term trend, but it's something new, that's for sure.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt I don't see Colt McCoy going to the Rams. They've got Jared Goff and Case Keenum out there now and they don't need any competition for those two. They just need to focus on getting Goff ready and that's going to be a challenge for a new staff. 

I'm not insanely focused on the age of a coach, but thirty is kind of young and inexperienced. It's impressive that he made it to OC by age thirty, but you kind of wonder how big a role he played as OC with Gruden as the head coach. The Rams have a young roster, but when the head coach/authority figure is just a year or two older than the guys he's disciplining, there's potential for trouble.

McVay's path was a bit odd. Assistant wide receiver coach of the Bucs for one year in 2008. Then wide receiver coach of the Florida Tuskers in the UFL for a year. Then assistant tight ends coach for the Redskins for a year before becoming full time tight ends coach for three more years. Then offensive coordinator and now head coach. He skipped over quite a few of the steps a "normal" coach would take.

The whole hiring process across the league seems a bit off this year. No old coach (with the exception of Doug Marrone) was recycled. In a typical year the veteran coaches would be the guys getting hired. There are a lot of big name former NFL head coaches out there in Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, Jim Schwartz, Gus Bradley, Chip Kelly, Jeff Fisher, Rex Ryan, Tom Coughlin, Mike McCoy, and then lots of older guys who were fired in the last few years. Then you have the big name college coaches in Nick Sabo, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer, David Shaw and more. You didn't hear any of those guys (other than Tom Coughlin with the Jags) even getting interviewed. With an Andy Reid going deep in the playoffs just a few years after being recycled, you'd think the recycled coaches would be pretty popular, but not this year.

I'm not sure what happened this year, but the whole coach hiring process seems a bit off. Somehow being young and inexperienced is being viewed as an asset this year. We'll have to see if that's a long term or short term trend, but it's something new, that's for sure.

@gardenman

Perhaps it's McVay's connection with Jon Gruden where Sean became a bit of a protege helped land him the job....you cant sign Jon, but you sign who he recommends etc etc....grandfather is former 49ers Exectuvie John McVay which perhaps also helped his career...Shanahan brought Sean in as the Redskins TE coach and Jay Gruden promoted him....

I am surprised what I thought were considered the top candidates didnt get jobs---Kyle S and Josh McDaniels....shocked especially no one has picked McDaniels especially the Rams/49ers if ever there were organizations which needed to groom a QB and their offense.....and perhaps channel the Patriots and bring some of that Pat philosophy into  these organizations into successful teams it would seem that he was "the man".....I even read he was picky looking for just the right head coaching job and prefers to start a team from scratch....(those 2 are ideal).....and Jags need help offensively......its a puzzlement...

As for college coaches maybe they were contacted and the answer was a resounding NO from Jim Harbraugh and Nick Saban and others.....preferring to remain in college and recruit their players and be in charge instead of answering to owners and GMs....

I think Cowher and Jon Gruden are content with their TV jobs....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I would like Kansas City to go to the Superbowl. That should be a good game, as Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell are fun to watch (apologies to Sunshine45), but I hope that KC pulls out the win.

It will be strange seeing LA with two teams. The next one to go might be Oakland. Have to see what happens.

SPURT, is Greg Toler still with Washington? He didn't do much when he was with the Colts; had he improved with the Redskins? Sometimes being on a different team can help a player.

LOL.... @teganslaw.....no apologies necessary......i am rooting for KC to win also!

i think las vegas would be a great site for the raiders. have they already started building a stadium? does california really NEED four football teams?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

LOL.... @teganslaw.....no apologies necessary......i am rooting for KC to win also!

i think las vegas would be a great site for the raiders. have they already started building a stadium? does california really NEED four football teams?

People forget how big California is. If you look at the East coast we have two teams in NJ (Jets, Giants) the Eagles in Philly and the Ravens and Redskins pretty near by. In about two hours of driving time I can be at any of those games. If you compare the distance between those sites to California you'll find that it's roughly a third of the length of California. It would take about fifteen NFL teams in California to match the density of teams near me.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@teganslaw

Geg Toler is still with th Redskins...

For the 2016 season he had 3 assisted tackles, 18 combined tackles,  1 fumble recovery, 2 passes defended ..... Toler is a free agent this year 

His regular role is as a backup to LCB Breeland. He did play in all 16 games. In the game against the Panthers he filled in for RCB Dunbar who went out with a concussion, coincidentally Toler also left the game with a concussion.....I don't think he got that much playing time overall...

With the Colts in 2015 Toler had 51 combined tackles, 7 assisted tackles, 1 forced fumble, 10 passes defended.....

Breeland has been downright awful at times and perhaps they should've utilized Toler more...

I think the only reason the NFL moved those teams to LA was due to the revenue from the 2nd largest TV market.....but there was not much fan support for either the Rams or Raiders when they were in LA so that is why they moved to other places in the first place....does the NFL think the 2nd times the charm......I DON'T!!!   I think the Raiders want for either Oakland to build a new stadium or they will move to Vegas....Our former Mayor even courted the Raiders and made many promises to try to get them to move to San Antonio (he is not even our current mayor, a mayor from a long time ago whose dream was to have an NFL team).....  we already have the indoor stadium, The Alamo Dome, where they could play in inerim and he promised the city and citizens would build them a new one....but the Raiders just used San Antonio as a leverage to entice Vegas....

I think it would be fun to see a different team rather than the usual suspects play in a Super Bowl....pulling for Chiefs too

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman@sunshine45

You are CORRECT SUNSHINE why does California need so many teams where is such a lack of interest.....

@gardenman

Hmmmph Hmmmph did you forget how big the state of TEXAS is...filled with rapid die-hard football fans.........yet the NFL told my fair city to go take a hike (rumor has it that Jerrah didn't want to split the State 3 ways)....we even built a nice indoor air conditioned stadium ahead of time and it was ready for the expansion team to move in---build it and they will come was our Mayor at the time's philosophy....Now Jacksonville has what should've been our team....an outdoor stadium making fans watch in intense heat, and in many cases they have to use tarps to cover up the empty seat and have problems with blackouts.....our loss was the NFL's loss ....JMHO.....

When we housed the Saints during New Orleans hurricane Katrina they played a game here which sold out our stadium in minutes.....what shouldve couldve been....

Honored Contributor

Well, the Steelers/KC game on Sunday has now been moved to 8:20 PM from 1:00 PM. There's an ice storm bearing down on KC that may drop as much as an inch of ice on the area Sunday morning, ending around 1:00 PM. I'm not sure how warm it's supposed to get after that storm, but an inch of ice is a lot of ice to deal with and seven hours probably isn't long enough. Unless it gets up into the fifties after the storm there's likely to be a lot of ice still hanging around by 8:20 PM. 

Ice storms tend to tear down power lines too, so there may not even be power at the stadium for the game. I wouldn't be shocked to see that game get moved back to Monday night if things get messy there.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Steeler update. Joey Porter reinstated. More serious charges dropped.
Trusted Contributor

I wonder if they shouldn't have gone ahead and moved it to Monday night.  I worry about all of the fans going to the game Sunday night, even if it is above freezing and with only rain, if they have had freezing rain or ice earlier in the day on Sunday.  But I suppose that wouldn't be good for the players as the winning team would have one less day to prepare for the next game.