Esteemed Contributor

Re: UhRe: Week Two of the NFL Playoffs! The Divisional Round!

The Buc's defense helped me win 1st place in my Divisional fantasy lineup. I didn't expect the Saints having 3 interceptions, though. I was surprised that Michael Thomas was held without a catch throughout  the game. 

It's too bad that Brees had to end his career with this loss, but I think that his overall achievements will overcome the last game. 

Aaron Rodgers had the worst game of the season when he faced the Bucs a few months ago. This was in Tampa, though, and he should do better playing in Lambeau. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Re: UhRe: Week Two of the NFL Playoffs! The Divisional Round!

If there's a team out there that's absolutely desperate for someone to play left tackle and that doesn't care if the guy can play, Jason Peters is planning to come back one more year to play again. Uh, yeah. Thanks, but no thanks, Jason. He admits it won't be with the Eagles (or any other sane team based on his film from this year.) But he wants to play one more year in the NFL. I don't see any sane team taking a shot at him. He showed absolutely nothing this year and should have been benched long before he was.

Against the Browns, he gave up three sacks, three QB hits, and seven pressures. Yeah. As a rule, if you wanted to be Defensive Player of the Week, all you had to do was line up against Jason Peters and it was yours. (Kerrigan in week one. Micah Kiser in week two. Calais Campbell in week six. And Olivier Vernon in week eleven. Not great.) There are only a total of 32 Defensive players of the week (one in the AFC and one in the NFC each week) and we made four of the 32 this year. Three of the four were defensive linemen who largely went against Jason Peters. Not great for his resume.

If you're drafting a kid left tackle and you want him to have a mentor in an older, experienced guy, then maybe you sign Peters for the league minimum and keep him around as a mentor/backup for the kid. That's where his value is right now. As a player, he's done. As a reserve player/coach/mentor he could have some value at the right price, but the right price would be the league minimum. Unless you're an insanely desperate team, signing Jason Peters is a mistake. I don't see him getting a job again in 2021. He's shown nothing on recent film to make me think he's got anything left other than knowledge to pass on to a kid.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Week Two of the NFL Playoffs! The Divisional Round!

@gardenman wrote:

In an ominous sign, the Josh McDaniels interview to be Eagles head coach is now in hour nine. Reportedly, he's already assembled a coaching staff he's comfortable with and it includes Matt Patricia as defensive coordinator. Not ideal in my opinion, but we'll see what happens.

@gardenman 

Looks like the Eagles and Texans are the only two teams still looking for a Head Coach......which one commentator said not exactly the best scenarios for either job.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

In an ominous sign, the Josh McDaniels interview to be Eagles head coach is now in hour nine. Reportedly, he's already assembled a coaching staff he's comfortable with and it includes Matt Patricia as defensive coordinator. Not ideal in my opinion, but we'll see what happens.

@gardenman 

Looks like the Eagles and Texans are the only two teams still looking for a Head Coach......which one commentator said not exactly the best scenarios for either job.....

It's good for the Eagles. We have draft picks (the Texans cupboard is pretty much bare due to trades they'd made) and two quarterbacks who aren't demanding a trade. At least not publicly.

If you're one of the coaches still looking for a job, the Eagles might be the preferred destination. We're kind of the lesser of two evils.

And there are very good prospective head coaches still out there looking for work. Who knew we'd become the best option for a coach looking for a job?

The Eagles aren't a bad team from a personnel standpoint. Both lines are solid when healthy. We've got two QBs, at least for now. Lots of youth on offense. A couple of good young linebackers. (Alex Singleton pretty much led the league in tackles once he got on the field.) A lockdown corner in Darius Slay. And the sixth overall pick in a draft where there are eight to ten elite players. If you ignore the meddlesome owner and GM this is a pretty good team to take over.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

It was nice to see fans at Lambeau Field. Wish we could get 20,000 up there next week, but that's wishful thinking. No matter who we play, I think it will be a close game.

Then the conversation will move to the Super Bowl and young vs old quarterbacks.

GO PACKERS

Go green and gold! They should be able to beat TB, but nothing is guaranteed. I would love to see GB in the Super Bowl.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

It was nice to see fans at Lambeau Field. Wish we could get 20,000 up there next week, but that's wishful thinking. No matter who we play, I think it will be a close game.

Then the conversation will move to the Super Bowl and young vs old quarterbacks.

GO PACKERS

Go green and gold! They should be able to beat TB, but nothing is guaranteed. I would love to see GB in the Super Bowl.

The only real downside to Green Bay winning the Super Bowl is that Aaron Rodgers could decide to go out while on top and opt to retire. I don't think he would, but you never know. That would be less than ideal for Green Bay. Jordan Love could be great, but you never know with kid QBs. He won't be another Aaron Rodgers, that's for sure.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman 

It's good for the Eagles. We have draft picks (the Texans cupboard is pretty much bare due to trades they'd made) and two quarterbacks who aren't demanding a trade. At least not publicly.

If you're one of the coaches still looking for a job, the Eagles might be the preferred destination. We're kind of the lesser of two evils.

And there are very good prospective head coaches still out there looking for work. Who knew we'd become the best option for a coach looking for a job?

The Eagles aren't a bad team from a personnel standpoint. Both lines are solid when healthy. We've got two QBs, at least for now. Lots of youth on offense. A couple of good young linebackers. (Alex Singleton pretty much led the league in tackles once he got on the field.) A lockdown corner in Darius Slay. And the sixth overall pick in a draft where there are eight to ten elite players. If you ignore the meddlesome owner and GM this is a pretty good team to take over.

@gardenman 

I agree the Eagles are a MUCH better job for all the reasons you mentioned, BUT a meddling owner/GM combo can destroy a franchise...Exhibit A: look at my Redskins, and what meddling Snyder did-he destroyed a once proud franchise that JKC had built by staying out of the way of the "football people".....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman 

@gardenman 

I agree the Eagles are a MUCH better job for all the reasons you mentioned, BUT a meddling owner/GM combo can destroy a franchise...Exhibit A: look at my Redskins, and what meddling Snyder did-he destroyed a once proud franchise that JKC had built by staying out of the way of the "football people".....Woman Frustrated

One of the advantages for a coach taking the Philly job is everyone in the league knows the situation, so if things go south, you can blame the owner/GM for meddling. They've fired Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, and Doug Pederson for God's sake. It's one of those jobs where being fired by the Eagles might even help you get another job. "It wasn't me, it was those two!" is very believable for a team looking to hire you down the road.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman 

@gardenman 

One of the advantages for a coach taking the Philly job is everyone in the league knows the situation, so if things go south, you can blame the owner/GM for meddling. They've fired Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, and Doug Pederson for God's sake. It's one of those jobs where being fired by the Eagles might even help you get another job. "It wasn't me, it was those two!" is very believable for a team looking to hire you down the road.

@gardenman 

I guess that's why the Jet's always fill up their coaching vacancies pretty quickly....afterall, they havent won a Super Bowl since 1969...can't be the coach, lousy owners and front office..... 🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The difference is the Jets fire losing coaches who go on to fail elsewhere. The Eagles fire winning coaches who go on to win elsewhere. The number of playoff coaches this year who came through Philly at one stage or another of their career is impressive. Reid, Nagy, Harbaugh, Rivera, McDermott, Leslie Frazier, Todd Bowles (Chip Kelly era), Frank Reich (Pederson era) all coming out of Philly. Getting the boot in Philly is kind of the mark of a winning coach. And those who came through Philly but missed the playoffs is pretty impressive also. Jon Gruden being one of many. We find really good coaches then turn them loose and let others benefit from it.

Where would Philly be now if we'd kept even some of those guys? The Jets had Parcells for a bit on the downside of his career. They had Belichick twice but he never coached a game for them. Weird. They just don't churn out good coaches like Philly does. We find them/make them then we fire them and they go on to success elsewhere. The Jets, not so much.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!