Honored Contributor

Re: Week Two of the NFL Playoffs! The Divisional Round!

@teganslaw wrote:

@yellowrose wrote:

I'm sure McCarthy had the shortest interview in history.....

Jones...."So Mike, was it a catch?"

McCarthy...."Absolutely"

Jones..."Welcome to Dallas"

What game is Philly playing asking for permission to interview Kellen Moore?

As if he's ready to be an NFL head coach.

But many Cowboy fans wished he had taken the Boise job.

I saw the replay and it was a catch! Can't be convinced otherwise. 

A previous post mentioned Jason Garrett as Eagles' HC. He put up with Jerry Jones all those, years, he could easily manage Lurie and Roseman. Seems that there was no interest in him,though. 

@teganslaw 

I wonder if Jerry was asked an opinion on Garrett and gave him a bad recommendation...OR...perhaps the Giant's pulled Garrett aside and told him to "hang tight, if things dont work out with Judge, you're next in line" and so Garrett turned down any interviews not wanting to mess up his next assignment...Who knows....🤔

@yellowrose 

Our local guys here said, Kellen Moore is "Jerry's guy"......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry @gardenman your Eagles are a mess ......

Now what I don't understand is Kyle Smith has done a good job with the draft for my WFT....he found some mid and late round gems, so why the search for a new GM, unless Rivera wants to make sure it's "his guy" in that position so they will listen and do what Rivera wants........

They are interviewing Eric Stokes, an internal candidate. He 

currently serves as the team’s director of pro personnel, a job he began in July. He followed Rivera from Carolina, where Stokes worked as the senior director of college scouting. Stokes had a two-year playing career and is completing his 19th season in personnel.

Washington also has Ryan Cowden (Titans), Martin Mayhew (49ers), JoJo Wooden (Chargers) and Nick Polk (Falcons) on its list of candidates.  Martin Mayhew, a blast from the past....he played with the Redskins 89-92 and was part of the XXVI Super Bowl team. Back in 2018 he interviewed for the Carolina GM job, but they decided to stay pat at their GM spot....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@yellowrose wrote:

I'm sure McCarthy had the shortest interview in history.....

Jones...."So Mike, was it a catch?"

McCarthy...."Absolutely"

Jones..."Welcome to Dallas"

What game is Philly playing asking for permission to interview Kellen Moore?

As if he's ready to be an NFL head coach.

But many Cowboy fans wished he had taken the Boise job.

I saw the replay and it was a catch! Can't be convinced otherwise. 

A previous post mentioned Jason Garrett as Eagles' HC. He put up with Jerry Jones all those, years, he could easily manage Lurie and Roseman. Seems that there was no interest in him,though. 

Yeah, Garrett's one of the few people in football who hasn't been publicly linked to the Eagles just yet. He would be a good fit in terms of being a lapdog. (They may have interviewed him privately though, so who knows? A local sports reporter who's generally pretty dialed in says they've interviewed or plan to interview 40 people and we only know of about 20 publicly, so Garrett could be on the list.)

The Chargers seem most interested in hiring Garrett. He'd be a good fit for them. He always wins, (Only one losing season as a head coach.) He's good with young QBs and they've got Justin Herbert. He teaches Don Coryell's offense and Don Coryell is a legend for the Chargers. It's a pretty natural fit.

The Philly media would absolutely crush the poor guy though. I can pretty much guarantee you one of the first questions they'd ask is something along the line of: "What are your plans other than standing on the sideline clapping?" To say the Philly media isn't supportive is an understatement. They'll do everything they can to undermine a coach or manager as quickly as possible. Any hiccups in a guy's background (Urban Meyer has several) would be highlighted by the media and become their sole focus. Doug Pederson came in as a former Eagle, a really good guy, no known foibles or miscues, came from a good coaching tree, and they attacked him from day one. Too inexperienced. Only a head coach at the high school level. Wasn't really an OC in KC because Andy Reid was. Etc.

Whoever you hire in Philly pretty much has to qualify for sainthood, never lose a game, have all of the players adoring him, never make a bad call in a game, and be perfect, and then they'd attack him for being perfect.. The Philly market is known as being Negadelphia to many players and coaches. It's a brutal place to try and survive. Robert Saleh would have been an interesting hire. He strikes me as a no BS kind of a guy who might rip the head off of a reporter or two given the chance. That may be why the Jets hired him.

Lurie/Roseman likely won't hire someone like him for fear he'd rip their heads off. (Which might not be such a bad idea.) They're looking for a compliant lapdog who they can hire cheap. (Ideally.) They could get in a bidding war for someone like Bieniemy if they felt like it, but I doubt that they would. Duce Staley is kind of their low-cost alternative to Bieniemy and could end up being a better coach than him. The Philly media would be quick to pounce on Staley, "He's never even been a real coordinator!" but Duce knows the Philly media and could probably handle their attacks.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I suspect it's a loyalty issue for the WFT and their GM. The head coach/GM relationship is crucial. A lot of bad teams have a GM who gets players who don't fit the coach's system then blame the coach for any issues. You need a lot of communication between the two. That could be lacking with the WFT currently. 

If Kyle Smith played any major role in drafting Haskins, that alone could be enough to have Rivera not trust his judgment. If Smith defended Haskins and wanted him kept around, that could also have worked against him. One of the hardest things for many GMs is admitting they made a mistake. They'll keep someone on the roster who's not a player simply so they don't look bad for having drafted him.

The Eagles and JJ Arcega-Whiteside are a good example of that. A second-round pick two years ago. In two seasons he's amassed a total of 14 catches for 254 yards. It's not like the Eagles had all-pros in front of him. He's been in 24 games and has only looked good in the preseason. Why is he on the roster? Because Howie drafted him in the second round.

Rivera doesn't care where a guy was drafted. They perform or they're gone. Haskins is gone and he was a first-round pick. Howie and whoever his new lapdog coach is will keep JJ around for a while over more deserving players simply because of where he was drafted.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

I suspect it's a loyalty issue for the WFT and their GM. The head coach/GM relationship is crucial. A lot of bad teams have a GM who gets players who don't fit the coach's system then blame the coach for any issues. You need a lot of communication between the two. That could be lacking with the WFT currently. 

If Kyle Smith played any major role in drafting Haskins, that alone could be enough to have Rivera not trust his judgment. If Smith defended Haskins and wanted him kept around, that could also have worked against him. One of the hardest things for many GMs is admitting they made a mistake. They'll keep someone on the roster who's not a player simply so they don't look bad for having drafted him.

The Eagles and JJ Arcega-Whiteside are a good example of that. A second-round pick two years ago. In two seasons he's amassed a total of 14 catches for 254 yards. It's not like the Eagles had all-pros in front of him. He's been in 24 games and has only looked good in the preseason. Why is he on the roster? Because Howie drafted him in the second round.

Rivera doesn't care where a guy was drafted. They perform or they're gone. Haskins is gone and he was a first-round pick. Howie and whoever his new lapdog coach is will keep JJ around for a while over more deserving players simply because of where he was drafted.

@gardenman 

But here ya go ----what if the GM got his marching orders from the owner to draft the QB his son went to school with....whats a GM to do?!?!?!?!?!? Even if Haskins was drafted on Kyle's watch whose decision was it?!?!?!? But Kyle is now free to do his job and doesnt have to worry about interference from Snyder thanks to Rivera!...

It looks like Rivera made it clear that he would only take the WFT job if HE got to have the final approval on personnel and front office decisions....👍.... 

Honored Contributor

AND THE PLOT GETS THICKER!!!!  DeShaun Watson is saying, HE JUST WANTS OUT" from the Texans!!!--smart guy!!!  That should create a scramble for some teams needing QBs to see what they can offer Houston........Interesting Houston's NBA star left for Brooklyn...everyone's leaving H Town.....I don't blame them....😄😉

Esteemed Contributor

"Houston, we have a problem!"  DeShaun Watson recently signed a lucrative contract; trying to trade him might cause a headache in salary cap issues. 

Here we go again: the NFL rescinded Josh Gordon's reinstatement  in the league and has suspended him indefinitely. No details were given on why it was changed.

Looking forward to the games today. Aaron Rodgers has had trouble in the past with highly rated defenses. Aaron Donald says that he's ready to play, so we'll see how this works out. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

It's going to be an interesting offseason with QBs moving here, there, and everywhere. DeShaun Watson is likely at the top of every team's wish list. It looks like half the teams could have new QBs in 2021.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

What's this-----I was reading a report that detailed how Wentz is "uncoachable" and insubordinate....WOW....shades of RGME (,,,,er...III)! Of course some of it probably has to do with Doug's questionable play calling.....But most feel Wentz is staying in Philly...so that $20 Wentz jersey you picked up was a good investment......👍

Here's another one to add to the Eagle's interview list---Josh McDaniels.....Of course, @teganslaw  can probably fill you in on what she thinks of that guy.....after what he did to her Colts....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman 

What's this-----I was reading a report that detailed how Wentz is "uncoachable" and insubordinate....WOW....shades of RGME (,,,,er...III)! Of course some of it probably has to do with Doug's questionable play calling.....But most feel Wentz is staying in Philly...so that $20 Wentz jersey you picked up was a good investment......👍

Here's another one to add to the Eagle's interview list---Josh McDaniels.....Of course, @teganslaw  can probably fill you in on what she thinks of that guy.....after what he did to her Colts....

Yeah, the jersey was a great deal. Show me a quarterback who's not a bit of a jerk. It's a common trait. Talk to his former coaches about Aaron Rodgers. Talk to Belichick about Brady. They're all arrogant, pig-headed, type a, driven, can do no wrong, guys. If you're looking for the traits of a good QB, those are pretty much it.

The Josh McDaniel news has not gone over well in Philly. I don't see that happening, but we'll see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!