Honored Contributor

Re: Week Two of the NFL Playoffs! The Divisional Round!

@yellowrose wrote:

Someone posted this on facebook....

"If KC and GB play in the SB, they should let Jake from State Farm

do the coin toss"  Haha.  Wonder how much State Farm would be

willing to pay for that to happen.

My family members in Cleveland are going nuts, in a good way.

For them, I'm rooting for the Browns.

@yellowrose 

Yep, I agree get Jake, from State Farm out there...

🤣🤣🤣

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I wonder how many  State Farm and Progressive commercials will be shown during the Browns-Chiefs Divisional Round. I have State Farm, but prefer Mayfield's Progressive commercials. 

I didn't know Lurie and Roseman wanted Frank Reich fired. It worked out good for the Colts, though. 

Yeah, that news just came out a few hours ago. Reportedly Lurie was unhappy with how the Eagles performed in 2016 and wanted to make wholesale changes. Doug refused. Lurie then interviewed people (Jim Schwartz and reportedly others) to replace Doug and his staff, but opted to stick with Doug one more year and Doug then won the Super Bowl in 2017, The Eagles made the playoffs and were one Alshon Jeffrey dropped pass from reaching the NFC Championship game in 2018. Then in 2019 things were looking good in the playoffs until Seahawk Jadeveon Clowney speared Wentz in the back of the helmet concussing him. Josh McCown then took over and almost got the Eagles the win despite tearing his hamstring. In 2020 things fell apart when injuries devastated the offensive line. (I believe we had 14 starting line combinations in 17 games with multiple changes mid-game.) Add in non-producing wide receivers, injuries pretty much everywhere on offense but QB, and 2020 was a lost cause. It does give Lurie/Roseman the excuse they needed to fire the coach though. 

And if the rumors we heard from midseason on were true, Doug was only too happy to leave. Each year he's been forced to make changes to his staff and he's just tired of it. It makes it hard to have a good working relationship with the coaches under you if you and they know the upper management will want them gone at a moment's notice and the head coach can't protect them. 

Last year Doug had his postseason press conference and announced that his coaches were coming back in 2020. That afternoon/evening Lurie and Roseman ended up firing two of those coaches and sent Doug out the next day to break the news to the media. It made Doug look like an out of touch idiot and a liar and that's not a good look for your head coach. When you don't cut the checks, you can't control the hiring and firing of those around you. When those who do cut the checks are impetuous idiots, it doesn't help matters any.

The Eagles are in a bad place right now. Getting a good new head coach will be more than a little bit of a challenge. Getting and keeping a good staff under that head coach will be even harder. Why give up a secure job elsewhere and come to Philly knowing an impetuous owner can opt to cut you loose at any time?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

I wonder how many  State Farm and Progressive commercials will be shown during the Browns-Chiefs Divisional Round. I have State Farm, but prefer Mayfield's Progressive commercials. 

I didn't know Lurie and Roseman wanted Frank Reich fired. It worked out good for the Colts, though. 

@teganslaw 

I too prefer Mayfield's Progressive commercial's too...they are clever and funny......😄  State Farms pitch has grown rather stale....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Gee, hearing all about Lurie/Roseman and what they did to Pederson and the Eagles's assistant coaches makes Dan Snyder appear almost "normal"....😄 They just dont get as much bad press as Snyder....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Enjoyed your commentary in particular the humorous descriptions of Brady and Brees.....😄

Okay Week 2 of the Playoffs----let me make some picks

Rams vs Packers---- Rams have a bunch of injuries and questions --- including defensive stand out Donald, and then there's Goff's recently repaired thumb.....Aaron and the Pack are ready to go....only one player on their injury report that did not practice.....I'm going with Aaron and crew at Lambeau, PACKERS for the win! 

Ravens vs Bills ----  The Ravens have been red hot and on a roll offensively, but.Lamar will need to play a good game and not make mistakes...The Colts came back in the game and gave the Bills all they could handle!, but they did prevail!! The Bills are a good solid balanced team.  This should be a great game....coin flip....Im taking the BILLS at home! 

Browns vs Chiefs---- The Chiefs look a bit vunerable this year even Mahomes at times, but never leave any time at all on the clock with him at quarterback!!!  The Browns have played so much better this year...although at times still dont play up to their talent....they had a good season and got a win over the Steelers despite dealing with coaches and players absent due to COVID.  My head says the Chiefs, but my heart is with the Browns....What the heck, Im going with the upset! BROWNS WIN!

Bucs vs Saints---- The Bucs beat my WFT but they did get some sacks on Brady (which remains Superman Brady's Kryptonite )......The Saints easily handled the Bears, but they are the Bears, who snuck into the playoffs by default (this division is almost as bad as the NFC East--Packers rule easily).... The Bucs seem to have righted their Buccaneer ship as of late, Tom seems to be in tune with his weapons, and in particular AB has risen from the ashes---at least ON THE FIELD!  Meanwhile and the Saints have gotten all their weapons back, including their aging QB......Sure Brees was good against the Bears but the Bucs defense is better than that.....and earlier in the season he didnt look like an NFL QB legend...Now I have a dilemma, because the Saints DE Marc Davenport is from my very own city, and it would be nice to see a hometown boy advance in the playoffs....BUT somehow, someway I think the legend of Tom Brady will go forward with a BUCCANEER WIN against the Saints--

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! -

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In other news---

@teganslaw @gardenman 

Chuck Pagano Bears DC and long time Colts head coach announced his retirement.....Always liked him...Happy Retirement Chuck!

The Eagles are interviewing one of the Brady Bunch, Joe Brady that is....Panthers OC....

Broncos hire George Paton as GM (he is not related to the General--- the Broncos guy spells his name with one "T") .....he was assistant GM with the Vikings.....an odd hiring by Elway...what have the Vikings done lately?!?!?!?!?

Interesting stuff---rumor has it some of the Dolphins arent sold on Tua....hmmmm....does this pave a way for that Watson to Dolphins trade with the Texans we heard bandied about....STAY TUNED

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, there's lots of QB chatter going around. The Dolphins aren't sold on Tua. The Niners might move on from Jimmy G. The Jets are looking to unload Darnold. The Rams might dump Goff. Brees will/might retire. The Panthers aren't happy with Teddy Bridgewater. Brady might retire. The Giants are talking of moving up to get a new QB. The WFT think Alex Smith might retire and need someone to play QB. The Steelers might move on from Ben. The Saints say they want Jameis Winston back. And somehow the Eagles have two QBs and may be looking to unload one. It's going to be an interesting offseason.

We've gotten to the point where the Eagles are interviewing literally everyone for the head coaching job. I think they're just going through the NFL phone book and scheduling everyone. It's a weird coaching hunt throughout the league. Typically one of the seven teams will have been blown away by a guy and grabbed him. Are they all having bad interviews? It's a little weird. Some teams have brought guys back for second interviews, but no one's bought the ring and gotten on a knee just yet. It's kind of interesting. A good half of the teams started the search very early and still don't have anyone signed. Are the teams all waiting to see who wins the Super Bowl and poach their assistants? I don't know, but it's kind of weird.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Eagles are continuing to bring in every human being who ever played, coached, or watched a football game to interview for the head coaching spot. We may have gotten a later start than the rest of the teams but we're making up for it in volume. I'm not sure how thorough the interview process can be when you're interviewing something like six to ten guys a day, but whatever. 

By the way, anyone looking to hire Doug Pederson should know that he's now reportedly planning to take a full year off to decompress. Check back this time next year to see where he ends up. It's not a good sign for any potential incoming coach to know that Doug needs a year off to recover from the experience he had in five years here. The good news for Doug is the Eagles are still paying him through 2022. His deciding to opt-out for a year made him untradeable so the Eagles lost that opportunity. He can still opt to coach a team if he decides to though, but the Eagles lost all negotiating leverage when he said he was taking a year off.

Robert Saleh was considered a top contender in Philly, but judging from his appearance he doesn't strike me as the type to let a couple of fantasy football guys (Lurie/Roseman) set his roster and hire his staff. He's more the type to go into their offices swinging a large club and getting his way after throwing those two around a bit. Somehow I don't think that's the kind of coach our two nerdish owners want bullying them into doing the right thing. They're looking more for a lapdog coach than a pit bull. Saleh is more of a pit bull. 

Here's the more or less complete list of people they've interviewed, plan to interview, hope to interview, or think are stupid enough to take the job. Robert Saleh, Joe Brady, Mike Kafka, Jerod Mayo, Arthur Smith, Todd Bowles, Brian Daboll, Ryan Day, Duce Staley, Lincoln Riley, Luke Fickell, Eric Bieniemy, Brandon Staley, Greg Roman, Nathaniel Hackett, Dave Toub, Josh McDaniels (God help us!), Byron Leftwich, and Matt Campbell. (Oddly, no Jason Garrett. He's a known head coach who's only had one losing season and is used to being a puppet for a power-mad owner/GM. You'd think he'd be right up their alley.) 

Sometime before September they'll announce who the new head coach is and will swear he was the best person they interviewed and they were just blown away by him. They'll insist they would have taken him over everyone else who was hired by everyone else.

I have a suspicion the interview process goes something like this.

"Would you like to catch our team?"

"Yes." Checkmark.

"Do you think we're the best owner and GM in the league?"

"Yes." Checkmark.

"Are you willing to let us pick your coaches and set the roster?"

"Yes." Checkmark.

"Are you willing to coach for half the salary of everyone else we've interviewed?"

"Sure." Checkmark.

"Are you willing to face the media and take all of the blame for our bad decisions?"

"Yeah, I guess so." Checkmark.

"Well, that wraps up all of the questions, and congratulations! You're the new head coach."

I don't have a good feeling about this situation. Oh well, what's the worst that could happen? It's not like we could hire Mike McCarthy. I probably shouldn't give them that idea. They may offer the Cowboys our whole draft to trade for McCarthy.

My money would be on someone with an Eagles connection which would make Duce Staley, Mike Kafka, Todd Bowles, or Lincoln Riley the favorites. I don't think they'll pay Lincoln Riley what it would take to lure him away from Oklahoma. Mike Kafka as a former QB and Andy Reid protege might be pretty high on the list, but he's likely had chats with Doug about things and may not want the job. Todd Bowles was just here for one year as secondary coach and then thrust into the defensive coordinator slot when our dynamic duo of Lurie/Roseman decided to fire the original DC midway through the season. I'm not sure how fond he is of the Eagels as a result of that. So, that leaves Duce Staley. The players love him. He's been in Philly forever. His only real negative is that he likes to run the ball and Lurie/Roseman like to pass the ball. I suspect Duce will get the job. We'll find out sometime between now and September.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

To the shock and horror of Cowboy fans, the Eagles are now wanting to interview Kellen Moore, the Cowboys offensive coordinator. It would be kind of a win-win for the Eagles. You get a bright, young offensive-minded coach, while taking him away from a rival. JJ is likely pulling out his checkbook to give Moore whaever it takes to keep him in Dallas. Word is that Moore is the head coach in waiting should McCarthy not show marked improvement in season two. That wait to become head coach may be very short if that's the only way Dallas can keep Moore. If it's McCarthy or Moore in Dallas, it might be bad to be McCarthy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I'm sure McCarthy had the shortest interview in history.....

Jones...."So Mike, was it a catch?"

McCarthy...."Absolutely"

Jones..."Welcome to Dallas"

What game is Philly playing asking for permission to interview Kellen Moore?

As if he's ready to be an NFL head coach.

But many Cowboy fans wished he had taken the Boise job.