Honored Contributor

Week Two of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

We start out this week with the Bengals at the Browns on Thursday night. This could be a pretty good game. The Bengals are improved. The Browns are, well, the Browns. If the Browns are ever going to pull out of their never-ending nosedive, this is the week to do it. That's why I'm picking the Bengals for the win. I just don't have any faith in the Browns and I'll pick them to lose every week until they show me they can win a game. It may be a year or two, but that's my plan.

Next up are the Jaguars at the Titans. I'll take the Titans though the Jaguars are looking a bit more competitive this year. 

The Panthers are at the Bucs. An interesting game. Carolina played pretty well last week. The Bucs, not so much. Brady hates losing though and he's likely ready to kill his teammates this week, so they'll be too scared to lose again. I'll take the Bucs but an upset wouldn't shock me.

The Broncos are at the Steelers. (NFL.com has the Steelers as being 0-1 on the schedule page of their website which had me briefly confused. I would have sworn they won. They did.) The Steelers are motivated this year and just better than the Broncos right now. I'll take the Steelers.

The Rams are at the Eagles. (Hmmm...note to self: ignore the won/lost record on NFL.com's schedule page. They have the Rams 0-1 and the Eagles 1-0. In fact, they're wrong on about half the records.) A bounce-back game for the Eagles this week. They played great for a third of the game last week before things fell apart. If they can stretch that good play for a whole game they can compete with anyone in the league. Dumb stuff doomed them last week. A couple of inaccurate passes thrown to the inside shoulder instead of the outside shoulder and intercepted, a couple of critical drops, just dumb mistakes. They weren't outplayed as much as were just stupid. I'm betting they play smarter this week. Lots of kids got valuable experience last week. I'm taking the Eagles in this one. Facing the fans at 0-2 isn't something anyone wants.

The Niners are at the Jets in what amounts to an early-season bye for the Niners. They can't lose this game. If they do, then stick a fork in them. I'll take the Niners big in this one. I think the Jets are looking at replacing Sam Darnold with Trevor Lawrence in 2021.

The Bills are at the Dolphins. I like the Bills a lot this year. They should spank the Dolphins pretty easily. I'll take the Bills. The Dolphins pretty much should be playing Tua, but they're reportedly sticking with Fitzpatrick.

The Vikings are at the Colts in a toss-up game for me. The Vikings put up some points against Green Bay, but not nearly enough. The Colts may be finding out why the Chargers were willing to let Philip Rivers leave. I'll take the Vikings in this one, but it could go either way.

The Lions are at the Packers. God help the Lions. The Packers are just too good with Aaron Rodgers at QB. I'll take the Packers big in this one.

The Falcons are at the Cowboys in an interesting game. Both teams really need this game. The Falcons got beat by the Seahawks last week, but there's no real shame in that. The Seahawks are a very good team. The Cowboys lost to the Rams and we don't really know what the Rams are just yet. The Cowboys lost Vander Esch in that game and he'll be out for weeks after his shoulder surgery. I'm taking the Falcons in the upset here. No Vander Esch, no Sean Lee, that's a lot of leadership for that Cowboy defense to replace.

The Giants are at the Bears. The plan to beat the Giants is to stop Saquon Barkley and force Daniel Jones to beat you. The Steelers showed that to good effect this past week. The Bears will follow the same gameplan. I'm taking the Bears in this one.

The WFT take on the Cardinals. Good luck to the WFT on stopping that Cardinals passing game. Expect the ball to be in the air a lot and the Cards to score a lot. Despite winning last week the Redskins were barely able to move the ball averaging just 2.2 yards per rush and 3.4 yards per play. You're not going to win many games like that. I'll take the Cards in this one.

The Chiefs are at the Chargers. Well, it's not the best way to christen your new stadium, getting massacred by the best team in football. Come on schedule makers, surely you could have had the Chargers playing the Dolphins, Jets, or someone more beatable for their home opener? I'll take the Chiefs in a romp.

The Ravens are at the Texans in what could be a playoff preview. The Texans still are viable despite bleeding talent over the last few years. They can win enough to reach the playoffs. They're not as good as the Ravens though. I'll take the Ravens in this one.

The Patriots are at the Seahawks in a good early season test for Cam Newton. Cam is one of those scary dudes at QB who can beat anyone on a good day and lose to anyone on a bad day. Russell Wilson doesn't really know what a bad day is. I'll take the Seahawks in this one.

And finally, we have the Saints at the Raiders. (Note to Raiders stadium architect: You built a largely black stadium in the middle of a desert? Seriously? Have you never touched anything black that's been sitting in the sun? They may have to build a nuclear reactor adjacent to that stadium to supply the power needed to cool it.) The Raiders are improved and improving, but the Saints still have Drew Brees. He may be a bit short-handed this week with Michael Thomas his top receiver down with a bad ankle, but this is Drew Brees. They could activate a ball boy and put him out there and Brees would find a way to get the win. I'll take the Saints.

Alert observers may have noticed I'm posting this Tuesday night instead of Wednesday morning. There's a reason for that. My sister-in-law wants me to take her shopping tomorrow morning and she's a very, very, very slow shopper, so despite leaving home at eight-ish I may not get back until noon or later, so I'm popping it up tonight.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Week Two of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

Sorry, I won't watch until the players learn to respect the public and fans again.

Honored Contributor

I’m watching Cam.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

wouldn't dream of supporting any of these disrespectful, thugs. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm watching my Chiefs. Thank you, gardenman, for keeping us updated on football. Love your passion for the game.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Man I LOVE this game, absent fans and all. Thank you yes for your insight into games, teams, stats. I am convinced you were a sportswriter in your lifetime. I read you every week...GO RAVENS🏈💜

Respected Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

Sorry, I won't watch until the players learn to respect the public and fans again.

That's exactly how I feel.  I'm done with football.

Trusted Contributor

Not in our house-we will not support any player, team, or owner who disrespects our country and flag.

We were a sports family.  It was an easy decision.   God Bless America.  

Honored Contributor

I don't blame anyone for feeling how they feel. For me, not watching a sport I love would be punishing me and I've done nothing wrong. I'm wearing out my mute button from the number of times I'm using it muting their lectures, but I'd only be punishing myself by not watching the games.

As anyone who's read these threads for a while knows, I'm not a fan of Kaepernick and the protests. I think they're stupid. They achieve nothing but creating further division. That seems to be the goal of many people these days, to splinter the country into factions. "It's not about the flag!" is their latest cry, but Kaepernick himself made it all about the flag in his earlier interviews.

There are those who have beliefs that they just know to be true and facts don't matter to them. They create whatever narrative supports their belief and expect everyone else to adopt it. 

LeBron James makes over $80 million a year in salary and endorsements. That's over two hundred times the salary of the President of the United States. He's abused? He's discriminated against? There's systemic racism holding him down? Seriously?

Are there racists in the world? Absolutely! Will you change them by lecturing them? Absolutely not. Racism is a belief and people don't change beliefs on a whim. In a free country, you're allowed to believe whatever you choose to believe. If you believe in racism, you're allowed to do so. You're not legally allowed to discriminate against people based on that belief, but in a free country, you're allowed to believe whatever you choose to believe. 

Kaepernick and many others feel they're oppressed. I don't share that belief. To them, that makes me a bad person. That's fine. They're allowed to think that. I think they're idiots for not looking at the facts and accepting reality. But hey, I'm allowed to believe that. It's a free country.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

wouldn't dream of supporting any of these disrespectful, thugs. 

you have the right to feel how you feel, but to call people

thugs? now i think that THAT is disrespectful.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein