Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Two of the 2019 NFL Playoffs: The Divisional Round

@sunshine45 wrote:

can someone help me choose a defense for this week?

i cannot use them again once used, so i have to keep that in mind also.

i also have trouble choosing a tight end.

If you have the money (I use fanduel where you have a $60,000 salary cap) Travis Kelce is a top option. He is one of the major players for KC and Mahomes signals him for targets. 

Philly's Zach Ertz and Colts Eric Ebron are also options. I don't use all of Colts players, but Luck has a good connection with Ebron, especially in the endzone. 

Defense is more difficult as you can't judge how the games will go. I have several lineups and have gone with Dallas and NE, the reason being that NE almost always plays well at home, and Dallas defense has caused sacks. Indy has  played well, but I'm thinking that game could be a shoot out.  NO defense has improved, and they usually play well in the dome, so you could go with them. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

KC is supposed to get 6 to 10 inches of snow.  I think this actually benefits the colts.

Honored Contributor

thanks so much @teganslaw.

i am going to look into some of your picks.

maybe i will do better than last place this week. Smiley LOL

no where to go but UP!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

ravens offensive coordinator is out.....marty mornhinweg......

he was asked to stay on in a different position, but he declined.

greg roman (assistant head coach and tight end coach) is promoted.

i think this is our 6th OC in the past 8 years or so maybe?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The Dolphins are reportedly hiring Brian Flores, the Patriots defensive coordinator, to be their next head coach. With the Bengals targeting Zac Taylor for their job, that pretty much fills all the head coaching vacancies. Some weird choices this year. Lots of teams are going young and inexperienced for head coaches. It used to be that the same guys would just shuffle around the league, but not so much this year. 

The big headscratcher to me is still the Kliff Kingsbury hire by the Cardinals. He took a college program on a twenty year winning streak and turned it into a losing program despite having three NFL caliber quarterbacks in Baker Mayfield, Davis Webb, and Patrick Mahomes. He alienated Baker Mayfield so much that Baker transferred to Oklahoma to get away from him. The fact that a team even interviewed him was odd (both the Jets and Cards did however) and the Cards hired him. Maybe it's a genius move on a level I'm just not comprehending, but that hire makes no sense to me at all. His only NFL level experience is as a player and he completed one of two passes for seventeen yards. That's it. He's never coached in the NFL. He's got a losing record as a college head coach despite being surrounded by great quarterbacks. And now he's the head coach of the Cards. I keep thinking I must be missing something, but danged if I know what.

I wonder how the Cardinal players feel about this hire? I find it hard to believe they're enthusiastic about it. How will the hire impact the Cards' ability to sign free agents? "Come here and play for a completely unproven college coach with a losing record with no NFL coaching experience! Did I mention we're in arguably the toughest division in all of football going against three proven, top tier NFL coaches?" Yeah, unless the Cards are really willing to overpay, or the players don't want to win, I don't see many top tier free agents going to the Cards. Retaining their own free agents will be a challenge. The Cards look like a team destined to go 3-13 (give or take a game or two) for the foreseeable future. When you've got the Rams, Seahawks, and Niners, all programs on the rise with proven coaches, and you bring in a Kingsbury, it's a little confusing. Maybe they really want that first overall pick in 2019 or 2020, but that's about the only way this makes sense. But hey, I could be wrong. We'll have to see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

I did think it was a bit funny and ironic how McCarthy got left out in th cold.....Like you said I think there was some whispering behind closed doors that made him a NO HIRE!

I have my favorite Redskins past and present but then I also have just favorite NFLplayers --- JJ Watt, Andrew Luck (gotta love a guy that still has a flip phone), Todd Gurley (he likes cats---google it-- Cat Very Happy Cat Tongue Cat LOL), ETC ETC---and I also like Larry Fitzgerald great teammate and player, bit of a renissance man and world traveler, does a lot of charity stuff, and keeps a voice mail message of his mom who passed away from cancer.  Now I said all that for this....If I was Larry Fitzgerald and saw this coach hire...I'd RETIRE....no way should he want to put his body through all the work and training for what looks like is going to be another disasterous and probably turbulent year ----get out while you can---you can wait for the Hall Of Fame call...and continue to travel the world.....

@teganslaw

Do you think the weather will impact the Colts and their defense of Mahomes?......

And everyone----

you'all can start those Browns jokes....

Of course the BAKER needed a KITCHEN!---Woman LOL But I do like the hire, he seems to have good repoire with Baker, and development seems to be going well....

Speaking of which, they got rid of Gregg Williams too..maybe they didnt want any sour grapes around.....

And I thought Gase was an odd hire for the Jets...he somewhat lost and alienated the locker room, some players were treated differently on the Dolphins!  He had an anemic offense, and was supposed to be a QB guru they finished 24th or worse, 31st in 2018 on offense

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

I agree. Larry Fitzgerald has nothing to gain playing for the Cards this year. They're likely to go 0-6 in their division and maybe 0-16 overall. I could be wrong, but this looks like a disaster in the making. Pretty much any Cardinal who can bail, whether via free agency or retirement, should bail out. The 2019 Cards may very well be drafting first overall again next year. There is absolutely nothing about this hire that gives me optimism. Failed college head coaches with no NFL coaching experience tend not to do well. (Not that a lot of teams have been dumb enough to give them a chance.) My only guess is that they looked at his college quarterbacks and decided he was good at making quarterbacks, so they hired him. I'm not sure how much he made the quarterbacks, or whether he lucked into some good ones who played well despite him.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

If I had to guess the chiefs will be impacted the most because they are a down the field finesse team. The colts have a good run game and have been winning in the trenches. But until the game is played who knows.

Honored Contributor

I think the snow may help the Colts in another way. Snow is very good at absorbing sound. It'll muzzle the KC fan noise somewhat. That should make communication a bit easier for the Colts. It won't be quiet, but it'll be muffled a bit by the snow.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Sorry if it's already been mentioned here. But Sarah Thomas is the first woman official in an NFL playoff game. In the Patriots Chargers game tomorrow.

No snow in Foxboro tomorrow, just cold. Go Pats!

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"