Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Two of the 2019 NFL Playoffs: The Divisional Round

It seems the colts stopped running after the very first play got stuffed. That goes on the coaching staff.

Honored Contributor

The Rams won the game by trying to make Dak Prescott beat them. They cleverly figured out that while he makes some plays, he's not a game dominating quarterback. They took away Ezekiel Elliott and challenged Dak to beat them and he couldn't. Make the Cowboys one dimensional by taking away the running game and they become a very average team. Dak isn't a horrible quarterback, but he's far from elite. He makes too many bone-headed plays too frequently.

Ah well, I'd have preferred to see the Cowboys win as the Eagles would go into Dallas breathing fire (if we win later today) but with the Eagles having beaten the Rams in LA a few weeks ago, the Rams will be the ones breathing fire if we get to play them. The Cowboys are themore beatable team of the two, but no one said it would be easy anyway.

Today we've got the Chargers at the Patriots. The weather looks pretty good for the game. It will reportedly be cold but sunny. My gut says the Patriots will win this one. We'll have to see if the Chargers can hang with them.

Later today we have the Eagles and the Saints. This is a scary game for me. Drew Brees is a machine. He'll test the Eagles defense in a big, big way. Nick Foles has to be ready to match him play for play. That's not such an easy thing to do. The Eagles use a bunch of different offensive formations to try and get an edge on their opponent, so I'm not sure what we'll see in today's game. The Saints are a bit more vulnerable to the pass than the run which means we could see three and four wide receiver sets. Of course, if their base defense can't cover Ertz and Goeddert (the Eagles tight ends) then we could see two tight end sets instead.

Mike Wallace, our speed receiver may finally get back on the field after breaking his ankle early in the season. We've also got Shelton Gibson, our speedy second year receiver who's mainly been playing special teams. Put those two guys on the outside if the Saints go into a single deep safety look and blast them down the field. Throw the ball to whichever one doesn't get the safety help for a big play. Alshon Jeffery and Darren Sproles are playing like men possessed. Expect big plays from both of them today also. That Saints offensive line is pretty banged up while the Eagles defensive line is pretty healthy which is good for the Eagles. It should let them get some pressure on Brees. It should be a good game.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday

I was surprised and happy to see the Chiefs defense really step up yesterday.  I think at halftime the Colts had about 50 yards of total offense.   

Go Chiefs from a Cowboys fan, a team that didn't step up in one area yesterday.     

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i dont know what it is, but i LOVE watching football being played while it is snowing.

i always think ot it as a cold weather game.

@sunshine45

Me too, love the snow games 😊

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday @teganslaw

So sorry about your Colts...but at least the Colts future looks right.... got a good QB, and ya got a good GM who started to build a good foundation and will make more good decisions to add to the team next year...and the Colts will get better and better......

My Redskins are goingin the opposite direction....We have a terrible GM, he makes bad decisions, half the squad is always hurt, they dont know fundamentals---cant tackle or block..no QB, and our team MVP is our punter, and we have a clueless owner whose lost much of his fan base......Woman Frustrated Woman Sad  So Colt fans count your blessings.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

The Rams won the game by trying to make Dak Prescott beat them. They cleverly figured out that while he makes some plays, he's not a game dominating quarterback. They took away Ezekiel Elliott and challenged Dak to beat them and he couldn't. Make the Cowboys one dimensional by taking away the running game and they become a very average team. Dak isn't a horrible quarterback, but he's far from elite. He makes too many bone-headed plays too frequently.

Ah well, I'd have preferred to see the Cowboys win as the Eagles would go into Dallas breathing fire (if we win later today) but with the Eagles having beaten the Rams in LA a few weeks ago, the Rams will be the ones breathing fire if we get to play them. The Cowboys are themore beatable team of the two, but no one said it would be easy anyway.

Today we've got the Chargers at the Patriots. The weather looks pretty good for the game. It will reportedly be cold but sunny. My gut says the Patriots will win this one. We'll have to see if the Chargers can hang with them.

Later today we have the Eagles and the Saints. This is a scary game for me. Drew Brees is a machine. He'll test the Eagles defense in a big, big way. Nick Foles has to be ready to match him play for play. That's not such an easy thing to do. The Eagles use a bunch of different offensive formations to try and get an edge on their opponent, so I'm not sure what we'll see in today's game. The Saints are a bit more vulnerable to the pass than the run which means we could see three and four wide receiver sets. Of course, if their base defense can't cover Ertz and Goeddert (the Eagles tight ends) then we could see two tight end sets instead.

Mike Wallace, our speed receiver may finally get back on the field after breaking his ankle early in the season. We've also got Shelton Gibson, our speedy second year receiver who's mainly been playing special teams. Put those two guys on the outside if the Saints go into a single deep safety look and blast them down the field. Throw the ball to whichever one doesn't get the safety help for a big play. Alshon Jeffery and Darren Sproles are playing like men possessed. Expect big plays from both of them today also. That Saints offensive line is pretty banged up while the Eagles defensive line is pretty healthy which is good for the Eagles. It should let them get some pressure on Brees. It should be a good game.

@gardenman

The Ram's defense almost blew it with those stupid penalties and gave the Cowboys all those crucial first  downs.the Cowboys o-line isnt what it used to be to make those holes from him, Zeke said the Rams beat them up front.....It will be interesting to see what Jerry does with Dak...Dak played his best, and thats what they would have to stik with...defintely just your middle of the pack QB.....Oh well, Jerry can go cry on his brand new yacht.....

for those who missed it, photo of the yacht he bought

Image result for jerry jones yacht

Honored Contributor

On a very very very sad note.....

J.D. Gibbs, the elder son of former Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, died Friday at age 49 after a long battle with a degenerative neurological disease.....Woman Sad  R.I.P JD

Honored Contributor

So far so good for the Patriots. They can't let up for a second.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

The big issue for the Colts will be their division. That AFC South is tough. The Texans will be good for a while. The Titans aren't bad. The Jags may have the most talent, just the worst QB who they're moving on from. The Colts can be better next year, but win fewer games given their competition. That's going to be their big issue. The Patriots are lucky in that there's no real challenger in the AFC East. The Colts aren't that lucky.

Dallas is going to have an interesting off season. They've got to figure out what to do with their free agents, who to target, then how to get impact players drafting late each round with no first round pick. They drafted Dak in the fourth round so they don't have a fifth year option on him. He was drafted in 2016, so 2019 will be the fourth year of his four year rookie deal. They won't want him testing free agency, so they'll likely extend his contract. He won't settle for less than top dollar, which is around $30 million a year these days. (He's not a $30 million a year QB though.) Dak could be franchise tagged, but then Dak could play the Kirk Cousins style of free agency and really force the Cowboys to overpay him. They don't really have a dominant tight end. Ezekiel Elliott has one more year on his deal, but he'll want Le'Veon Bell type money in 2021. Their coaching staff could be reworked. Their DC says he's coming back, but they have the young kid who shared the duty this year, who will likely want the full title, or a chance to be a DC elsewhere. Scott Linehan might be out as the OC. They've got lots of issues to sort out. It's not going to be a smooth and easy offseason for them.

The Patriots are just killing the Chargers. You can't let the Patriots get away from you. You've got to match them blow for blow and the Chargers aren't. If your defense can't stop Brady, then your QB has to match him play for play and right now Rivers isn't getting the job done.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

So far so good for the Patriots. They can't let up for a second.

@Greeneyedlady21

A lot of people keep predicting the Patriots demise, but they keep going on business as usual....