Honored Contributor

Re: Week Two of the 2019 NFL Playoffs: The Divisional Round

@Spurt

i dont think that is going to happen.

he already got his contract extension over a month ago and NOW they are supposedly working on a longer term contract for harbaugh.

i know that there are a growing number of people who are NOT happy about that though. i think that there are a lot of people who think that we need a coaching change.

i DO know that harbaugh will easily have a job if they ever do decide to let him go.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

gardenman......i get what you are saying about foles versus wentz, but then again, i dont really get it.

you are paying wentz for two years of being injured......and with a history of injuries in his short career so far. age 26

you are paying foles for two  years of playing healthy, even though he is aging. and of course he is a super bowl winning quarterback. age 30

i am not an expert.....i am not a coach.......i am not an owner. for me, i would definitely lean towards keeping foles and getting rid of wentz.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Today is Johnny Unitas Day: 1-9-19.

He is considered one of the greatest of all time for what he brought to the NFL; the passing game.

He was the first to use the tight end as an offensive weapon. He and his wide receiver, Raymond Berry would stay after practice to perfect the timing of their long pass plays, which had hardly been done before. He called his own plays and read the defense like a master. He won the "Greatest Game Ever Played" in 1958. Johnny U. brought the NFL to what it is today.

Today, 1/9/19 is his day!

https://www.profootballhof.com/players/johnny-unitas/

Honored Contributor

Kudos to Vic Fangio for getting a head coaching job. I'm not sure how much power/control he'll have though with Elway naming his offensive coordinator for him. If there's a disagreement between Kubiak and Fangio who will Elway side with, his friend Kubiak, or the head coach? That could get pretty messy. Fangio has a reputation of being a bit gruff, so things could get pretty interesting. Getting Fangio away from the Bears helps every other NFC team though.

Kitchens is probably a good hire. The Browns played well once they flushed Hue Jackson, so this gives Mayfield some continuity, which is smart.

The Kliff Kingsbury hire still makes no sense to me even after the Card's press conference. A college head coach with three NFL caliber quarterbacks who can't win at the collegiate level isn't generally highly sought after. I was surprised when teams wanted to interview him, but hiring him is a very high risk move.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Jets have now hired Adam Gase, the former Dolphins' head coach. I believe that just leaves Miami and Cincy still looking for coaches. I still think Hue Jackson is favored in Cincy. I don't know why they want him, but it seems like they do.

The Patriots' defensive play caller Brian Flores, or Cowboys defensive play caller Kris Richard are favorites for the Dolphins' job. I'd just as soon see Richard out of the NFC East, so here's hoping he gets the call.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

I am taking the Chiefs over the Colts-Andy Reid's experience along with PM and TK.

Add to that the home field, Chiefs win easily

Rams will beat Cowboys-This could be a high scoring game, and all opponents have home field advantage in LA (in any sport),  Rams D line will be the diff

I am still feeling Phillip Rivers for the SB, so I am going Chargers over Patriots.  Rivers said after yesterday's win, "we will just fly home, fly back east again and win another 10am start"  I agree

Brees will face Rivers in the SB, according to me, so I have to go Saints over Eagles (and you are welcome, @gardenman for my guy G Tate III)

Good Luck to all teams!!  

I'm going to agree w/you about the Chiefs...they're my hometown team and I LOVE Mahomes!!  I beieve the Patriots will win against the Chargers!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Well, this could be interesting. Kliff Kingsbury, the Cards new head coach, said in an interview in October that he would take Kyler Murray of Oklahoma with the first overall pick if he was picking. Surprise! He's now got the first overall pick. He's also got Josh Rosen, last years first round pick though. Does he try to trade Rosen and pick Murray? Does he keep Rosen and trade back letting a QB needy team jump up for a QB? (Most likely in my opinion.) These next few months in the NFL could be pretty fun to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And it's game day one of the division round of the playoffs. We start out with the Colts at the Chiefs. This is a game the Chiefs should win. They're the more talented of the two teams, with the more experienced coach, playing at home in a stadium with a real home field advantage. Andy typically has his teams playing well coming off a bye also. The one edge the Colts have is psychological. The Chiefs have been horrible in the playoffs lately. If the Colts can get ahead early and put some pressure on the Chiefs, they might just fold. That "We always lose in the playoffs" mantra can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The players and coaches decide "We're not losing this one" and they start to try too hard. Instead of playing their game they try to elevate their play and make mistakes. A DB will drop his coverage to try and steal a pick only to have the ball go to the guy he was supposed to be covering. A defensive lineman will jump out of his gap to try and make a play only to have the back run through the hole he vacated. It should be a fun game to watch. The Colts are loose and playing from a "What have we got to lose?" perspective while the mental pressure is really on the Chiefs. "We can't lose yet another playoff game!" 

I find myself in the awkward position of actually hoping the Cowboys win in the second game today against the Rams. The more they win, the lower their draft slot goes and if the Eagles win tomorrow and the Cowboys win today, there will be one heck of a rematch in Dallas next week for the NFC championship. Every Eagles player thinks the refs stole that last game in Dallas (and the NFC East title) from them. From that opening kickoff where the Cowboy player fumbled the ball, an Eagle recovered it, but the refs gave it back to the Cowboys anyway, to lots of other calls throughout the game, the Eagles felt the game was stolen. They'll go back into Dallas breathing fire next week given the chance. Can the Cowboys win in LA? Well, it'll be pretty much a home game for them. They have their training camp in nearby Oxnard, so there will be more Cowboy fans than Ram fans there. (All four of the Rams' fans may disagree, but I'm pretty sure that will be the case.) The Rams need to come out and punch the Cowboys in the mouth in this game. Be the more physical team.  Run Gurley over, under, and around the Cowboys. It should be a good game to watch.

In other news around the league, the interview with Steelers president Art Rooney II, makes it sound like there's no chance Antonio Brown stays a Steeler. He leaves the door open just a crack, but it's not a large crack. Instead, he's more pouring kerosene on the bridge and standing there with a lit match, ready to drop it and burn the bridge completely. That would leave the Steelers with two rather large holes to fill, losing both Brown and Bell. Losing two all pro caliber players and finding suitable replacements isn't all that easy.

The Bengals may not hire Hue Jackson as their head coach afterall. (Gee, I wonder why?) They seem to have now targeted the Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as their next head coach. They had an interview with him over the bye and apparently came away very impressed.

That would leave just the Dolphins still in the hunt for a new head coach. Mike McCarthy, who everyone assumed would be the top target this year, now apparently plans to sit out the year and wait for job openings next year. (I'm thinking the Cards might be looking for another new head coach this time next year, but maybe Kliff Kingsbury will surprise me.) Interesting how the interest in McCarthy petered out so quickly. Did he have bad interviews? Did word leak out from Green Bay about issues of some sort with him? His career record (135-85-2) is Hall of Fame worthy, yet with eight openings this year, he didn't land one. When Hue Jackson (career record 11-44-1) is considered a serious candidate and almost lands a job, but Mike McCarthy doesn't, something is screwy. It's not like he's old (he's 55) or his team has been horrible. Kliff Kingsbury who took over Texas Tech which had a twenty year winning streak and turned them into losers despite having three NFL caliber quarterbacks got a job for God's sake. Something's a bit screwy there. I'm guessing McCarthy has an "issue" of some sort that he needs to get taken care of, that the teams know about but the fans don't. Him not getting a job makes no sense otherwise. Then again lots of stuff that goes on in the league (see the Kliff Kingsbury hire for example) makes no sense, so who knows?

It should be a fun day of football watching. I'd love to see the Colts win to set up a game against the Patriots. Having Frank Reich knock the Patriots out of the playoffs after him only getting the job by them stealing McDaniels back from the Colts would be hilarious. Then a Cowboys/Eagles rematch (hopefully with less blind refs) for the NFC Championship would be fun also. Let's see how things play out and go from there. Go, Colts! Go, Cowboys! (It really pains me to write that, but I've got my reasons.) 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the Cowboys are going to win; I chose them in my weekly picks. 

I work tomorrow until 2:00 so I'll be home in time to see the game. It's better that I'm working because that will keep me occupied, and I won't stress about the game so much. 

The pressure is more on the Chiefs. The Colts weren't even expected to make the playoffs, and the Chiefs need a playoff win at home. Hilton is listed as questionable, but he'll play. It's mostly precautionary. Tyquon Lewis is doubtful, so I don't expect to see him on the field. The Chiefs' Eric Berry will most likely be out. 

The weather forecast in KC changes; some say snow, others say freezing rain. I don't know what to expect. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

can someone help me choose a defense for this week?

i cannot use them again once used, so i have to keep that in mind also.

i also have trouble choosing a tight end.