Respected Contributor

Re: Week Twelve of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

@Spurt wrote:

A THANK YOU FROM LION'S FANS!

One of the league's best trends is now occurring in Detroit, where Lions fans are giving to the charity of Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson as a thank you for his role in Thursday's win. Watson was near-flawless on Thanksgiving with a multi-score victory over Detroit that clinched the firing of head coach Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn.  Many fans donated $13 for Patricia's 13 wins against 29 losses.

The Lions cleaned house on Saturday.

Just like Bills fans giving to Andy Dalton's charity after the then-Bengals QB helped them reach the playoffs, and just like Bills fans (again) giving to Josh Allen's charity to honor his grandmother, now it's Lions fans.

@redwingsgal 

So did you contribute to this fund to get rid of Patricia and your GM?

Hilarious!

Alas, I am very sad over this news.  I do not think Matt was given enough time to develop his team in Dtown.  That being said, until the Ford family sells the team (possibly to the Red Wings and Tigers owners, the Illitch family) this will not end.

Rumor has it that Jim Harbaugh is being considered as his time in Ann Arbor is coming to an obvious end also!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

DeSean Jackson is still an Eagle, but he's on IR with a bad ankle. He won't be around next year though. (At least I don't think so.)

Jim Harbaugh would be an interesting hire for the Lions. I suspect multiple teams would want him despite his recent collegiate slip. He's a 'safe' hire for a team. He's a proven pro coach. Will he be special again? I don't know.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@redwingsgal wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

A THANK YOU FROM LION'S FANS!

One of the league's best trends is now occurring in Detroit, where Lions fans are giving to the charity of Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson as a thank you for his role in Thursday's win. Watson was near-flawless on Thanksgiving with a multi-score victory over Detroit that clinched the firing of head coach Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn.  Many fans donated $13 for Patricia's 13 wins against 29 losses.

The Lions cleaned house on Saturday.

Just like Bills fans giving to Andy Dalton's charity after the then-Bengals QB helped them reach the playoffs, and just like Bills fans (again) giving to Josh Allen's charity to honor his grandmother, now it's Lions fans.

@redwingsgal 

So did you contribute to this fund to get rid of Patricia and your GM?

Hilarious!

Alas, I am very sad over this news.  I do not think Matt was given enough time to develop his team in Dtown.  That being said, until the Ford family sells the team (possibly to the Red Wings and Tigers owners, the Illitch family) this will not end.

Rumor has it that Jim Harbaugh is being considered as his time in Ann Arbor is coming to an obvious end also!

@redwingsgal 

The Fords have always been known as one of the "cheap" NFL owners....dont want to spend a lot of money ... This is from an article in the Bleacher Report--

Since Ford bought the team, they have only won a single playoff game.  The lack of postseason and regular season success can be directly related to Ford's unwillingness to attempt to improve his team.  When was the last time that you can remember Detroit bringing in a big name free agent? Even if the Detroit Lions begin to resemble something of a successful franchise, it certainly won't because Ford opened up his checkbook to help the team. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Schedule update: the Ravens-Steelers game has been moved again to Wednesday, Dec. 2 at 3:40 p.m. NBC. 

Week 13: The Steelers-WFT will be moved to Monday, Dec. 7 at 5:00p.m. not sure what station will broadcast yet. 

Week 13: The Ravens-Cowboys game is moved to Tuesday Dec. 8 at 8:05 p.m. FOX, NFL Network. 

Ingram has been moved off the Covid list, but Lamar Jackson is still on the list.

I think I need a notebook to keep up with the changes. Imagine the fun the NFL schedule makers are having with this.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Schedule update: the Ravens-Steelers game has been moved again to Wednesday, Dec. 2 at 3:40 p.m. NBC. 

Week 13: The Steelers-WFT will be moved to Monday, Dec. 7 at 5:00p.m. not sure what station will broadcast yet. 

Week 13: The Ravens-Cowboys game is moved to Tuesday Dec. 8 at 8:05 p.m. FOX, NFL Network. 

Ingram has been moved off the Covid list, but Lamar Jackson is still on the list.

I think I need a notebook to keep up with the changes. Imagine the fun the NFL schedule makers are having with this.

@teganslaw 

Thanks for the update---

Oh of all the luck ..... Im supposed to go to a Christmas Party on Dec 7...its just a real small gathering of about 5 friends....  RATS! Woman Frustrated  I guess I'll try  Game Pass....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Not a great first half for the Eagles offense, but they did manage to eventually move the ball and get a touchdown. Wentz pretty much decided to take over and just run over the Seahawks defenders to get first downs. He's had about four or five passes dropped so far, so I don't really blame him. I don't think we'll win but we're only behind a touchdown, so we're in striking distance.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Well, that went about as expected. Way too many dropped passes. On a couple of occasions, Wentz and the receiver weren't on the same page. Especially on the interception in the endzone. Wentz was reading the middle linebacker in his throwing lane and led Goedert outside away from the linebacker while Goedert read the safety on the outside and turned inside. The result was the ball going right to the safety. I'm not sure who made the wrong read there, but it ended a promising drive. Ugh! 

So much for Jalen Hurts being a big part of the gameplan. He was in for all of two plays. The o-line wasn't improved with Jason Peters at guard. They really need to just cut him loose and move on to the kids. Peters is done. The same with Alshon Jeffery. Every snap he's taking is taking one away from the kid receivers. The good news is we're up to six in the draft order and could get as high as third.

DK Metcalf abused Darius Slay last night and Jim Schwartz, our defensive coordinator, played a role in that. He'd talked to Metcalf before the game and reminded Metcalf that Schwartz had coached Megatron in Detroit and told Metcalf that he wasn't at Megatron's level, so Metcalf played with a chip on his shoulder to prove Schwartz wrong. He did. 

All in all, a typical Eagles game in 2020. Dumb mistakes, bad play overall, no real life, Doug forgot we had a running game, Miles Sanders had all of six carries in the whole game. Just a typical 2020 Eagles game. This offense is broken. The offensive line can't protect Wentz. The receivers can't get open. When Wentz tries to throw them open, the receiver goes the wrong way. And we're still just a game out of first place.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt , NFL Game Pass is running a special right now, if interested. Games are available only after they've been played; you don't get live games. But it's worthwhile because you can watch games that you missed or aren't broadcast in your area. The subscription is through July 2021.

WR Will Fuller has been suspended 6 games for PED violations. He is DeShaun Watson's top receiver, so this is a break for the Colts. They still have two games to play with Houston, and his absence could be a factor. One of Houston's linemen has also been suspended, though don't recall who that is.

Doug Pederson has made a comment that he wouldn't mind being fired. I'm paraphrasing, but words to that effect. Is his job in trouble? The team has been playing badly, but they still have a chance to win the division, so maybe Pederson is still OK. For now.

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The jobs of everyone in the Eagles' organization are at risk. I think GM Howie Roseman may be at the most risk right now. He's had multiple bad drafts in a row. (In retrospect anyway.) The only Pro Bowl player he's drafted has been Carson Wentz.  He's had some bad free agent signings. Some bad contracts. (Extending Alshon Jeffery for example.) Doug might be a tad safer, but if you bring in a new GM he'll want "his guy" as the head coach.

There's been a disconnect between the head coaches and the front office for some time in Philly. Andy Reid wrested control away because he wasn't happy with the front office. Then Andy got fired. Chip Kelly had issues with the front office and wrested control away only to also get fired. I suspect Doug Pederson would love to have more control, but he'd then get fired.

I'm pretty sure Doug Pederson isn't happy with the front office. Reportedly all roster decisions come from Howie Roseman. Doug can't play who he wants to play, or even keep the players he wants to keep. Howie reportedly has the final say over the roster on a day to day and week to week basis.  

There's no real reason why Alshon Jeffery and Jason Peters are still on the roster and given playing time. Both are washed up and done. Pretty much everyone in the world sees it. The film doesn't lie. But both are still starting. Why? We have good kids who have shown they can play those positions. 

The coaches, by and large, aren't safe. Even with an idiot as GM who gives you ****** you should coach up the ****** to play as well as possible. On the offensive side anyway, we're not seeing that. Jeff Stoutland, the o-line coach has done a remarkable job. The rest of the offensive coaches have been kind of a big miss. Duce Staley hasn't been bad as running backs coach and offensive assistant. The wide receivers haven't developed. Would they have been better elsewhere? Did we draft the wrong guys or are we just horrible at using them? Wentz has regressed. 

Doug Pederson is an offensive coach but the offense is horrible right now. We see flashes from the players from time to time that tells you there's some talent there, but the flashes go out quickly. Miles Sanders is our best running back and last night he got six runs. SIx runs in a whole game for your best running back. Yeah, there might be a wee bit of an issue with the play calling. Who does the play calling? Doug Pederson. 

Doug may very well get his wish and get fired in the very near future. Howie Roseman may go out the door with him. Things are not working out in Philly right now and I'm not sure what the answer is. Keeping everything the same is probably not the answer. We've got some good, young talent coming up. Will that be enough to save Howie's job? Maybe. Maybe not. This is not a good football team right now. 

The big problem is in that grey stuff between the earholes. They aren't playing smart. They lack confidence. They lack boldness. They lack a plan. How do you unscramble the mindset of a team (players and coaches)? We're not doing anything to surprise an opponent. The playcalling is stagnant. Defenses are way too comfortable playing tight man coverage on every snap. We abandon the run game way too early in games. We're playing guys who are playing poorly and aren't part of the future (Peters and Jeffery) while promising kids ride the bench. It's just enough to kill you as a fan. 

"Our receivers can't beat man coverage." There are man beater routes though that can spring even the least effective receiver. You don't need three superstar receivers if you're running the right routes.

"We can't protect the QB." Then move him out of the pocket. (Just one planned pass from out of the pocket last night.) Use rollouts, and a moving pocket to make the defenders' job harder and protect your QB. Wentz is more effective on the move, why anchor him in the pocket? Also benching ineffective former great players like Peters who are clearly cooked is smart.

There are answers to every problem the Eagles have right now and they're not hard answers to find. Why aren't they doing the smart stuff? Stubbornness? Stupidity? Arrogance? I don't know. It's going to get people fired though and cost the fans a season that had great promise. There's enough talent on this roster to win. They've just got to use it. For whatever reason, they're sticking to whatever their plan is, and it's a bad plan. This is ugly. I get the feeling that the head coach is trying to get the GM fired and wouldn't mind being fired himself. It's just a mess. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe taking playcalling away from Pederson would help. If this continues, the Eagles could be in for a "house cleaning" after the season ends. 

Someone send a memo to Jim Schwartz: don't aggravate D.K. Metcalf!

The other Texan suspended is CB Bradley Roby. This is bad for Houston; Roby is one of their best defensive players. Things couldn't work out better for the Colts, though. TY Hilton is back; he got 81 yards against Tennessee, although that was overlooked because of the Titans' overall dominance. Hilton usually plays well against Houston. 

Mark Twain