Honored Contributor

Week Twelve of the 2018 NFL Regular Season!!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! It's desperation time in the old NFL. Lots of division games that could determine which teams make the playoffs are being played over the next few weeks as the NFL backloads the schedules with division games. Up first this week are our Thanksgiving day games!

The Bears take on the Lions in the early game. Mitchell Trubisky of the Bears has an iffy shoulder and the Bears typically play pretty well on Thanksgiving. Can they play well enough to beat the Bears who are on a four game winning streak and have one of the best defenses in the NFL? I think they just might. I'm taking the Lions in the upset.

Next up the second place Cowboys take on the NFC East leading Redskins who limp into the game badly beat up. The Redskins have learned the hard way that losing most of your starting offensive line to injuries tends to lead to the quarterback paying the price. With Alex Smith out for the year (and likely beyond, depending on his age, recovery and his contract) and Colt McCoy now taking the reins, no one knows what to expect. The Redskins defense hasn't been especially solid against the run and Ezekiel Elliott is running like a man possessed these days. Barring a huge day from Colt McCoy (playing behind the same beat up line that got his predecessor injured) the Cowboys should win this one pretty easily. I'm taking the Cowboys.

Our Thursday night game this week looked really good in the preseason, now, not so much. The Falcons take on New Orleans. The Falcons have lost two in a row to beatable teams while the Saints have won nine in a row and Drew Brees is playing his best football ever, making nearly impossible throws on a routine basis. This one could get ugly. Expect the Saints to score a lot and the Falcons to score a little. I'll take New Orleans big in this one.

On to the Sunday games. Oakland goes to Baltimore. Oakland won last week, so there's that, but that Baltimore defense is among the best in the league. Harbaugh is said to be gone from Baltimore after the season, but I'm thinking the Ravens get the win here. Expect Harbaugh to be highly sought after by other teams if he is let go.

Jacksonville goes to Buffalo. Both were playoff teams last year. Both are 3-7 now. Neither team can really blame injuries for their problems. Jacksonville opted to keep Bortles as their QB while the Bills opted to go with a kid and it hasn't worked out that well for either team. I'll take Buffalo since they're playing at home.

Seattle goes to Carolina in a game that could eventually matter in the wildcard hunt. Seattle's not as good on the road and a west coast team flying east for an early game is typically at a disadvantage. Cam Newton has played very, very well on occasion, and then not so well on others. I'm guessing Cam will play well again and Carolina will get the win.

Cleveland goes to Cincinnati. The Bengals have a few advantages in this game. They've cleverly added Hue Jackson, the former Browns head coach, to their staff. (Who some feel will be the replacement to Marvin Lewis after this season. I guess the Bengals feel they've been winning too many games and Hue can fix that. They signed him up before any other team desperate to lose more games could get him.) The Bengals defense isn't especially good, but the Browns offense is also bad. Who will win? I guess I'll take the Bengals.

The Patriots go to New Jersey to slaughter the Jets. The Jets are hoping Tom Brady gets food poisoning over the Thanksgiving weekend to give them an edge, but sadly even that likely won't be enough. I'll take the Patriots in this one. 

The Giants come to Philly in what's a must-win game for Philly. The good news is the Eagles have had the Giants' number in the last decade and nearly always win these games. The bad news is the Eagles are playing about as poorly as it's possible to play. Many are blaming the defense, which is having some lapses, but still have only given up 231 points. For comparison, the Rams have given up 282 and the Saints 239. The bigger issue is the offense. Our new offensive coordinator Mike Groh has been trying to run the exact same offense we ran last year. He's using the old, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" model. The problem is everyone in the league has had a year to see what we did last year and adjust and adapt. Therefore the offense is now broke, but he's not fixing it. Groh hasn't adapted to their adjustments. Groh's status with the fans hasn't been helped any by a recent press conference where he admitted not knowing how to use Golden Tate. Uh, Mike? You've got a fast, shifty wide receiver who's great running with the ball after the catch. Maybe, just maybe things lilke quick slants, quick out routes, sneak him loose out of the backfield, etc. might be a good idea. Despite all of the Eagles' problems (which I still blame on the Patriots taking back McDaniels from the Colts and letting them steal Frank Reich from us) I think the Eagles will find a way to win. It won't be pretty, but we'll eke out a win or the fans might just tear down the stadium. Having seventy thousand fans ready to kill the team if they don't play well is pretty good motivation. Go Eagles!

The Niners take on Tampa Bay in what some thought might be a playoff preview in the preseason. Yeah. Not so much now. Tampa's 3-7 and the Niners are 2-8. Tampa's quarterback roulette continues with Jameis Winston being forced to pay QB this week. Seriously? Is it that hard to pick one incompetent QB and stick with him? At least that way the fans can say, "Oh, if only the coach would play the backup!" Now they know there's no hope as both QB's are horrible. I'll take Tampa, simply because it's another west coast team coming east for an early game. 

The Cardinals take on the Chargers in what pretty much amounts to a bye week for the Chargers. I'll take the Chargers big in this one.

Miami goes to Indy in a game of two teams going in opposite directions. The Dolphins started out hot and have slipped while the Colts started out cold and are now playing very well. I've got the Colts winning this game. Likely easily. I think they might just grab a wildcard slot in the playoffs and be a very dangerous team in the playoffs also. (Curse you, Patriots! Had you let McDaniels go to the Colts we'd still have Frank Reich! Granted the Colts would probably be 2-8 if that had happened, so this worked out better for them, but worse for the Eagles.)

The Steelers take on Denver in Denver. About the only thing going for Denver here is the "in Denver" part. The Broncos will be spending the offseason once again looking for the next John Elway and likely settling for someone who's not. (I still think Nick Foles was their best option, but did they listen to me? No.) The Steelers will likely win this one pretty easily.

Green Bay goes to Minnesota in yet another game that looked better in the preseason. Green Bay is 4-5 while the Vikings are 5-4. Forget the Super Bowl hangover, there seems to be a general playoff hangover this year as last year's playoff teams are mostly hanging around the five hundred mark this season. I guess I'll take the Vikings, but with Aaron Rodgers on the field you can never count out the Packers.

And finally the Titans take on the Texans. The Texans are playing really good football these days. The Titans, not so much. Marcus Mariota is/might be dinged up for this game. (Not that that's news, he's always dinged up.) I'll take the Texans.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone, and may all of your teams win! (Unless they're playing the Eagles or it helps the Eagles more if they lose.) 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Twelve of the 2018 NFL Regular Season!!!

I think Atlanta-NO will be a high scoring, close game. I could even see Atlanta pulling an upset since it's a division game and Atlanta is desperate.

T Y Hilton had his best game last week against Tennessee (155 yards), and afterwards had to take a "random" drug test. He passed the test , but it doesn't seem so random to me. I know other players had to do the test after break out games, so it's not new. However, maybe the NFL should test Rams and Chiefs players after Monday night. Except for Todd Gurley;  despite the high scores, he didn't do much. 

The loss seems to have hurt Mahomes chances for MVP. Drew Brees is now the front runner, with Andrew Luck's name being mentioned. I think Brees deserves MVP, but Luck should definitely be Comeback Player. 

The Colts could be #6 seed, depending on results in the upcoming games. Right now Baltimore is above them. If, by chance, Tennessee bets Houston, it will get real interesting. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

Well it is the last week for byes ... Chiefs and Rams get Thanksgiving weekend off after their spectacular game this past Monday! 

Now for the picks! Good luck to all!

Thursday

12:30

BEARS over Lions ... Chicago is looking very good ... sorry @redwingsgal

4:30

COWBOYS over Redskins ... Think Colt McCoy will have a big game but Dak and Zeke are really clicking....sorry @Spurt

8:20

SAINTS over Falcons

Sunday

1:00

EAGLES over Giants ...Heard Malcolm Jenkins criticizing the team yesterday ... and last week Jason Kelce had very harsh words. This group is struggling. But I think they will somehow manage to pull out a victory. 

BILLS over Jaguars

PANTHERS over Seahawks

RAVENS over Raiders ... sorry @sunshine45 ... Woman Wink

49ERS over Bucs

BENGALS over Browns

NY JETS over NE

4:05

LA CHARGERS over Cardinals

4:25

BRONCOS over Steelers

COLTS over Dolphins ... Frank Reich is working his magic!!!

8:20

VIKINGS over Packers

Monday 8:15

TEXANS over Titans

Happy Thanksgiving!!!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My picks were pretty dismal much like the outcome of my sport's team games--Woman FrustratedWoman Sad-Lets see if I can do better this week

Da Bears vs Lions---Bears QB Trubisky is unlikely to play ---which opens the door for Chase Daniels---hasnt played in almost 4 yrs....But Da Bears still have Mack and their defense....and Lions RB is injured, With injuries its a real tossup---Ill go with Mack and DA BEARS for the WIN since they need a win to stay in control of the Division!! 

Redskins vs Cowboys--Well UT graduate Colt McCoy comes to Texas and takes over as QB, players seem to really like Colt, CB Dunbar, said he thought Colt would be starter when Kirk left!!! Redskins D limited Zeke last time out.....Cowboys are banged up too....and OL Zack Martin is one of the guys, TE Swaim is out....Im hoping and praying Santa will give me an early Christmas present and a REDSKIN WIN-HTTR!!!  Anything is possible remember the Leon Lett Cowboys/Miami game on Thanksgiving Woman LOL...... 

Falcons vs Saints---If the Falcons couldnt beat the Cowboys they wont beat the SAINTS.....The Saints march in for another WIN!

Raiders vs Ravens---Now there are reports of Jon Gruden and Carr going at it, the Raiders are a big mess.....Ravens rookie QB did well in his start last week---Going with the RAVENS and their D and more stable team....(sorry @sunshine45).....

Jaguars vs Bills--Both teams are a train wreck---taking Bills since they are at home!

Seahawks vs Panthers--Interesting game, both teams battling for possible wild card. Cam is so inconsistent--Carroll has Seahawks playing better than expected with all the changes on their roster, going with the SEAHAWKS for the "W".....

Browns vs Bengals--Battle of Ohio, Williams playing to keep Browns head coaching gig, but the Bengals are the better team---going with my cat Figgy's team ---felines will be Victorious BENGALS!

Patriots vs Jets--PATRIOTS!  Everyone is talking about the Saints, Rams, Chiefs....and leaving out the Patriots is not wise.....

Giants vs Eagles--All of a sudden this sleeping giant seems to have woken up winning two in a row---It's too late to make a shot at the Division, but curiously its bringing their draft position further down..........The Eagles arent playing well, and injuries have made the situation worse....Im going with the upset and taking the Giants and their running game.....GIANTS!!!

49ers vs Bucs--Lets compare QBS-49ers WIN!

Cardinals vs Chargers---Easy win for LA's forgotten team--the  Chargers!!!

Dolphins vs Colts---The Colts are red hot!, the only thing hot about Miami is the weather, but they are playing in Indy and indoors in a controlled climate.....Going with the COLTS!  Some are saying Reich's going for the win instead of a tie may have cost the Colts a playoff spot---we'll see....

Steelers vs Broncos--The Broncos surprised with a rare win last week----the Steelers have been on a roll for awhile--STEELERS!

Packers vs Vikings---Two teams with disappointing seasonLets see a future HOF QB is not happy with his coach and with the Packer orgañization....and the Viking's 84 mill dollar QB hasnt translated into wins....Rodgers needs some help....Ill go with the Vikings at home---SKOAL!!! 

Titans vs Texans--Going with JJ WATT and the TEXANS!

See the source image

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@Spurt HTTR and Santa does make wishes come true.

Honored Contributor

The NFC East just got a lot more compacted with the Cowboys winning. An Eagles win on Sunday would have the Eagles just a game back. That Redskins trade for Haha Clinton Dix isn't looking great as he blew coverage on two deep passes.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The standings now show that the playoffs would go through NO. The Saints would be #1 because they beat the Rams. Drew Brees didn't have a great game, but with all his weapons, no one can tell.

Anyone think Chicago could stop NO? I'm not sure and wouldn't bet on it. 

Washington's defense looked good, but those interceptions hurt. Analysts are praising the Cowboy's acquisiton of Amari Cooper. He had a monster game yesterday, and seems to be a better player with Dallas than Oakland. Trey Quinn had some nice dance moves. SPURT, where did Quinn come from-was he originally on the practice squad? 

This is a must win game for the Colts. Both they and Miami are in the hunt for a wildcard spot. I think it would be interesting if Tennessee manages to beat Houston. That will mix things up.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Saints are a very, very good team right now and likely unbeatable, but you never know. An injury to Drew Brees could derail things quickly for them. There's a psychological edge some teams get where they just know they'll win and they do. The Eagles had it last year, the Saints have it this year.

The Rams are in the same type of mental state. They think they can beat anyone and even the loss to the Saints can be overlooked. A play made here, or not made there was the difference in that game and the Rams can easily convince themselves that they'd win a rematch.

As to Amari Cooper, his stats look impressive, but he had help. On his two long touchdowns, the ninety yard one and the forty something yard one. It was Ha Ha Clinton Dix who badly misplayed him and let him get those runs after the catch. Cooper would have had about 120 fewer yards if Dix had played the position correctly making Cooper's day much less impressive. I'm not sure what Dix was doing on those plays, but as a safety your job is to prevent those kinds of runs after the catch and he more or less ran away from Cooper on each of those plays. Hey, it's great for Cooper as Jerry Jones is already talking about giving him a wheelbarrow full of cash, but Cooper had very little to do with those long scores. Competent safety play would have held him in check.

This is a really weird year with some very dominant teams in the Saints, Rams, and Chiefs. Some fairly dominant teams in the Chargers, Bears, Steelers, and Patriots. And a whole bunch of teams hanging out at that five hundred mark. Those very dominant teams will have to decide how they play out the rest of the year pretty soon as they lock playoff berths up. Do they keep playing the starters and risk injury? Do they bench starters and risk losing momentum? There is no really good answer and their staffs will be having nightmares trying to decide what to do.

For the teams around the five hundred mark, there's no decision to make. Play every game like it's a playoff game, because they pretty much are all playoff games.

The Cowboys beating the Redskins helped the Eagles a bit, but at last count our top five cornerbacks (and we only carried five to start the season) are all injured and unlikely to play. That means that three guys who weren't even on the roster in week seven will be the starting cornerbacks against Odell Beckham Junior. Sure, what could possibly go wrong there? This is another week where we need the offense to carry the load, but that just hasn't happened this year. Carson Wentz is playing well statistically, but the big plays just haven't shown up this year. Defenses adjusted to what we did last year and we're trying to do the same things this year only to find them not working. I'm hoping the Eagles wake up a bit and install some new stuff to take out the Giants this week. Then we face Washington after that. The Cowboys next face the Saints so they're likley to lose that game. If we can get a win against the Giants, then Washington, then we face the Cowboys, Rams, Texans and Redskins. It's not impossible for this team to win the NFC East and sneak into the playoffs, but it won't be easy. The Giants have started playing better football and the Redskins, despite being beat up rather badly, are still playing hard. (Except for Dix. I don't know what he's doing.) The Rams and Texans may both have their playoff spots locked up by the time we play them and be resting starters. It's going to be an interesting last few weeks of the season.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I live in Denver, die hard Steelers fan.  I think there will be more Steelers fans in the stands than Denver.  GO STEELERS!  TJ Watt it's open season on Keenam.  Keep the pressure on JJ for sacks.

Honored Contributor

Actually Tom Brady is listed as questionable for Sunday. Illness and a knee injury. I saw all the food he posted on Instagram that he was eating on Thanksgiving, maybe he did get sick. Turkey and lots of trimmings. I'm sure their chef made it for them. He said he didn't cook it but I already knew that.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"