Honored Contributor

Re: Week Three of the NFL Preseason!!!

@teganslaw wrote:

I didn't see this coming. Luck has had so many injuries and I think that the recent calf strain was the last resort. This is sad news to wake up to, but I can't blame him. It was a difficult decision for Luck to make since he loves football,  but he has his family to think about. He said that he was in a dark place mentally, and needed to do something about it. 

Brissett and Kelly are solid backups, but this changes the playoff scenario completely. Right now that isn't the highest consideration. I hope that he enjoys his life now. It was a fun ride watching him play, and I'll miss that. Judy Battista wrote that by retiring Luck stayed true to himself, and that point is right on the money. Farewell. 

@teganslaw 

It was a sad decision for Colt and NFL fans, but a good decision for Andrew and his future.  If he continues to wear out his body with football, he will be left unhealthy at an early age and thats not good for his family....  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

That AFC South certainly has a different look to it now. Luck's out of Indy. The Texans lost their primary runningback. The Jags and Titans just stepped forward a bit. The best QB in the south right now might be DeShaun Watson. Foles next, though he's hot and cold. Will Mariota finally show what he can do? Brissett's not a bad QB, but he's no Luck. Picking a winner down there is going to be a lot more challenging.

There was lots of talk that the Texan were moving Clowney to get a top notch wide receiver (Stills from the Dolphins, but some were also mentioning Alshon Jeffery from the Eagles.) Do they switch plans now and look for a starting runningback for Clowney? Maybe both? 

That week one schedule for all the AFC South teams is a bit daunting. The Titans face the Browns in Cleveland. A probable Browns win. The Chiefs are at the Jags. A probable Chiefs win. The Colts are at the Chargers. A probable Chargers win. And the Texans are at the Saints. A probable Saints win. I suspect the AFC South will get off to an 0-4 start in week one. If one team can pull off the upset (Jags at home?) they could get an early leg up.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I was shocked, but I bet he doesn't stay retired. He's had a bad streak of injuries, but let him get healthy and feel good for a year or so and chances are he'll get back behind center again. He's just turning thirty in September, I suspect he'll be back playing by the time he's 33 or 34. It's not an easy sport to walk away from. Right now his mind is messed up, but give him a couple of years and he's likely to be back playing for someone.

@gardenman 

I dont think Andrew will come back, he will get his sense of a NFL season by being hired by one of the networks as an analyst.....so football without the bodily wear and tear.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

I was shocked, but I bet he doesn't stay retired. He's had a bad streak of injuries, but let him get healthy and feel good for a year or so and chances are he'll get back behind center again. He's just turning thirty in September, I suspect he'll be back playing by the time he's 33 or 34. It's not an easy sport to walk away from. Right now his mind is messed up, but give him a couple of years and he's likely to be back playing for someone.

@gardenman 

I dont think Andrew will come back, he will get his sense of a NFL season by being hired by one of the networks as an analyst.....so football without the bodily wear and tear.....

Look at Witten though. He came back. I think if the right situation presented itself he'd come back. There's nothing quite like the camaraderie of being on a team. Right now he's in a bad place mentally, but that can all change. Eternal rehab is no fun, but winning football games is a lot of fun. I don't think he'll be back this year and maybe not next year, but I suspect he'll be back. He's still young by NFL quarterback standards and we've got some teams with older QB's who'll be heading out to pasture soon. They're likely to offer him a chance to come back and he'll likely take it. His shoulder first started bothering him in 2016 (I believe), so he's been rehabbing for three years now. Let him get and stay healthy for a couple of years and see where his head is. I think he'll be back. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

While this is really upsetting I think the colts can still win the South with JB. Every AFC South team has issues. The Texans have no oline and are getting ready to deal Closney. The titans have no QB and the left tackle is suspended four games. The jags upgraded the QB but foles has no Weapons. Brissett has a ****** ton of weapons and a pretty good defense around him.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Two games down, two to go. This would typically be the dress rehearsal game for NFL teams, but many, maybe most teams are being more conservative this year and not playing their presumed starters much, if at all. The Eagles have two practices with the Ravens this week, one on Monday and another on Tuesday that they're planning to use as a dress rehearsal of sorts. I don't think we'll see the majority of the Eagles starters until week one of the regular season.

Who will play at quarterback for the Eagles this week? Good question. Josh McCown will likely get a few snaps, but most of the work will likely fall to Clayton Thorson, our sole surviving backup QB besides the newly signed McCown. I don't think Doug Pederson will risk Carson Wentz just yet. Losing two quarterbacks to injury in two weeks has him more cautious than normal right now. 

It's going to be interesting to see what the Eagles do with QB's on cutdown day. If Thorson keeps playing well, he may earn a roster spot. But then you'd have Wentz, Thorson, Sudfeld and McCown all on the roster. Sudfeld and McCown are just on one year deals, so they're somewhat expendable. With Sudfeld having the broken left wrist. I'm thinking he may end up on the IR list to start the season. We'll have to see how that all plays out down the road.

A trade towards the end of camp is always possible also.

Lots of chaos going around the league. Antonio Brown is throwing a hissy fit. The Cowboys seem to be forcing a divorce with Ezekiel Elliott. Trent Williams is seeking a divorce from the Redskins. Jadeveon Clowney is likely leaving the Texans. Lots of teams have $20 million plus in cap space which lets moves happen. Things are going to get interesting as those final rosters shape up,.

@gardenman 

If the Texans are still looking for a WR and not just a RB, rumor has it that the Redskin's Doctson may not make the roster and  the team might be looking to trade him...... It's a little telling that Gruden has mentioned and given kudos to Harmons, Sim, and Quick, however, when it came to Doctson Gruden only said with Richardson and Quinn held out with minor injuries, "we had to be running him (Doctson) out there with the ones"........Doesn't sound good for Doctson.....

Keenum has been named the official starter for game 1 against the Eagles, Haskins as backup, no real surprise there.  And Haskins will start the last preseason game against the Ravens, but haven't decided how much he will actually play.....

Kudos by the media to rookie LG Wes Martin....although still experiencing his learning curve as expected, he's made some nice plays ...stays on his man, finishes his blocks,  nice footwork, seems to excel in passing game....Good news and that could mean bye bye Flowers....who some say has played "sluggish" at guard.....but who knows they might keep him for depth....stay tuned....

Esteemed Contributor

Reactions on the Colts forum are mixed. Some understand Luck's decision, wish him well. Others are mad, thinking that he's soft and deserted the team. That's a bit much IMO; no one knows for sure what Luck has been going through. It's easy to judge when one is behind a computer instead of playing on the field, getting hit all the time. 

Luck could have owed the Colts 12 million of his signing bonus and paycheck, but Irsay told him to keep the money. He must feel some loyalty and maybe feels  bad because the team didn't protect Luck very well at first. Besides, Irsay doesn't need the money. 

I don't know about Luck returning to football. If he can get healthy in a year or so, it's possible. Time will tell. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Who's the starting left offensive tackle for the Redskins? I know a few weeks ago Flowers was the starter but he wasn't looking good. Whoever it is will have a handful with that Eagles front four in week one.

I could see the Redskins pooling Peterson, Trent Williams and Doctson for Clowney. Adrian Peterson will likely see fewer carries with Guice being back and might not be happy. Trent Williams would fill a huge need for the Texans. Doctson might do better someplace else.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Who's the starting left offensive tackle for the Redskins? I know a few weeks ago Flowers was the starter but he wasn't looking good. Whoever it is will have a handful with that Eagles front four in week one.

I could see the Redskins pooling Peterson, Trent Williams and Doctson for Clowney. Adrian Peterson will likely see fewer carries with Guice being back and might not be happy. Trent Williams would fill a huge need for the Texans. Doctson might do better someplace else.

@gardenman 

It's Donald Penn at left tackle....unless a miracle happens and Trent returns.....