Honored Contributor

Re: Week Three of the NFL Preseason!!!

@teganslaw 

I don't mind Erin Andrews on DWTS, but I think the show has just run out of steam. The judges have become characters more than judges. The fan voting needs to be tweaked a bit also. Maybe even eliminate the fan voting completely.

Perhaps give the judges a different judging formula also. Rather than a single score maybe a combination of scores. One for level of improvement, one for quality of performance, and one for level of dance. Someone with obviously no dancing talent or ability might start out as a level one dancer and then move them up the levels as they improve, if they improve. Combine their dance level with the quality of their performance in some manner.

I mostly watch now to see my favorite pro dancers (Lindsay Arnold, Witney Carson, Cheryl Burke) and can't even remeber the last time I voted for anyone.

The Colts are smart with Andrew Luck and his bad calf. Wait until it's one hundred percent right before you let him on the field again. I suspect the Cowboys will do the same with Amari Cooper. Those calf/heel injuries tend to grow into torn Achilles tendons given the chance. Let them get back to a hundred percent before you start stressing them.

I kind of think the Jets with our former player personnel guy in Joe Douglas as GM and the Colts with the Frank Reich connection, will both be looking to pick up some Eagles castoffs, either in trades or as cut players. Both guys have a good feel for the talent in Philly and both teams have holes where the Eagles have depth. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw  @gardenman 

I don't mind Erin Andrews on DWTS, I like her MUCH better than Brooke Charvet...I think Len is judging the contestants based on real ballroom judging criteria when these contestants are not professionals...I think he's also softened his comments a bit....

I watch for Gleb and Val and the NFL contestants Smiley Wink   And I think Lindsay, Witney, and Sharna are the best teachers....All the young girls I know love Alan....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Running back Derrius Guice, making his preseason debut after tearing his ACL last summer, will be one to watch tonight. The big key for Guice is cutting with confidence on his leg. One nugget: At a recent practice, Guice made a sharp cut and looked back at running backs coach Randy Jordan with a look that said, "Did you see that!?" It's all part of the process of coming back from a difficult injury. The more Guice can cut on his knee with confidence, the better off the Redskins will be offensively.

I will be holding my breath that everyone remains healthy and no one gets hurt in this game! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

1. The Eagles are going to use some starters in tonight's game afterall. Wentz won't play, but many of the other starters will.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

REDSKINS WIN!!!---YAY!!! The victory was courtesy thanks to two muffed punts by the Falcons and thanks to our brilliant Field Goal kicker--- 😄

RB Guice had a nice game ---good to see !

Keenum was OK.......but also had his share of mistakes one of which was a fumble....

Haskins kept throwing the ball to Sims, Sims, Sims...with mixed results....he did have a few nice throws and did get into a rhythm but also some overthrown passes too.....

And TE Reed was being evaluated for a concussion and did not return...SMH!!!  

The defense played well....especially the tackling...

Honored Contributor

Well, what do you know? The Eagles can play a game and not lose a quarterback to injury! Who knew? Cody Kessler started the game and likely showed why he'll be getting cut soon. He was quite unimpressive. Josh McCown on the other hand, with just four days of experience in the Eagles offense played very, very well. JJ Arcega-Whiteside emerged from his rookie slump to play well last night. He'd played very well in the OTA's then regressed a bit when things got more physical, but was back to form last night. JJ will be handful for defensive backs. He had one Raven defender absolutely turning in circles last night trying to match up to him. The defender held him twice on one route as JJ kept getting him flat footed and off balance and all the defender could do was grab him and hold on.

In week four only the deep, deep reserves will play, so there should be no more significant injuries heading into week one of the regular season. The walking wounded will have some time to heal and the Eagles should be pretty much at full strength heading into that first week of the regular season. Even practices at this point wind down to a more typical practice week where injuries are less common.

Jordan Mailata, our Australian Rugby player/right tackle had his worst game of the preseason last night, but still wasn't bad. He tried to hand off a stunting defensive end to Wisniewski at guard, but Wis was slow to pick up the guy and therefore Mailata had to ride his guy a bit more before moving to pick up the stunting defensive tackle and both defensive linemen got through to the QB. Mailata knew what to do, but the timing between him and Wisniewski was off. I think Mailata has absolutely made the team and might be starting in the league in the near future. Wisniewski has likely played his way off the roster. 

Our top three running backs were all kept on the bench last night to let the lower roster guys fight it out for a roster spot. Some of the starters played a series or two, but then were pulled and bubble wrapped on the sideline to keep them safe. All in all the preseason has gone pretty well. I'd have preferred Nate Sudfeld didn't break his wrist, but those things happen. Josh McCown looks ready to go if need be though. Here's an interesting tidbit about Mccown, he's never played in the same offense two years in a row. In eighteen years in the league, he's played in eighteen different offenses. That is not the formula to make a successful quarterback. Continuity is what QB's need and a guy like him has just never been given that chance.

One more absolutely meaningless game then on to the regular season.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@ SPURT, maybe it would be best if Jordan Reed retired, although not sure you want to hear that. He is injured too often and seems to spend more time on IR or concussion protocal than on the field. As good as he is, a body can only take so much.

It's good that Guice has returned; he'll help Washington's offense tremendously. 

The Eagles might have to keep Kessler just in case. He did have some good games (one of them against the Colts while in Jacksonville) , and it's only preseason, so maybe he'll have a chance to improve. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

The Eagles have a healthy (for now anyway) Wentz as the starter, Josh McCown as the backup, Nate Sudfeld likely back from his broken wrist around week three, and rookie Clayton Thorson. All of whom have played better than Cody Kessler so far. Given Kessler's performance, I think he's a guy you can let go and he'll still be available weeks/months from now if the need arises. Maybe the Panthers would snatch him up depending on Cam Newton's injured foot status, but I just don't see Cody being most teams' first choice given his performance overall. Some of the local writers thought he might get cut coming out of the OTA's.

With Sudfeld likely back before the end of September and McCown being generally sturdy in his playing years, I suspect the Eagles will be setting Kessler free. They may try sneaking Thorson through waivers and then putting him on the practice squad, but a desperate team might snatch him if they try that. He's shown some potential and some teams reportedly had him as a likely third round pick, so getting him to the practice squad could be tricky.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@ SPURT, maybe it would be best if Jordan Reed retired, although not sure you want to hear that. He is injured too often and seems to spend more time on IR or concussion protocal than on the field. As good as he is, a body can only take so much.

It's good that Guice has returned; he'll help Washington's offense tremendously. 

The Eagles might have to keep Kessler just in case. He did have some good games (one of them against the Colts while in Jacksonville) , and it's only preseason, so maybe he'll have a chance to improve. 

@teganslaw 

ITA, Jordan Reed is talented but he just cannot stay HEALTHY!!!  I thought they should have cut him and drafted a decent TE ....

Respected Contributor

Lions host the Bills tonight on CBS, I do hope they play some starters, just to make the game interesting.  I would like to see the TE TJ Hockenson play some tonight.  

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it