Honored Contributor

Re: Week Three of the NFL Playoffs! The Conference Round!

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Dang! Macy's has figured out Wentz is still going to be here and has cancelled my jersey order saying it's been discontinued. Sure it's been discontinued. I believe that. Uh, no. Do they really expect me to believe that? They just realized they can still sell them at full price. Oh well. I won't be doing business with Macy's again. That's very tacky on their part. 

@gardenman 

That's downright crazy and unfair!!!!!!  It sure sounds looks like someone made a mistake and Macy's caught the fact they'd be losing LOTS of money.....

One time I shopped in their store and bought a blouse and they were reluctant to put my purchase in a bag, they tried to convince me to put the blouse in a bag from another store where I had made a purchase..... I told her NO I WANT A BAG....SMH!!!  She grudgingly put it in a Macy's bag.... I dont know if they were short on bags or what...it was just a bit odd....Personally, I prefer shopping in Dillards over Macys......... 

The timing is a bit suspect. I ordered it on the 14th and it was "in stock." Now, eight days later on the 22nd, after the Eagles hire a new coach and plan to keep Wentz they say, "Unfortunately, the item(s) listed below are discontinued and were removed from your order. Don't worry, you weren't charged for the items." So, Nike is no longer making Carson Wentz jersey's? That's interesting. I'm kind of betting that if Wentz is still on the team come June/July, those jerseys will magically reappear on Macy's site at full price again. Whatever. It was a very good deal, but not something I absolutely had to have.

All of the QB's jerseys with questionable futures were on sale at that time. I wonder how many others were "discontinued". They did give me yet another of their 25% off coupons with the same list of exceptions as before, so that's largely useless. They're not a great company to do business with.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Texans are seriously considering promoting Josh McCown from backup QB to head coach. That's kind of a big jump for a guy. It would be unprecedented as far as I know. Josh is a great guy and really smart, but the Texans have had since October to research and pick a new coach and if they promote Josh to the job, it's, well, interesting. Maybe they think he could convince DeShaun Watson to stay on the team? I don't know. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

ravens hired ROB RYAN as their new inside linebackers coach.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The Ryan boys are good coaches when it comes to defense. As to head coaches, well, that's another story. Your defense has to be an attacking style of defense for them to excel. Attacking on defense is the Ryan family philosophy. Get after the quarterback and force his hand. Don't give him time to think. You can take pretty much any QB in the league and if you just let him sit back there and take all day, he'll pick you apart. Put pressure on him though and even the great ones start to look mortal. An inside linebacker coach is a perfect fit for a Ryan. The inside linebackers tend to play downhill towards the QB/RB and just lower their heads and go.

No official announcement/press conference from the Eagles yet on Nick Sirianni. The team website doesn't mention him. Everyone says he's the new Eagles coach, but the silence is going on a bit longer than anticipated. Maybe they're waiting until Monday or Tuesday after the Conference championships to make it official? Maybe he's signing his assistant coaches? I don't know. The silence is kind of interesting though. Those Josh McDaniel vibes from the Colts are starting to look familiar.

Reportedly the Bears want to sign Duce Staley away from the Eagles. They're without a running backs coach right now and that's Duce's area of expertise. He's still under contract with the Eagles so there would have to be some sort of an agreement worked out. Duce has been around most of the Bears offensive coaches so they know who he is and how he coaches and they want him on their staff. He's officially the assistant head coach in Philly, but got passed over for the head coach role, so he might be more than happy to leave. The Eagles could block him going though as the job of running backs coach would be a downgrade over his current title. Forcing a coach to stay who doesn't want to be there is typically a very bad idea. We'll have to see what happens there. 

Patrick Mahomes has cleared the concussion protocols. (Truth be told he'd have likely played if his arm was falling off.) The players figured out very early on how to game the cognitive testing to make it easier to pass should they be concussed, so if a player truly wants to play, they'll more often than not pass the test. They're given a baseline cognitive test in the preseason and the players know to play a bit dumb and slow on that test so it'll be easier to pass if they do have a concussion down the road. If they truly want to play they'll down a bit of caffeine before taking the test while concussed for a bit of a mental edge and focus much more than they did on taking the baseline test. You can have a guy who's not truly ready, playing anyway despite still being a bit concussed. "He did better than he did on his baseline testing, so he's good to go." Yeah. Not always.

Just fifteen days until the Super Bowl! I'd love to see the Bills finally win the Super Bowl. It'll be tough getting past KC though. If you were scripting the Super Bowl you'd have the Bills needing a last-second field goal. The kick is up, going right, and it just sneaks in for the game-winner. Put that "wide right" curse to rest once and for all. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I noticed that everyone is saying Siranni is the Eagles' HC, but there hasn't been an official announcement from the team. Some reason there isn't?

Patrick Mahomes seems to be the type who would take shortcuts in the concussion protocol just so he could play. He might not be 100%, but he says he's ready, so the team goes along with it. He's not the only player who would try to play hurt, though. Maybe he is 100%; we'll find out how well he does Sunday. BTW, maybe he wants to play so he can prove he's worth the high  salary. Woman Very Happy

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 

So will Rob have his white flowing hair in Baltimore?  Or does Harbaugh have a grooming code for coaches.....😉  What I thought was interesting about the Raven's Mike McDonald left to become Michigan's DC....and Michigan is where John Harbaugh's brother coaches....So his brother Jim "stole" his coach.....😄

@gardenman 

Some teams are just cursed:

The Browns --- I think that Brownie that used to be their mascot put a curse on them......

My Redskins/WFT--- QBS with leg injuries.....and some say a Native American curse.....

The Bills ----  so many trips to the Super Bowl ...(4) but no wins..... I'd really like to see them win this one!!! 

Jets---Now this one seems totally self inflicted ...... ....Of course the rest of us are cursed being constantly bombarded with Joe Namath in that Medicare commerciallll

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

Yeah, it's making me a bit nervous that they aren't saying anything officially. The official team website has nothing about him, He's done no local interviews that I'm aware of. Everyone says he's the new coach, but is he?

They haven't denied he's the new coach, so there's that. A lot of the local sports media is out of town covering the Senior Bowl and Conference Championship games this weekend. Maybe they're waiting for those guys/gals to get back before formally announcing it? We'll have to see what happens. It's the worst kept secret in the history of sports if he is the new head coach.

A simple statement by the owner on the official team website would be kind of nice to see. They could hold off on an introductory press conference until the local reporters are back if they wanted to do that. 

After the Josh McDaniels incident in Indy, I don't truly trust anyone these days. Could he be pulling a Josh McDaniels on the Eagles? I guess so. We'll have to see what happens. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Rob Ryan...Really? in their day, they may have been good defensive coaches...BUT

I dont think either rex or rob have the capability to learn new schemes...They go to the same old well

With all the young new approaches to defense and offensive plays, Rob will be left behind..

Basically, a Team Philisophy should be structured to use the strenghts of their players...Ryans give you their schemes, you have to play them...

Big Difference

I speak from experience of living thru Rex Ryan in Buffalo.....awful

Honored Contributor

Some teams are just cursed:

The Browns --- I think that Brownie that used to be their mascot put a curse on them......

My Redskins/WFT--- QBS with leg injuries.....and some say a Native American curse.....

The Bills ----  so many trips to the Super Bowl ...(4) but no wins..... I'd really like to see them win this one!!! 

Jets---Now this one seems totally self inflicted ...... ....Of course the rest of us are cursed being constantly bombarded with Joe Namath in that Medicare commerciallll

@Spurt 

Yeah, some teams have "issues." The Browns seem to have shaken off their recent curse history. They're back to being a pretty good team right now. They've got some good players and a good coach. Two key ingredients for breaking a curse.

The Theismann/Smith leg injuries are a bit goofy. That's a pretty rare injury by NFL standards and to have it happen twice to the same team at the same position is really odd. 

The Bills have finally found a really good QB and that seems to have lifted the curse. (Finding a good young QB seems to be the solution to most NFL curses.) Making the Super Bowl four times in a row is nearly impossible. Losing all four times is unprecedented. I'd love to see the Bills break that curse.

The Jets have yet to find that curse-breaking young QB. They keep trying though. Chances are they'll try again this year. That's a tough market though. Lots of distractions for a kid fresh out of college. A brutal media that seems to feed on and encourage failure. Robert Saleh strikes me as a head coach who will handle the NY media. Perhaps by strangling a few of them to send a message. He doesn't seem like the kind to back down from a fight. It should be interesting watching him and them. Saleh strikes me as the type who would rip the head off an occasional media member and then leave the decaying head stuck atop a mic stand as a reminder to the rest. (There was no way Lurie/Roseman would hire him.)

If the Bills make the Super Bowl, I'll feel sorry for their kicker. He'll be hearing about "wide right" nonstop for two weeks in every event, media session, etc. If the game comes down to him making a kick, he won't miss wide right. He may miss so far to the left that it's in another county, but he won't miss wide right. 

Talk of a curse can get in a player's head. The Saints are getting there these days with their playoff exits. Every year they find new and creative ways to get eliminated. The Minneapolis Miracle. The missed pass interference call. Drew "I never throw interceptions" Brees throwing three interceptions in a game. After a while players who have been through that start getting nervous as the game goes on looking for the curse to rear its head once more. Just getting to the playoffs will take something of a miracle for them next year. They've got a very interesting offseason ahead of them.

I think all of my old Eagles gear is now officially cursed. I kept trying different combos to break the curse, to no avail. Even trying to get a new jersey turned out to be cursed. Oh well, I'll add some new stuff by the fall and hopefully, none of it will be cursed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt 

The Jets have yet to find that curse-breaking young QB. They keep trying though. Chances are they'll try again this year. That's a tough market though. Lots of distractions for a kid fresh out of college. A brutal media that seems to feed on and encourage failure. Robert Saleh strikes me as a head coach who will handle the NY media. Perhaps by strangling a few of them to send a message. He doesn't seem like the kind to back down from a fight. It should be interesting watching him and them. Saleh strikes me as the type who would rip the head off an occasional media member and then leave the decaying head stuck atop a mic stand as a reminder to the rest. (There was no way Lurie/Roseman would hire him.)

Talk of a curse can get in a player's head. The Saints are getting there these days with their playoff exits. Every year they find new and creative ways to get eliminated. The Minneapolis Miracle. The missed pass interference call. Drew "I never throw interceptions" Brees throwing three interceptions in a game. After a while players who have been through that start getting nervous as the game goes on looking for the curse to rear its head once more. Just getting to the playoffs will take something of a miracle for them next year. They've got a very interesting offseason ahead of them.

I think all of my old Eagles gear is now officially cursed. I kept trying different combos to break the curse, to no avail. Even trying to get a new jersey turned out to be cursed. Oh well, I'll add some new stuff by the fall and hopefully, none of it will be cursed.

@gardenman 

Wow your Saleh press conference 😎 was a bit graphic...🤣🤣🤣 but just what some of the arrogant NY media really needs.....😄

I agree, It looks like the Browns may be on their way to breaking their curse...fingers crossed for next year....I want them to succeed.....

I heard about the history of New Orleans Voodoo....okay which Saint's player made them mad?!?!?!?!?!

Your Eagles jersey's may be cursed ....but hey look at my dilemma....what do I do with all my Redskin t-shirts...and I refuse to relinquish my Art Monk Redskin jersey.....🤔

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”