Honored Contributor

Re: Week Three of the NFL Playoffs! The Conference Round!

The Colts draft 21st, so the top-tier guys will be long gone by then. They could be looking at the fifth or sixth best QB by then depending on how the draft goes. The list of free agent QBs is long, but not overly inspiring. And there will be lots of competition for them with multiple teams needing a new QB. 

The price tag for a trade is going to be high also. DeShaun Watson has the "For Sale" sign on him but the Texans would likely not trade him to an AFC South rival. (The Eagles did trade McNabb to the Redskins though, so you never know.) The Eagles seem to be telling aspiring coaches that Wentz is still their QB one, so unless they're lying to them, he'll be off the market. If the Eagles keep Wentz they could look to move Jalen Hurts, but it would take a good package of picks for them to be willing to move him.

It's not a great year to be in the QB market. Do you gamble on an Andy Dalton who played okay for the Cowboys down the stretch? He'd likely want a three to five-year deal, but does he have three to five years left?

Part of the reason to give Nate Sudfeld some playing time was so he could improve his status as a free agent. Sadly, that may have backfired. He may have hurt his value. It's not a great year to be QB shopping.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

I thought everything was set for Josh McDaniels to be the Eagles' HC, but the team is interviewing Colts OC, Nick Sirianni today for the job. Maybe this is a back up plan in case McDaniels bolts on them. His past shows that he might not be trusted. Stay posted for further updates. 

The Eagles are interviewing everyone in the world for the job. Cowboys Special Teams coach is now to be interviewed along with multiple other guys. It's an interesting search. The good news is there's no real time limit. The only other opening is in Houston and that's not a great place right now. They've hung the "For Sale" sign on DeShaun Watson, so whoever gets that job gets a team without a QB.

Right now, as I tap this out on my tablet, Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore is being interviewed. There are multiple more people lining up for interviews also.

I'm starting to get the feeling they don't know what they want for a coach and are just hoping a miracle happens.

@gardenman 

Hey GARDENMAN, there's a good high school coach here, Judson Rocket Coach, Rodney Williams, maybe the Eagles should add them to their list...what the heck is your team doing?!?!?!?!....SMH!!!! I guess they believe in the old adage "never leave a stone unturned".....maybe a coach will be hired AFTER THE DRAFT since that looks like when all their interviews will be completed.....🤔

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Philip Rivers is retiring after 17 years in the NFL. I'm not surprised, but I was hoping that he would stay another year.  He had a good year with the Colts and helped to take them to the playoffs. Add that to his resume. Wishing him well in retirement. 

The off season is going to be interesting. No idea if the Colts will sign a free agent, draft another QB, resign Brissett, move Eason up, many possibilities. Stay tuned 

@teganslaw 

I hate to see Philip Rivers retire....I enjoyed watching him play and love his passion for the game and personality....maybe he can get a job in broadcasting, I think he would be fun and interesting to hear......besides he will probably want a way to escape a little bit from all those kids he has to get some peace and quiet...😄 Wishing him a happy retirement!

It will be interesting to see what the Colts do at the QB position....Here's a nightmare suggested by a fan that will keep you up at night----With the Cowboys likely to sign Dak to a new contract, someone predicted that the Colts would work out a trade to get Dalton....😮😫😝...I hope and pray this doesn't happen to the Colts and their fans---- y'all deserve better....Others have suggested @gardenman 's  Wentz......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw @jeanlake @mspatmac  @AuntG 

@kaydee50    @Big Joanie 

Count me in on wanting to see a Bills/Packers Super Bowl! . 

Bucs/Packers---  I am still not sold on the Buc's offense, they still seem to be struggling a bit, it was Bree's and his interceptions that helped them score......Meanwhile it looks like Aaron and the Packers are hitting their stride and playing well on both offense and defense. And playing at home in front of mandated limited but LOUD fans will help too, and the weather forecast is 50 % chance of snow showers ....I'm taking the PACKERS!

Bills/Chiefs--- There have been weaknesses exposed in the Chiefs this season and the big question, as we all know, is will Mahomes pass concussion protocol in time for the game???? Will it be "Hennethingcanhappen" and can he pull out a win if Mahomes can't go?????  While the Bills are solid on both sides of the line, they have had problems getting into the end zone....Nonetheless, I am going with sentimental favorite and THE BILLS for the win! 

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

I thought everything was set for Josh McDaniels to be the Eagles' HC, but the team is interviewing Colts OC, Nick Sirianni today for the job. Maybe this is a back up plan in case McDaniels bolts on them. His past shows that he might not be trusted. Stay posted for further updates. 

The Eagles are interviewing everyone in the world for the job. Cowboys Special Teams coach is now to be interviewed along with multiple other guys. It's an interesting search. The good news is there's no real time limit. The only other opening is in Houston and that's not a great place right now. They've hung the "For Sale" sign on DeShaun Watson, so whoever gets that job gets a team without a QB.

Right now, as I tap this out on my tablet, Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore is being interviewed. There are multiple more people lining up for interviews also.

I'm starting to get the feeling they don't know what they want for a coach and are just hoping a miracle happens.

Didn’t they also interview Patriots Jared Mayo as well?

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

Didn’t they also interview Patriots Jared Mayo as well?

Oh, yeah. They're interviewing Dennis Allen today. John Fassel is queued up. There are more to come also. It's somewhere around forty to fifty people who have been interviewed. They're being very thorough, but perhaps a bit unfocused. Offensive coaches, defensive coaches, special teams coaches, pro coaches, college coaches, young coaches, old coaches, you name it, the Eagles have interviewed it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Philip Rivers is retiring after 17 years in the NFL. I'm not surprised, but I was hoping that he would stay another year.  He had a good year with the Colts and helped to take them to the playoffs. Add that to his resume. Wishing him well in retirement. 

The off season is going to be interesting. No idea if the Colts will sign a free agent, draft another QB, resign Brissett, move Eason up, many possibilities. Stay tuned 

Smiley Surprised i am shocked actually! i really thought he would hang around for a few more years. 39 now doesnt seem like an age that a qb retires......especially if he still feels healthy.

looks like he will be a high school football coach. wishing him peace and happiness as he begins the new phase of his life.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

As the Eagles coaching search continues to meander its way through the league, we've heard that several coaches have been offered the job, but have refused it after meeting with Lurie and Roseman. Not an especially great omen. 

The belief among the members of the media is that it'll be Duce Staley, Nick Sirianni, or Josh McDaniels, though the Josh McDaniels talk seems to be quieting down. Nick Sirianni seems to be the hot guy now. Word is they're not comfortable with the Duce Staley/Carson Wentz relationship and fear Duce may not help repair Wentz, but further damage him. They think Sirianni can bring the Frank Reich magic touch and rebuild the Eagles. He met with the execs on Tuesday and they held him over for more chats on Wednesday.

Patrick Mahomes is making progress and took all of the snaps in the Wednesday walkthrough which implies rather strongly that the Chiefs think he'll be able to play. If they had any concerns they'd have split the reps between him and his backup. They didn't, so they think he'll be good to go.

Concussions are tricky as there are few outward signs of them, so a player can lie and cheat his way through a lot of the stuff and you just know Mahomes is one of those guys who would do just that. Especially in a big playoff game.

When the cognitive tests came out players soon figured out to dummy themselves down on the baseline test so even if they were impaired later, they could keep on playing. By intentionally doing bad on the baseline testing they lowered the bar to get back on the field after a concussion. It's pretty clever in a counterproductive kind of way. 

Philip Rivers retiring. Drew Brees retiring (probably.) Lots of teams needing an answer at QB. (Pats, WFT, Bears, Jags, Jets, Colts, Saints, Niners, Rams, Panthers, etc.) It's going to be a very interesting offseason. A lot of those QB needy teams are playoff-caliber teams. How aggressive do they get in going after a QB?  It's safe to say the Colts, Saints, Niners, Rams. Patriots, WFT, and Bears are playoff-caliber teams when at full strength. (The Patriots did have something like eight starters opt-out due to Covid in 2020, so they're not as bad as they looked in 2020.) Where will they find their new QBs?

If they opt for a kid, they'll have to watch as their playoff chances fade as the kid learns how to play in the NFL. If they opt for an older vet who might be available (Matt Stafford?) will they have to overpay to get him and is he more than a one or two year stopgap? Do they gamble on a guy like Trubisky who occasionally shows flashes, but then implodes hoping he won't implode on them? 

It's going to be a very, very interesting offseason. If Terry Bradshaw ever considered coming back out of retirement a team might just give him a look this year. (Well, maybe they won't be that desperate, but they'll be close.) 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Mattthew Stafford to Indy is a popular theory right now. That's assuming Stafford wants out of Detroit and that a deal can be made between the teams. I would be OK with that. 

Many Colts fans don't want Carson Wentz because they think that his best years are behind him. I don't buy that Wentz is a bad locker room presence;I think his main problem is the coaching and management in Philly. However, I would be a bit concerned with Wentz' past health issues. 

FOX analyst Colin Cowherd has said that the AFC Championship game should be postponed if Mahomes can't play. That is crazy IMO; if that happened, then every team should have special preferences if one of their starters can't play. Imagine what would happen to the scheduling then. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

As the Eagles coaching search continues to meander its way through the league, we've heard that several coaches have been offered the job, but have refused it after meeting with Lurie and Roseman. Not an especially great omen. 

The belief among the members of the media is that it'll be Duce Staley, Nick Sirianni, or Josh McDaniels, though the Josh McDaniels talk seems to be quieting down. Nick Sirianni seems to be the hot guy now. Word is they're not comfortable with the Duce Staley/Carson Wentz relationship and fear Duce may not help repair Wentz, but further damage him. They think Sirianni can bring the Frank Reich magic touch and rebuild the Eagles. He met with the execs on Tuesday and they held him over for more chats on Wednesday.

Patrick Mahomes is making progress and took all of the snaps in the Wednesday walkthrough which implies rather strongly that the Chiefs think he'll be able to play. If they had any concerns they'd have split the reps between him and his backup. They didn't, so they think he'll be good to go.

Concussions are tricky as there are few outward signs of them, so a player can lie and cheat his way through a lot of the stuff and you just know Mahomes is one of those guys who would do just that. Especially in a big playoff game.

When the cognitive tests came out players soon figured out to dummy themselves down on the baseline test so even if they were impaired later, they could keep on playing. By intentionally doing bad on the baseline testing they lowered the bar to get back on the field after a concussion. It's pretty clever in a counterproductive kind of way. 

Philip Rivers retiring. Drew Brees retiring (probably.) Lots of teams needing an answer at QB. (Pats, WFT, Bears, Jags, Jets, Colts, Saints, Niners, Rams, Panthers, etc.) It's going to be a very interesting offseason. A lot of those QB needy teams are playoff-caliber teams. How aggressive do they get in going after a QB?  It's safe to say the Colts, Saints, Niners, Rams. Patriots, WFT, and Bears are playoff-caliber teams when at full strength. (The Patriots did have something like eight starters opt-out due to Covid in 2020, so they're not as bad as they looked in 2020.) Where will they find their new QBs?

If they opt for a kid, they'll have to watch as their playoff chances fade as the kid learns how to play in the NFL. If they opt for an older vet who might be available (Matt Stafford?) will they have to overpay to get him and is he more than a one or two year stopgap? Do they gamble on a guy like Trubisky who occasionally shows flashes, but then implodes hoping he won't implode on them? 

It's going to be a very, very interesting offseason. If Terry Bradshaw ever considered coming back out of retirement a team might just give him a look this year. (Well, maybe they won't be that desperate, but they'll be close.) 

@gardenman 

LOL at Terry Bradshaw, afterall he has to replenish his money if he's saving those ketchup packets.....🤣🤣🤣

Maybe Romo wants to make a come back.... 😉