Honored Contributor

Week Three of the 2022 NFL Regular Season!!!

We start out this week with two teams having QB quandaries. The Steelers take on the Browns on Thursday night. The Steelers have Mitchell, "Don't call me Mitch," Trubisky starting over their rookie Kenny Pickett who the fans want to see play. Pickett is the gunslinger, throw the ball down the field and let the receiver make a play kind of QB, while Trubisky is more of a check-down Charlie who prefers to take the safe underneath stuff that would take a miracle like the parting of the Red Sea for the receiver to get a first down. The Browns on the other hand are paying a gazillion dollars to lots of QBs only to have just one eligible to play for them in Jacoby Brissett. Both teams have managed to score about as many points as they've given up this year. (The Steelers have scored and given up 37 while the Browns have scored 56 and given up 55. The Bills, as an example of a good team, have scored seventy-two and given up seventeen.) Someone has to win, so I guess I'll take the Browns at home.

The Sunday slate starts with the Saints at the Panthers. The Panthers have scored more than the NFC South-leading Bucs but their defense has given up more points than they've scored which is kind of a problem. The Saints have scored less than the Panthers (37-40) and given up more points (46-45), so I'm taking the Panthers in this one.

The Texans head north to Chicago and whatever the Bears are playing on as a field at this point. It probably won't be underwater this week, but you never know. I'll give a slight edge to the Bears in this one. They'll at least know in advance the field conditions.

The Chiefs head to Indy to abuse the Colts. I don't have a good feeling about this one for the Colts. The Chiefs are a very good team while the Colts are in a bit of disarray and starting to ponder the wisdom of trading the next five or ten drafts to get Lamar Jackson this offseason. Who knew changing QBs every season while half your coaching staff departs each season wasn't a recipe for success? The Chiefs should win this one pretty easily. The Chiefs are averaging 35.5 points per game while the Colts are averaging ten points per game. Yeah. Not a good week to be a Colts fan.

In what should be a pretty good early game the Bills take on the Dolphins. These are the two best AFC East teams. It should be a high-scoring game as both are averaging 30+ points per game. The Bills' defense has been stingier though, so I'm giving the slightest edge to the Bills in this one. It should be a good game. Maybe the best of the early games on Sunday.

Detroit and Minnesota meet to discuss getting beaten by the Eagles in weeks one and two. Both teams are kind of stuck in QB limbo where they have a guy who's kind of good, but maybe not good enough. I'll give an edge to the Lions in this one.

The Ravens head to New England to take on the Patriots. The Patriots are not the old Patriots. I'll take the Ravens in this one. Lamar Jackson is playing well.

The Bengals take on the Jets. To say the Bengals need a win is an understatement. And they've come to the right place at the right time. Assuming they don't get Joe Burrow killed (and they're really trying to) they should get the win here. I'll take the Bengals.

The Raiders and Titans are each looking for their first win of the year. The Titans' fan base is calling for the head of their offensive coordinator. Things got so bad against the Bills that they slid in their kid QB Malik Wilis to see if he could do anything. The Raiders' big spending on free agents and trade for Davanta Adams hasn't paid off in a win. And the Titans trading away AJ Brown hasn't helped them any. Who knew trading away your best receiver would hurt an offense? Well, someone has to win this one. I guess I'll take the Raiders.

The Eagles head south to their second home stadium located somewhere in Maryland to take on the Commanders. Expect a raucous pro-Eagles crowd there as the stadium falls down around them. The Eagles are healthy, playing well, and have momentum, but this is still an NFC East game, and anything can happen in NFC East games. Still, I'll take the Eagles in this one. Wentz will want to win badly, as he always does, but this Eagles offense is a handful for a good defense, and I don't think the Commanders' defense is all that good right now. I'll take the Eagles in this one. There's no good way to defend Jalen Hurts these days. The Vikings thought they could win by forcing him to throw the ball. He completed 26 of 31 for 333 yards and two touchdowns. Not a great plan by the Vikings.

The Jags head to LA to take on the Chargers. The Jags are going to be a handful this year. They'll give the Chargers a good fight, but I think the Chargers will eke out the win.

The Rams and Cards face off after a disappointing start by both teams. Both teams have given up 17 more points than they've scored this year. I'm going to give the slightest edge to the Cards in this one. I think Kyler Murray will find a way to get the win despite the coaching and other issues. He pretty much won their last game single-handedly and he can do that where Stafford can't really drag a team to a win.

The Falcons fly west to take on the Seahawks. The Seahawks are the second-lowest scoring team in the NFC with just 24 points through two games. The Falcons and Marcus Mariota are showing signs of life. It's hard to win in Seattle, but that's also Mariota's home turf (more or less) having played for Oregon. I'm going to guess the Falcons eke out the win.

The big later game is the battle of the bays with the Green one going to the Tampa one. Rodgers versus Brady. Does it get any better than that? Well, it could be better if the Green Bay side ever gave Rodgers weapons to play with. Tampa keeps adding more weapons in signing Cole Beasley this week. Beasley is a Brady kind of guy.  He beats teams to death with those shifty little slot receivers (Edelman, Welker, Amendola, etc.) over the middle of the field. Beasley may be the most gifted of the lot. Will he be up to speed for this game? Maybe. If he is, expect to see a lot of him. I'll give an edge to Brady and the Bucs in this one.

Sunday night has the Niners taking on the Broncos. Jimmy G taking on Russell Wilson. Neither team is off to an especially impressive start. The Niners are almost certainly better off with Jimmy G as the starter. Both teams have similar stats so far. I'll give a slight edge to the Broncos since they're playing at home with a raucous crowd.

And our Monday night finale has the Cowboys heading to Tear Up Your Knee Field in NJ to take on the Giants. This should be an interesting one. NFC East games are predictably unpredictable. The Giants are playing well. They have a coach they believe in. They don't have an especially good roster. And one of the places they're weakest is the o-line. The Cowboys have issues stopping the run and the Giants will try to run the ball down their throat to keep Micah Parsons occupied and away from killing Daniel Jones who will likely give up a fumble or two in the game. I'm giving the slightest edge to the Cowboys in this one due to Micah Parsons. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Week Three of the 2022 NFL Regular Season!!!

I don't know if I'll watch the Colts game this weekend.Maybe they will get some players back, which would help. A couple years ago the Colts with Jacoby Brissett beat them at Arrowhead, so anything is possible. Not probable, but possible. 

Mike Evans' appeal didn't work, and his 1 game suspension was upheld. I'm wondering why Brady isn't fined for destroying tablets. It seems that happened whenever he's upset. The NFL issues fines for almost anything, why not for intentionally breaking their tablets? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not doing well in my picks at all---I only got 5 correct last week---

Lets see if I can do better---

STEELERS vs BROWNS----The Steeler fans are clamoring for their "hero" Pickett, but I think Tomlin will stick with Trubisky.  The Browns are going with their backup until Watson's suspension time is up-----The Browns have more talent on their roster, and that Steeler D will miss TJ Watt who is out with an injury---Im taking THE BROWNS for the WIN!

SAINTS vs PANTHERS-----I just dont trust the Saints offense and Im hoping that Baker Mayfield will have a good day and put lottsa points on the scoreboard---PANTHERS!

TEXANS vs BEARS----Last week the Texans scored 9 whole points and the Bears 10---SMH.  Its a toss up game and Ill give DA BEARS the advantage since they are at home---DA BEARS for DA WIN!

CHIEFS vs COLTS---Mahomes and the Chiefs are in tune and may be the 2nd hest team in the AFC.  Meanwhile the Colts and their new QB Matt Ryan scored ZERO!!!!  No surprise Im going with THE CHIEFS!

BILLS vs DOLPHINS----The Bills bulldozed through their opponents their first 2 games, but oh those tricky Dolphins are playing well and have the ability to pull an upset.  The Dolphins have the hot and humid weather on their side too.....BUT going with THE BILLS! This should be a good game!

LIONS vs VIKINGS---The Lions have improved so much and are playing well!! The Vikings were overhyped and they looked pretty much like the same ole Vikings and QB! Look for those LIONS to roar and get the WIN!

RAVENS vs PATRIOTS---Patriots beat the Steelers and the Ravens lost to those fiesty Dolphins.  But this game Im going with the better QB, Lamar, who will lead the RAVENS to a VICTORY!  

BENGALS vs JETS JETS JETS---Surprising win for the Jets last week and another surprising loss for the Bengals.  However the BENGALS will get back on the right track!

RAIDERS vs TITANS---The Titans looked downright pathetic going against the Bills, and the Raiders arent much better being winless in this young season.  But Im going with the RAIDERS at least they can score.

EAGLES vs WASHINGTON ----  Well at least Wentz and the offense played well for HALF A GAME!  But the Washington's defense was pathetic, the Lions ran through them like butter!!!  The Eagles offense is playing well......I HATE to say it, as much as Wentz wants revenge on one of his old teams, he wont get it this week.......EAGLES get the "W"(no pun intended) 😫😥.......

JAGUARS vs CHARGERS----Herbert has a rib cartledge injury which will be painful, the Jags have improved with their new coach.....Without Herbert being 100% Ill go for the upset and take the JAGUARS!

RAMS vs CARDINALS---The Cardinals woke up and beat the Raiders!  The Rams barely beat the Falcons, but I dont trust the Cardinals they are so inconsistent and will take the Super Bowl CHAMP RAMS to WIN!

FALCONS vs SEAHAWKS---The Falcons offense can put points on the board meanwhile thats where the Seahawks are struggling without Russell Wilson.  Im taking THE FALCONS to win the BATTLE OF THE BIRDS!

PACKERS vs BUCS---The Bucs have agreed to give Brady some personal time off on Wednesdays!!!! Aaron Rodgers wont have that luxury! Rodgers weapons are questionable, although the offense got their act together but consider they were playing DA Bears...The Bucs added Beasley to the offense and maybe Tom will play even better after his Wednesday off---Going with THE BUCS!

49ers vs BRONCOS!!!!  JIMMY G IS BACK!!!  The 49ers experiment of young Trey Lance taking the keys to the franchise ended with a season ending injury ......Jimmy G now takes control and perhaps this is good karma for him getting his job back since he didnt complain while being mistreated by his own team! Jimmy will give the 49er offense a boost......Mile High Stadium is an advantage for the home team and Russell Wilson will play better as he begins to adapt to his new team----BRONCOS for the WIN!

COWBOYS vs GIANTS----The Giants UPSET the Panthers with a win.  The Cowboys without Dak  allowed the Bengals back in the game, and those Bengals amost came back for the win!  Parsons is a monster on D...The Giants will rely on RB Barkley but the Cowboys arent good against the run! This is an NFC East Rival game where anything can happen, and those Giant fans will be rowdy ..... Im giving the WIN to the GIANTS!! and my sister will be sooooo HAPPY 😁

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The first game night of week three kicks off tonight with the Steelers at the Browns. Can Mitchell Trubisky play poorly enough to have Mike Tomlin bite the bullet and put in the kid? Maybe. The Browns figure to run the ball at the Steelers early and often. The Steelers have had no real down-the-field passing game so far. Putting in the kid might just open up the game a bit more.

Does anyone need an overpaid, underperforming wide receiver? Kenny Golladay might be the guy for you! The Giants had him on the field for all of two plays last week. Yeah, two plays. For the guy they gave a four-year $72 million contract to last year. And he's healthy. One gets the impression the Giants have some buyer remorse and are looking to unload him. At this rate, they may end up paying someone to take him. They can't cut him due to his dead cap number, so they have to trade him if they move him. And they need a team with the cap space necessary to take on his deal, which may be the hardest part. 
The only team with the cap space to take him right now is the Browns. And I'm pretty sure they don't want him. 

Any trade for Golladay will need him to redo his contract with a significant pay cut included. He may get frustrated enough in NY/NJ to take that route, but he's a problem for the Giants right now. And he'll be a problem for them for the next year as his dead cap number will be $14.7 million in 2023. (They can do a post June first cut on him in 2023 with less of an immediate dead cap hit.) In 2024 they can move on with just a dead cap hit of $6.8 million and they likely will if they can't find someone gullible enough to take him. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Ryan Leaf was giving an analysis of Jalen Hurts on GMFB. He said Jalen has turned the corner in his passing game and is playing well. Said he is one of the few guys that knows "when to run, very cerebral"...  Nice to see that Ryan has turned his life around....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, Ryan Leaf was on a very bad path there for a while but seems to have changed course. 

Jalen Hurts is a guy who's gotten better every year he's played football. He improved each year in college and now he's improved each year in the pros. There's no telling where his ceiling is. He hasn't hit it yet. Some guys peak early and then either stabilize there or decline. Hurts has been steadily improving. It'll be fun to see how high he can go.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

CBS will broadcast the Chiefs-Colts game throughout most of the country: only about 20% will get the Bills-Dolphins game. They could change at the last minute, but this is what they're doing now.

The Colts are always broadcast in my area, but to put that game in other areas instead of the Bills-Dolphins seems strange. How can this be better for ratings? Now everyone can watch the Colts get annihilated on national TV. Can't wait.  (I don't have much confidence until I get the final injury report.)

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@gardenman used the words "slightest edge" more than I've ever seen in his predictions. That's probably why my husband and I have picked eight games differently this week. I should be a wild week.

Honored Contributor

well, tonight we had a good game to watch!

tomlin did NOT look happy during the game.

"I would prefer even to to fail with honor than win by cheating." - Sophocles
Honored Contributor

Yeah, the Steelers aren't playing up to his standard. We'll have to see how long he hangs with Trubisky. He insists he's not making a QB change, but at some point, he's got to pull the trigger. It's not like the kid will get better on the bench. You've got to make a move at some point and why wait until the season is lost?

Starting the kid for a half or so, and then having Trubisky as the "In case of emergency" guy waiting should things go badly isn't the worst idea. He might want to wait until they get past the murderous part of the schedule. This coming week they've got the Jets, but then they run into a tough gauntlet of the Bills, Bucs, Dolphins, Eagles, Saints, and Bengals, and I'm not sure either QB will win a lot of those games. That's a pretty tough six-game stretch. After that stretch, they have the Colts, Falcons, Ravens, Panthers. While not easy games, that's a good stretch to dump in the kid and have a chance at getting a win or two or three. Let him build some momentum and gain some confidence. 

I'm pretty sure all of the Steelers players know that Kenny Pickett is the guy going forward and that Trubisky is just a one-year rental, a gap filler. There will be growing pains with a kid QB but that's how the kid gets better. We'll have to see what happens going forward, but Pickett should at least get worked in a little from time to time. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!