Honored Contributor

Re: Week Thirteen of the 20921 NFL Regular Season!!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

What's funny is back in the day John Riggins used to be considered a talented mess and nothing but trouble....but one thing that Joe Gibbs knew, is Riggo wanted to be part of a championship football team, and in the NFL it was like being "Peter Pan you never have to grow up" (maybe thats whats wrong with AB?) so using that and a roster full of "good guy" teammates, Joe new he could find a way to motivate John on the field....Just think having one too many "cocktails" at a "government party" and telling Supreme Court Justices to "loosen up" before falling asleep was a REAL SCANDAL back when, BUT it's considered "mild stuff" compared to all the things that goes on with players  today....And at least Riggo had the sense to NOT drink and drive!!!! 

He tried acting and even the critics were impressed with a role portraying a Vietnam veteran, but they told him he'd have to lose weight to have a career...John decided acting wasn't for him!

He's now actually pretty sober and is enjoying his "peaceful lifestyle"---he even does yoga, he's the cook in the family!...He's quite interesting and intelligent and witty fellow on his podcasts....and I got a kick when his youngest daughter, Hannah, was a guest on his show....they had her watch an old commercial with John in his hey day moonwalking to a Michael Jackson song....she seemed surprised and her opinion was just a good laugh.....he and this youngest daugter have a good relationship....(she was impressed when John took her to his hometown and showed her the journey he went through from high school to the NFL Hall Of Fame!) He loves visiting his old Kansas stomping grounds...

John's second wife is a lawyer and she's represented the "old guard retired NFL players " she's fighting for their rights especially much deserved medical insurance and treatment....

Quite an interesting guy and character.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Back to Sunday games----

The media that follow's the Raiders were asked about a new Head Coach for the long term and they said they had no idea---But one reporter said someone like Doug Pederson would be ideal he's been known to be an "offensive mastermind"...which is one thing that the Raiders  need they virtually have no real running game (thoughts about your team's former  coach @gardenman ?)

OH NO----Out for my WFT are LB hybrid-Collins, RB McKissic, and an important part of the o-line Wes Schweitzer....😣😕

When asked if RB Patterson will be the replacement for McKissic (he has been impressive in the fill-in role).....Rivera talked about Smallwood instead--hmmmmm! 

I found this comment rather interesting---Some fans were asking why the defense has been performing better with two of their top stars out (Chase Young and Montez Sweat)---the answer was---"people have criticized the two for freelancing too much in order to make a play, resulting in weaknesses that other teams have exploited. Their backups may not be as talented, but they are playing more disciplined, which is leading to more team success."----🤔

Why is Heinicke playing better  OC Scott Turner has a better understanding and tailoring the offense to Heinicke's strengths..(just what we talked about @gardenman )...and establishing the run to set up the play action past.....and to reign in some of Heinicke's impulses...more screens and short passes and taking advantage of Henicke's mobility....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Doug Pederson is a good coach in some ways, and not so great in others. He is adaptable. He went from Wentz to Foles in a couple of weeks and retailored the offense for Foles. His weakness is dealing with the media/meddlesome owner/GM. His personal mental toughness is a bit of a question mark.

When the Eagles drafted Wentz, Doug and Mike Shanahan (I think) had a pregame conversation on tape and Shanahan said Doug had a good one in Wentz. Doug said something like, "As long as we don't mess him up." Doug then proceeded to mess Wentz up. Last year was a disaster.

Starting in the preseason Doug made it clear that Hurts would have a role in the offense. Yeah. Not good. Wentz was healthy, coming off a pretty good year in 2019. He had a good camp. It should have been "his team." It wasn't. He was expected to share the team with Hurts. Each week the press was asking, "When will we see more of Hurts? When are you giving Hurts a bigger role?"  Wentz was going out there surrounded by nobodies, guys signed off the street days before in some cases and getting killed. 

"He's holding the ball too long!" Well, yeah, because no reliever is capable of getting open. And "too long" is about two seconds behind that patched-together line. The front office and media wanted to see more of Hurts and Doug went along with it. That drove a wedge between Wentz and the front office. A wedge that ended up sending Wentz to Indy.

Doug could have prevented that by standing up for Wentz more. Keep Hurts on the bench. Defend Wentz by reminding everyone what he was dealing with in terms of support around him. Support the starting QB instead of undermining him. Doug got too waffly (for lack of a better word) and that's not good in a coach. He looked scared at press conferences. 

In the right situation, with the right ownership and media, he could be a very good coach. Philly was not the right situation with the right media and ownership. He was done by the middle of last season and just wanted out. Stories started to circulate that he wouldn't mind being fired. Yeah. Not good. In the right place and right situation, he can be very good. This wasn't it. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

There is an article (tongue in cheek)  stating that the Detroit Lions could enter the playoffs, if 45 things go their way. 

First of all, Detroit has to win the next 6 games. One of those scenarios already happened when Dallas beat New Orleans. It lists which teams have to win each week for the Lions to have a chance. There's too many of them for me to list. Someone did their homework, and if the stars align right, there IS a chance for the Lions to enter the playoffs. Maybe one in a million, but a chance! Who knew? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

There is an article (tongue in cheek)  stating that the Detroit Lions could enter the playoffs, if 45 things go their way. 

First of all, Detroit has to win the next 6 games. One of those scenarios already happened when Dallas beat New Orleans. It lists which teams have to win each week for the Lions to have a chance. There's too many of them for me to list. Someone did their homework, and if the stars align right, there IS a chance for the Lions to enter the playoffs. Maybe one in a million, but a chance! Who knew? 

@teganslaw 

🤣🤣🤣

5cd50a801cf434aee4b9d8a4b090ff41.png

Honored Contributor

It's game day!!! Time for Minshew mania in Philly! Jalen Hurts is out (bad ankle) and Gardner Minshew gets the start today. Reid Sinnett will likely be the backup. (I wasn't sure he was on the active roster, but he is.) We also have two former QBs on the roster in Greg Ward and Tyree Jackson should things go horribly wrong.

This will be interesting. Minshew is more of a passing QB while Hurts is more of a runner. Minshew likes to throw the ball here, there and everywhere, which could confuse the Jets if they prepared for Hurts as Hurts is more of a sideline passer and seldom throws the ball in the middle of the field. With Minshew as QB the Jets will have to defend more of the field.

I expect Minshew will do well. He's a legit NFL QB. He's got good weapons and a good line in front of him and he's playing against the Jets. (Most teams look good playing against the Jets.) Hurts watching another QB using his weapons could be helpful and a learning experience for Hurts. This will liven up the sports pages in Philly for the next few days if Minshew does well.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

GAME TIME IN SA

EARLY GAMES---

Colts vs Texans--- GO COLTS!

LATE GAMES----

Ravens vs Steelers--

WFT vs Raiders---GO WFT!!

SNF---

Broncos vs Chiefs

MNF

Patriots vs Bills

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Esteemed Contributor

Early games today: Colts at Texans-CBS; Cardinals at Bears-FOX

C Ryan Kelly was placed on reserve'Covid list. I don't know details, if he was positive or close contact. The Colts have a bye coming up, next week so he should be good to go week 15. 

4:25 game: Ravens at Steelers-CBS. Big Ben announced that this is his final season. Speculation about his retirement has been going on a couple seasons, so this doesn't surprise me. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

O/T----

Permit me to brag a bit---with a record of 12-1, the UTSA ROADRUNNERS WON THE CONFERENCE USA CHAMPIONSHIP 

UTSA wins first Conference USA championship, outlasting Western Kentucky in  shootout

Great game that went down to the wire with Western Kentucky-----CONGRATS ROADRUNNERS---BEEP BEEP!!!

Hey even my Spur's won last night---our young guns defeated the Warriors---WTG! 

I hope the good luck continues with my WFT! 

Honored Contributor

Wow! The Panthers fired Joe Brady??? That's a big surprise.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!