Honored Contributor

Re: Week Thirteen of the 2022 NFL Regular Season!!!

Are the Cowboys better than the Eagles? Eh, hard to say for sure. We beat them head-to-head earlier 26-17. We play again on Christmas eve. Micah Parsons may be the best defender in the entire NFL, so he's better than our best defender.

The Dak Prescott/Jalen Hurts debate has gone on for a while now. Hurts is more versatile and is developing into a very good passer. Dak's thrown 13 TDs to 7 INTs. Hurts has thrown 20 TDs to 3 INTs (and two of those INTs hit receivers in the hands and bounced into the arms of defenders.) Dak's QBR is 59.2 while Hurts is 69.2. Neither guy is a bad QB.

The Eagles' o-line and WR corps are just better. The Eagles' corners are better. The Eagles' tight ends (when Dallas Goedert gets healthy again) are better.

Coaching? I'll take Dan Quinn over Jonathan Gannon. Their DC is better. On the offensive side, I'd take the Eagles with Steichen and Sirianni over pretty much anyone in the league.

Howie Roseman is a wizard at GM and far, far better than JJ.

In the first matchup the Steichen/Sirianni combo outdid Dan Quinn and left his star player Micah Parsons trapped in no man's land. I'm pretty sure Dan Quinn will try to find an answer to that for the rematch. Whichever set of coaches wins that next battle will likely win the game. I expect Parsons to be used more as a down rusher the next time than a linebacker. At least then the Eagles have to block him. Using him as a pure linebacker let the Eagles isolate him and then if he rushed pass over him, if he dropped back, run in front of him. They never had to try and block him the whole game. 

Which team is better? I like the Eagles roster better overall. I don't think there's much debate about the o-line and WR. The Eagles' d-line is deep and solid. Eagles' linebacker play has been much better than anticipated. Bradberry and Slay are among the two top-rated corners in the league. I might give an edge to the Cowboys at RB, but even that's close.

Assuming Dallas survives the first round of the playoffs, both teams could meet up for a third time also. To me, the Eagles are better, but the Cowboys have Micah Parsons who can wreck a game. He's a modern-day Lawrence Taylor type of player. The Eagles schemed him out of the game the last matchup. Dan Quinn probably won't let them do that again. What happens with Parsons will determine which team wins in December.

If I had to bet on the game, I'd bet on the Eagles to get the win. If Jonathan Gannon doesn't coach scared, it could be a lop-sided win also.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman , I can't argue with your analysis of the Cowboys and Eagles.  Amazing that both teams are doing so well in the same season and are among the best in the NFL at this time. I'm personally happy for Jalen's success as I'm a fan since he played for my Sooners. Just wish he wasn't playing for our divisional rival!  Should be quite the game on Christmas Eve. AT&T will be rocking! While right now I would have to give a slight edge to Philly, it may come down to who makes the fewest errors, if no important players are out due to injury, and maybe who has the ball last.  I can see it go both ways based on who's really "on" that night.  At least one thing we can all agree on, however, is that weather won't be a factor for either team.

Esteemed Contributor

Breaking news: The Rams claimed Baker Mayfield. Matthew Stafford will be out for awhile, so it looks like Mayfield will be starting in place of him. 

The 49ers weren't quick enough, so now he's with a division rival. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

It'll be interesting to see if the Rams give Baker a real chance at sticking or if they just took him to annoy the Niners. They've got Stafford signed through 2026. They'd be looking at a nearly $50 million dead cap hit if they moved on from Stafford in 2023. Mayfield could have given the Niners a capable starter to challenge Trey Lance in 2023. It's hard to see the Rams letting him challenge Stafford.

Baker's a free agent in 2023 and if he plays well in 2022 could see his value skyrocket. We'll have to see how it all plays out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Interesting. They're now saying only the Rams put in a claim for Mayfield. I would have thought the Saints, Texans, and Colts might have some interest if not the Niners. I wouldn't have been shocked if Andy Reid had put in a claim for him.

The Eagles did some roster shuffling to open up some spots on the practice squad and big roster. Robert Quinn went to the IR for a knee issue. Janarius Robinson the DE we snatched off the Vikings practice squad who got hurt was elevated from the practice squad. And some more shuffling besides.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!