Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Thirteen of the 2020 NFL Irregular Season!!!

The game wasn't televised in my area, either. Congrats to the WFT! I'll be watching the game on Game Pass today. I also will check out the Steelers message boards and see if they've exploded. LOL.

@gardenman , is there a chance that the Eagles could part ways with Carson Wentz? There is talk on the Colts forums about Wentz possible coming to Indy if Rivers doesn't play next year because of his surgery or other reasons. Some fans were mentioning the Wentz-Reich connection, and that it might happen. There is a debate of whether Wentz's regression is because of poor coaching and team management, that he still has the talent. Maybe a different team could help. 

it's just talk among Colts fans, but wonder what your thoughts are on this.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

The game wasn't televised in my area, either. Congrats to the WFT! I'll be watching the game on Game Pass today. I also will check out the Steelers message boards and see if they've exploded. LOL.

@gardenman , is there a chance that the Eagles could part ways with Carson Wentz? There is talk on the Colts forums about Wentz possible coming to Indy if Rivers doesn't play next year because of his surgery or other reasons. Some fans were mentioning the Wentz-Reich connection, and that it might happen. There is a debate of whether Wentz's regression is because of poor coaching and team management, that he still has the talent. Maybe a different team could help. 

@teganslaw 

I got to see the game replayed on the NFL Network...it was shortly after the real game ended!!!!

@yellowrose 

Despite their record, the Steelers have struggled even in their wins....JMHO they are a "paper tiger" ......Even Tomlin was yelling and screaming at the players even though they beat the Ravens, and Ben admitted after that game and said they werent really playing very well....

Yes, there are some realistic Cowboy fans, like you and others, but most around here in my city wear star shapped sunglasses and think the Cowboys are always "magnificient".....(they tell me---"oh if only Dak hadn't gotten hurt we'd be Super Bowl contenders")....SMH So stay true @yellowrose ..... you get it! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I could see that happening, but it would take some serious capital to make the deal work. The Eagles would take a big cap hit moving Wentz now. In all likelihood, his contract would need to be reworked to move the money around before the trade. 

His regression is more due to coaching and management than talent. Wentz can do incredible things on a football field, but this staff has done horrible things to him.

If you go back to when Wentz was drafted in 2016, John DeFilippo was the new QB coach. He'd been the OC in Cleveland in 2015 before getting fired with the rest of the staff. He "found" Wentz while in Cleveland and was his biggest advocate. He wanted the Browns to draft Wentz, but that all ended when the Browns fired him. He brought his passion for Wentz to the Eagles and soon convinced Frank Reich (then the Eagles OC) that Wentz was the answer at QB. Reich and Defilippo then went to Doug and convinced him. Then those three went to management and convinced them to spend the draft picks and players necessary to land Wentz. Carson had three guys who'd staked their reputations and careers on him and were deeply invested in him. They built a system around his strengths.

The Eagles didn't really "need" a QB in 2016. They had Sam "Ouch, I'm hurt!" Bradford (then 28 years old) on the roster and Mark "Butt fumble" Sanchez (then 29 years old) had been Bradford's backup in 2015. They'd signed Chase Daniel (then 30) from the Chiefs in free agency already. But, the three offensive masterminds fell in love with Wentz and convinced management to go get him.

Wentz was in a perfect spot. Talented coaches who'd all invested in him and wanted him to succeed. They believed in him enough to trade away Sam Bradford at the start of the season and make Wentz the starter over Chase Daniel. It was the perfect situation for Wentz and they molded the system around his skills and talents and he thrived.

In 2017 he was having an MVP season before his knee got destroyed. The Eagles won the Super Bowl despite that and Nick Foles became something of a folk hero. DeFilippo got the job as OC in Jacksonville, costing Wentz his prime backer. Frank Reich got spirited away to Indy costing him his offensive architect. Doug was pretty much all that was left. In the 2018 season, Wentz broke his back and had to miss more time including the playoffs. Once again Foles came in as the hero and nearly got the team to the Super Bowl. In 2019 things started out slowly then Wentz came on strong and was playing as well as anyone over the last quarter of the season and had led the Eagles into the playoffs where a cheap shot to the back of his head in the first quarter of the playoff game knocked him out once again.

Then comes 2020. The Eagles have no OC, they've decided on an offense by committee approach. They brought in offensive masterminds from around the league, each with different views, and none of those guys are invested in Wentz. Marty Mornhinweg, Rich Scangarello, and Doug are more or less at the top of the offensive list, but Duce Staley and Jeff Stoutland also have input along with many others. There's no single vision. It's a mishmash of different ideas and philosophies. His top receivers all drop out due to injuries early. The offensive line is in shambles. Playcalling is a mess.

The team ignores roster holes and drafts a promising young QB in the second round despite having a competent backup already in Nate Sudfeld. The new offensive coaches seem more intent on proving that their ideas and systems can work with Wentz rather than do what Wentz does best. Running game? We don't need a running game! Move the quarterback? But that will make it harder for the defense to find him! Jason Peters is old, slow, and fat? Excellent! Let's make him a starter! This kid Fulgham is leading the league in receiving after his first four games as a pro? We should bench him in favor of Alshon Jeffery. Sure, Jeffery can't really play any longer, but we like the guy. 

This is where Wentz is right now. Get him in the right situation and he's as good as any QB in the league. He's just in a horrible situation now. He hasn't forgotten how to play football. He's just not being given the chance to do what he does well. His confidence is a bit shaken, his mechanics have regressed, he's got a ton of distractions (on the field a rookie QB who the team has invested in, lots of different voices in his ears from the coaches, off the field a new wife and baby.) His weapons are or were all injured. His line is a sieve. (Largely due to the staff constantly reinserting Jason Peters into the lineup.) There isn't a QB in the league who would thrive in these circumstances.

How to fix Wentz? Easy-peasy. Bring in an OC and QB coach who truly believes in the kid. (John DeFilippo?) Design the offense around what Wentz does well. Put one person in charge of the offense not a team of six or seven coaches. Move the pocket. Give him more run/pass options. Bench the underperforming players regardless of their status as veterans. Limit the distractions around him. Give him a chance to succeed. Right now having three receivers running go routes against man coverage isn't working. They gave Jalen Hurts more rollout options in his few plays than they've given Wentz the whole season.

Carson Wentz is an MVP caliber quarterback. He just needs to be in the right situation and this is definitely not it this year. Bring in an offensive coordinator who believes in the kid. Create a system around his strengths. Don't try to force a square peg into a round hole. If you put Tom Brady into Lamar Jackson's offense he'd struggle. Wentz is in the wrong system (if you even call this odd conglomeration of an offense a system) and it's hurting his ability to thrive. This is a talented team. Wentz is a talented QB. The team, on offense anyway, is just a confusing mess of too many different ideas, and no real focus on what works.

Wentz would be better off in Indy right now with Frank Reich, but I don't think you can make a trade workable for all involved. But hopefully, whoever the Eagles coaches are next year, they fix the screwed up mess they made this year. You need "a" philosophy on offense that meshes with your QB's skills, not a dozen different voices all wanting something different. This isn't rocket science. Bench the guys who are cooked (Peters and Jeffery.) Use your top-tier running back to actually run the ball. Play to Wentz's strengths. And have one, single, united offensive philosophy, not a dozen different ideas all bouncing around. 

Fixing Carson Wentz is easy. Give him one coach with one coherent voice about the offense. A single, simple philosophy that plays to Wentz's strengths. Move him around. Let him throw on the run. Use rollouts and moving pockets. Put players around him who can still play, not guys who you feel loyal to. Suddenly he's back to being an MVP candidate. It's really not that hard to "fix" him. He's not broken. The system around him is, but not Wentz.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Just like the commentators were saying about Drew Lock he's not a pocket passer, he's move comfortable rolling out and having a moving pocket.... I just don't understand these coaches---they won't fit their systems to match their player's talent its like they think anyone can work in their system which is not the case .....And that is what happened to many QBs that went to Cleveland and watched their careers die..... I hope that doesnt happen to Wentz with the Eagles, he seems like a good guy and just needs the right system and a decent O-line! 

And I think some of these assistants who are not working together as a team, it's because they are trying to audition for a head coaching job....

@teganslaw @gardenman 

If you watch the WFT/Steeler game there is moment when blood is coming out on QB Alex's leg---it looks like someone got him with a cleat. Poor Alex, but he didnt seem bothered by it, and thankfully it wasn't his previously injured leg...they just taped him up over his pants and sent him back out on the field.... One area that the WFT needs to look at is improving the o-line, we have a couple good players but also some holes...Alex is getting sacked on a regular basis! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah. Too many assistant coaches are more focused on moving up to becoming a head coach. Just do your job. The old "too many cooks spoil the meal" saying is where the Eagles are right now. They don't have "an offense". They have bits and pieces of like six offenses they're trying to meld together. That just never works. You need "a system." Build the system around your quarterback's capabilities. Optimize it for him. Focus on what he does best. Put on blinders to what everyone else is doing and just make the best possible system for your guy. Succeed at that and everyone in the league will be trying to do what you're doing instead of you trying to do what everyone else is doing. It's not that hard.

The Eagles just got a bit lost. I think Doug is trying to recreate the Doug, Reich, DeFilippo trio and instead has created the three stooges. (Well, six stooges might be more appropriate.) There's no unity. There's no real system. Just bits and pieces of multiple systems they're trying to cobble together. It's just a confused mess. Create a system that optimizes your QBs abilities, Find players who fit your system. It's truly not as hard as the Eagles are making it look. And they're making it look very hard.

If Doug stays as head coach, he needs to hire an offensive coordinator. Marry the guy (potentially gal) to Wentz and get the heck out of the way. Build the roster around the system. Ignore talented guys who don't fit the system. Then execute the system. The new OC should all but move in with Wentz. Go over the video with him. FInd out what he's comfortable with, truly and not just saying he's fine with it, and build around that. Wentz is the kind of guy who will say he's fine with anything they throw his way, but truthfully, there are things he'd prefer over others. Build around what he likes, what he's comfortable with. Listen to the kid. Build a relationship with the kid. Build a system with the kid. Then build the team around the system. It's not that hard.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Does anyone else think its ironic that the Giants are winning with former Redskin QB, Colt McCoy, and former Redskin RB Alfred Morris---the Redskin's "dream team"..😄..

Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

My Redskin's had a PLETHORA of "stooges" running our team----the most offensive was Steve Spurrier who spent more time on the golf course than at Redskin Park....and then poor Jim Zorn got hoodwinked into becoming the HC, he was supposed to only be the QB Coach....but Snyder & Gregg Williams had a disagreement which stopped Snyder from hiring Gregg as HC, so Zorn got the job, and we all know how Jim's tenor turned out.....SMH! 

Honored Contributor

Well, that was close on Sunday, the Jets almost won! But I shouldn't have worried, they always find a way to lose. I'm hoping for the number one draft pick and the firing of Adam Gase!

Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate the response and explanation about Carson Wentz. It's a longshot that he would come to the Colts, but an interesting idea. 

The Chiefs are praising Alex Smith; the Steelers loss helps the Chiefs get closer to a first round bye. Both teams now have a record of 11-1. 

How bad is Antonio Gibson's injury? McKissic really stepped up when Gibson left the game. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I appreciate the response and explanation about Carson Wentz. It's a longshot that he would come to the Colts, but an interesting idea. 

The Chiefs are praising Alex Smith; the Steelers loss helps the Chiefs get closer to a first round bye. Both teams now have a record of 11-1. 

How bad is Antonio Gibson's injury? McKissic really stepped up when Gibson left the game. 

@teganslaw 

Havent seen any updates on Antonio Gibson so far....Yep, McKissic, and Barber stepped up but they arent as good as Antonio.... we'll see moving forward....