Honored Contributor

Re: Week Ten of the 2018 NFL Regular Season!!!

Some weird early games today. Tampa had five red zone possessions and scored all of three points. The Patriots got beat soundly by the Titans. The Falcons are in big trouble. The Bills are killing the Jets. The Colts got saved by a late Jags fumble.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Redskins makeshift o-line did a decent job protecting Alex,they used TE Jeremy Sprinkle to help with blocking.  And the defense did a great job.  They used a bend but dont break philosophy and created turnovers! And they didnt have any turnovers themselves.  The Bucs made some costly mistakes.............Whew!-thats what you call an ugly win, but Ill take it---HTTR! Woman Very Happy

@teganslaw

CONGRATS on your Colts win!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The Jacksonville defense looked better in the second half. Something happened during their halftime break. Then they edged their way back into the game and almost pulled off a win. 

The last minute of the game my TV lost its signal, so I missed the fumble that gave the Colts the game. I had to catch the highlights through the NFL website. The weather has been clear all day with hardly any wind,so I have no idea why the signal was lost. It came back within five, six minutes, but the game was over by then. 

Next week the Colts play Tennessee. After what the Titans did to NE, I'm not sure what to expect. 

Drew Brees has got to be considered for MVP. It might come down to Brees vs Mahomes. Maybe it will depend on how well the teams do in the playoffs? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

The Jacksonville defense looked better in the second half. Something happened during their halftime break. Then they edged their way back into the game and almost pulled off a win. 

The last minute of the game my TV lost its signal, so I missed the fumble that gave the Colts the game. I had to catch the highlights through the NFL website. The weather has been clear all day with hardly any wind,so I have no idea why the signal was lost. It came back within five, six minutes, but the game was over by then. 

Next week the Colts play Tennessee. After what the Titans did to NE, I'm not sure what to expect. 

Drew Brees has got to be considered for MVP. It might come down to Brees vs Mahomes. Maybe it will depend on how well the teams do in the playoffs? 

@teganslaw

Yep, thst signal going out is so frustrating!!!! We had an outage the other day.... Or they interrupt the game with a weather report....not any serious weather mind you, its raining, or cold front on its way (heres whats happened in the last 24 hours, and heres what you can expect for tonight and tomorrow--SMH)....that stuff can wait until the news break

I switched to Red Zone and what the titans did to tha Patriots was AMAZING!

It looks like the SaInts are determined and on a mission .....!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Well, that was largely a must-win game for the Eagles last night and they didn't win. They could still win the NFC East, but it's much, much more challenging now. The team just isn't "right" this year. I don't know if it's the Super Bowl hangover, or if they're being out-coached, or a lack of talent, but the team just isn't the same this year.

Carson Wentz is playing at a high level as is Alshon Jeffery and Zach Ertz, but that's about all that you can count on offensively. The defense is just not playing at as high a level as needed. Statistically they're playing okay, but when the team needs the big stop, it's generally not there. Some of that could be injury related. Getting back middle linebacker Jordan Hicks was supposed to be a big help to the defense, but he's largely disappeared in games. He's gone from a play-making middle linebacker to someone you just don't see. Nigel Bradham who'd filled in nicely for him last year has also largely disappeared from making plays this year. You almost never hear his name called these days.

Part of it could be we're getting out-coached. Teams have had a year to study what we did well and have adjusted to take those things away, but part of it is also talent. The good news is I'm likely to have to wait a lot less to see the Eagles make a draft pick come the draft. I just don't see this team making the playoffs this year now.  They could, but last night's was a game they really needed and they let it slip away. At 4-5 they need to nearly win out to ensure a playoff spot, and with games against the Saints and Rams coming up, that won't be easy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw @yellowBeetle @gardenman

OMG!!! After the game I watched a couple of local TV sport's shows: Sports Sunday and Sports Nation Overtime, and you should have heard some of the local sports guys---A few days ago they were bashing and trashing Jerry Jones, Jason Garett, and agreeing with Troy Aikman that the Cowboys needed a complete overhaul,  now the Cowboys beat the Eagles by 7 pts, not a huge margin, but now you should hear these people ----one actually mentioned that the Cowboys could go all the way to the Super Bowl...yes folks they actually mentioned the "S" word......ROFL Woman LOL   So I guess Amari Cooper solved ALL their problems (SARCASM)---just erase from memory everything Troy Aikman said animated-smileys-rolleyes-10.gif.....

Even though analysts admitted that some of Dak's passes were still off the mark, and it was Zeke's running game that saved the day for the Cowboys, and injuries impacted the Eagles, Darby went out with an ACL, but it was more about what the Eagles didnt do on defense, then what the Cowboys did.....Yes, the NFC East is wide open, but I cant picture the Cowboys beating the Rams or the Saints in the playoffs---(the Saints who sat Brees down because they were so far ahead in their game).......OMG.  Funniest comedy shows on TV today! 

Also a funny comment on ESPN's GOLIC & WINGO---Every Monday they have fans comment on Twitter, Facebook, email, or call in on WHO WON THE WEEKEND----one fan wrote, ALEX SMITH because he's the best 5 yard passer in the NFL, and whose team has a better record than the 84 million dollar man (i.e. Kirk Cousins)...and Trey Wingo agreed saying you are what your record is......Woman LOL  I know my Redskins are in first place and they arent a good team offensively, but I still got a kick out of the comment...and I better laugh while I can because the Redskins got JJ Watt and Clowney coming to town along with QB DeShaun Watson and WR Hopkins......ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt and @teganslaw

Congrats on your wins!!

@Spurt

Loved your last post about the 180° turnaround of some sports analysts who are now saying the Cowboys are Super Bowl bound!! Woman Wink 

@gardenman and everyone!

The Eagles are definitely in trouble. Have been reading tons of commentary and a running theme is that the loss of last year's OC and QB coaches may be taking a toll. Also mentioned over and over is the lack of a strong running game. Another comment repeatedly stated is Wentz and the offense getting off to slow starts. Wentz did not fumble last night (he is tied for the most QB fumbles in the NFL this season) but he did throw that pick right up front. The defense is getting heavily criticized too. 

Bottom line ... most agree that this is not the same team in any way, shape, or form as last year. And most agree that the Eagles will not make the playoffs.

Personally I think the lack of a strong running game ... coupled with Pederson's lack of even using what they have in enough situations ... is one of the main reasons they are faltering. Last year the running game was key. Not this year. Of course they got rid of Blount and Ajayi was injured ... but even before Ajayi was hurt, Pederson was being criticized for not using  him and the other RBs enough.

Anything can happen. So of course the Eagles could get their act together and still win the division. But it seems likely that the only way an NFC East team will get to the playoffs is by winning the division ... there are too many other far better teams out there who will snag the wild cards, imo.

It is a real letdown after the excitement of last year. Wentz has won 3 but lost 4, including the last three home games! Foles won one and lost one. The teams they have beaten are not doing particularly well ... Atlanta, Indianapolis, NY Giants, and JAX. And we have NO, the LA Rams, and Houston ahead ... plus another Cowboys meetup in Dallas and two with the Redskins. And one with Eli! Honestly it feels like the Eli one is the only one we can count on winning! 

One other tidbit ... since the Eagles had a run of winning the NFC East back in the early 2000s with Reid and McNabb, a different NFC East team has won the division each year since 2005. Barring a major turnaround by the Eagles, it looks like that stat will continue this season! Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

So SNF determined that the Cowboys are headed to the Superbowl? All righty, then. Wonder if the Saints or Rams will have anything to say about that? 

Zeke Elliott is fun to watch, though I might change my mind on that if he runs wild on the Colts later this year. I don't know of any team that has been able to stop him. 

I've noticed something different with the Eagles.Carson Wentz is good, but the team as a whole isn't dominant like they were before. Maybe the other teams have figured out the Eagles' playbook. 

Houston's defense is relentless, so Washington is going to have design plays to get around that. The Texans can be beat, but expect Alex Smith to be pressured unless the Redskins can figure something out. On the other hand, Washington has a good defense, so it could be close. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

So SNF determined that the Cowboys are headed to the Superbowl? All righty, then. Wonder if the Saints or Rams will have anything to say about that? 

Zeke Elliott is fun to watch, though I might change my mind on that if he runs wild on the Colts later this year. I don't know of any team that has been able to stop him. 

I've noticed something different with the Eagles.Carson Wentz is good, but the team as a whole isn't dominant like they were before. Maybe the other teams have figured out the Eagles' playbook. 

Houston's defense is relentless, so Washington is going to have design plays to get around that. The Texans can be beat, but expect Alex Smith to be pressured unless the Redskins can figure something out. On the other hand, Washington has a good defense, so it could be close. 

@teganslaw

Well the SB predictions came from local guys who are much like Jerry Jones and put on the rose-colored glasses when it comes to the Cowboys...SMH!!!  The only objective guy went from sportscaster to anchoring the AM News--I miss him! 

Well guess what....the Redskins lost yet another lineman from the Bucs game.....Woman Frustrated Rookie offensive tackle  Geron Christian Sr. is out for the season after tearing his MCL 

The Redskins stopped Zeke Oct 21---Elliott's longest run was 6 yards, and he managed 31 yards overall on 14 carries. The Redskins’ defensive front of Payne, Allen, and Ioannidis, controlled Dallas’ offensive line.  Redskins also used 3 safeties on occasion to help stop the run and it made the Cowboys one dimensional and put the game on Dak's shoulders, the game plan worked and the Redskins beat Dallas!

Andrew is playing well for your Colts....so much for that speculation by the media about his shoulder....The Colts have a great TE Group ---Doyle, Swoop, Alie-Cox, and Hewitt....Some say this group is the best in the NFL! Good Luck against the Titans!

Honored Contributor

Lots of teams have stopped, or at least slowed, Ezekiel Elliott. For whatever reason, Jim Schwartz, the Eagles defensive coordinator, chose not to play that style of defense. In general Schwartz believes in ignoring the running game and focusing on stopping the pass, but, when you've got a somewhat inept QB and a very talented runningback facing you, altering that general gameplan might not be such a bad idea. Put the ball in the quarterback's hands. Make him beat you.

I don't know what the issue is with the Eagles this year. Wentz is paying very well. Zach Ertz is playing very well. Alshon Jeffery is playing very well. The runningbacks are playing well enough to win. To some extent the breaks aren't going their way this year. That first down pass to Ertz that he bobbled then caught after coming back short of the first down is just one of many such things that have happened this year that didn't happen last year. Last year he could have caught the ball a yard short of the first down and fallen forward, this year the ball hits him in the hands for a first down, he bobbles it while falling backwards and when he catches it, it's too short.

Luck (not Andrew, but luck in the lowercase) plays a huge role in winning football games. So far this year, the luck has not been with the Eagles. Kamu Grugier Hill (linebacker) gets a ball thrown right to him deep in Dallas territory and bobbles it and knocks it out of bounds instead of intercepting it. Dallas drives down the field afterwards and scores. Ertz bobbles a ball and when he regains control he's short of the first down. Last year those things went right. This year they're not. It can all still turn around, but the vibe is not good right now. We'll have to see what happens, but going to New Orleans this week with a depleted secondary against Drew Brees is not reassuring.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!