Trusted Contributor

Re: Week Sixteen of the 2020 NFL Irregular Season!!!

Well I'm just in shock!  Can't believe the Cowboys are still in it and have a chance to win the NFC East.  But they did play very well today, turnovers, and Dalton had an excellent game.  So excited for Cee Dee to be playing well in his rookie year.  And as an aside, Go Sooners!  Beat Florida Wednesday night!

Honored Contributor

@soonersis wrote:

Well I'm just in shock!  Can't believe the Cowboys are still in it and have a chance to win the NFC East.  But they did play very well today, turnovers, and Dalton had an excellent game.  So excited for Cee Dee to be playing well in his rookie year.  And as an aside, Go Sooners!  Beat Florida Wednesday night!

@soonersis 

CONGRATS on the win!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@Ladybug724 wrote:

I don't understand why the Browns had to play with SIX starters out with possible COVID symptoms. Then their flight was delayed and they had no practice time. 

Other teams this year postponed games when they had key players out due to COVID. It hurt the Browns, especially since this was a pivotal game for them. 

Maybe it was because the season is almost ended? I don't know, but it seems that the NFL hasn't been consistent. There have been complaints that the Ravens got special treatment earlier on. Also, Tennesee had Covid problems in the beginning, and some were saying that they weren't punished as they should have been. This has been a strange year in the NFL.

"Fans might cry foul over Cleveland's COVID-19-related roster losses, but they're not a victim in this instance. The league spent a ton of time crafting, implementing and updating a stringent COVID-19 protocol in order to give it the best possible chance to complete a season amid the pandemic, and teams are expected to follow those guidelines. Some haven't, and have been punished accordingly, whether via fines or losses of draft picks. The Browns took their initial losses by leaving players at home in isolation, a situation that could have been entirely avoided if they'd followed protocol correctly. They're not yet finished in 2020, but if they miss the playoffs because of this loss, they'll only have themselves to blame."

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-season-week-16-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

For reasons I don't quite understand, the NFL has decided to flex next week's Eagles/WFT game to the Sunday night game. I'm not sure that game would be how I'd want people to remember the final game of the 2020 regular season, but whatever. All of the pressure will be on the WFT in that game as if they win, they're in the playoffs.

I've got to think Doug Pederson has coached himself out of a job in Philly. A few of the players after yesterday's debacle said they just weren't ready to play. If a coach can't get his guys ready to play in a game where the playoffs are on the line, it might be time for a new coach. Doug reverted to the type of play calls he'd made for Wentz and suddenly the promising Jalen Hurts looked a whole lot like the struggling Carson Wentz. You would almost think the play calling was the problem and not the QB. (You'd be right.)

We started out the game with 14 runs and 2 passes and averaged about 6 yards per run by running straight into the teeth of the Dallas defense. Big Jordan Mailata pulled from his left tackle position and just plowed Cowboys out of the way as he led Miles Sanders down the field. (Late in the game on a pull, Jaylon Smith of the Cowboys head-butted Mailata as he pulled knocking him out of the game for a bit. Expect Smith to get at least fined and possibly face a suspension for that. It was a pure cheap shot. The game was largely over by then so it was especially tacky.) Once we'd clearly established we could get six yards on any given run, Doug stopped calling them. Instead, his later running plays were called on tosses out wide which is the one type of running play the Cowboys can defend thanks to their defense's speed.

And speaking of speed, why aren't we using it? We have five receivers who can run in the 4.2-4.3 range, but the only guy who shows any speed is DeSean Jackson, who managed one play before getting sore/injured again and then largely sitting out the rest of the game. 

The good news is by flexing the game to later, we'll know our possible draft order. If Houston, Atlanta, and Cincy all win their games, we could lose our way up to third in the draft. Miami is the big winner in the draft no matter what. That first-round pick Miami got from Houston could let a pretty good already Miami team get a very high extra pick in the first round also. It's not often that a playoff-bound team gets potentially the third overall pick in the first round also. At worst, they should be around fifth in the first round even with a Houston win on Sunday. That pretty much makes Miami the favorite to win the AFC East in 2021 already. 

Expect lots of changes for the Eagles heading into 2021. The offensive side of the ball needs to get its head on straight. Hire a real OC and give him play calling duties. Doug is in over his head with the playcalling now. Maybe an offseason to get his head straight and reevaluate his schemes would help him, but he's been consistently ineffective this year. There is no reason to bring back Alshon Jeffery, Jason Peters, or DeSean (I'm hurt) Jackson. The o-line is pretty solid overall but flushing Matt Pryor would be wise. He plays like he's uninterested and is anything but focused. Some are saying the Eagles need to draft a QB. Uh, no. Wentz and/or Hurts are both good QBs and that's not an area of need. If someone knocks your socks off with an offer for one of those guys (mid-first round pick or more), take it, but otherwise head into next season with those two guys at QB.

Help is needed on defense and especially at DB. Darius Slay was very good this year. We need another good solid corner though. A solid safety could be helpful also. A game-changing linebacker would be nice. It's going to be an interesting offseason in Philly, that's for sure. We've got to clear a ton of salary cap which means some high salary players have to be let go or traded. Oh well, one more week and we'll know where we're drafting at least. Best case scenario is third, worst case is tenth. It'll probably be somewhere closer to fifth or sixth.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

GARDENMAN, you know why they flexed the Eagles/WFT game to SNF for the finale----BECAUSE IT FITS IN PERFECTLY with the year 2020!!! Our two teams epitomize everything 2020 was about---disappointing, anxious, stressful, our offenses performed very much like they were quarantined, making our teams LOSERS! ---defensive players dispersed like players on the Co-Vid lists Woman Frustrated  PERFECT JUST PERFECT! Woman Sad

2020 clipart | Etsy

BTW a 17 game schedule is a "GO" for 2021!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jason Wright, the WFT President, made a HUGE mistake he took to Twitter to console fans and bring them hope---we get another chance--- But instead it was a plethora of tweets urging him to cut Haskins---LOL!!!

Perhaps Haskins needs to take the words of J.J. Watt to heart---

Watt said. “We’re in Week 16, we’re 4-11 and there are fans who watch this game, who show up the stadium, that put in time and energy and effort and care about this. So if you can’t go out there, you can’t work out, you can’t show up on time, you can’t practice, you can’t want to go out there and win, you shouldn’t be here. Because this is a privilege. This is the greatest job in the world. You get to go out and play a game.

I feel the most bad for is our fans, and the people who care so deeply and the city, the people who love it and the people who truly want it to be great. And it’s not. And that (stinks) as a player, to know we’re not giving them what they deserve.”

(no matter what team you cheer for, it's why fans everywhere love J.J. Watt)

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

Thank your Ravens for me, for beating my sister's Giants----😊

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

You might be onto something there. 

Doug Pederson did his weekly radio show this morning and he fully expects to be back next year. He thinks he's part of the solution instead of part of the problem. Okay, sure. It sounds like Wentz might be the starter again on Sunday as Jalen Hurts has lower body stiffness. It doesn't really matter as until we fix the playcalling you could put Aaron Rodgers back there and the results would be the same.

The Eagles went with a newfangled system this year of, "We don't need an offensive coordinator. We'll just have seven or eight guys collaborate on the playcalling and play design." Yeah. That worked about as well as anything else done by a committee. You need one voice with a coherent plan in charge of the offense. We don't have that. 

Our offense this year was too predictable. In many situations with certain personnel groups and formations, the defense knew what the play was going to be. You're just making life too easy on the defense when you do that. You need unpredictability on offense. Even the worst defense in the league can adjust if they know what the offense will be doing. Game after game we heard players saying the defense knew what the play call was and shouted it out as the offense broke the huddle and lined up. That just doesn't work. 

We'll find out this afternoon who the QB will be for the finale, but expect it to be Wentz with Sudfeld as the backup. Hurts will want to play, but if he can't run, he's less effective. Reports are that his lower body issue is more significant than first believed, so I expect him to be out. Wentz has reportedly been having fun as the practice squad QB pretending to be Taysom Hill, Kyler Murray, and Andy Dalton. It might have recharged his batteries a bit.

I don't know who I want to win the NFC East. I'd prefer the Redskins or Giants over the Cowboys, but the idea of the Cowboys dropping back to nineteen in the draft is nice also. (If they lose to the Giants they'll have a top ten pick, so I want them to beat the Giants anyway.) I'd love for the Eagles to get that third overall pick. You can't really screw that up too easily. They shouldn't draft an offensive or defensive lineman there due to the depth we already have at those spots. (Remind me I said that.) A corner, safety, or wide receiver seems most likely. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Who would be a good replacement as the Eagles HC?

Where do you think Pederson will end up----

Falcons?

Texans? 

Lions?

Jets?

Jaguars?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DWAYNE HASKINS IS GONE!!!! The WFT cut him----YAYYY!!!!! HAPPY HAPPY DAY!!! 

It looks like Smith is the probable starter against the Eagles and Heinicke will be the backup.....or if Smith can't go Heinicke gets the job!!!