Honored Contributor

Week Sixteen of the 2020 NFL Irregular Season!!!

For those of you who had week sixteen in the pool as the week we'd complete having a game on every day of the week, congratulations! You won! Yes, to round things out in this irregular season we have a Friday afternoon game this week. We'll have now had games on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I believe this is the first time in NFL history where that's taken place. Oh, what fun to be part of history in the making!

And our Friday game is the Vikings at the Saints. The Saints have lost two in a row and are now a game behind the Packers for that first-round bye. Drew Brees will be fighting hard to snap the winless streak at two and build some momentum heading into the playoffs. The Vikings will be looking forward to vacation plans for the offseason. I'll take the Saints in this one.

Next up are a trio of Saturday games starting with the Bucs at the Lions. Tom Brady will be looking to cement a playoff spot so I expect the Bucs to get the win here. The Bucs have won two in a row and the Lions have lost two in a row, so I'll take the Bucs.

Game two on Saturday features what's left of the injury deprived Niners at the Cards. The Cards looked pretty good last week so I'll give them the edge this week. 

Game three on Saturday night features Dolphins at the Raiders. The Dolphins look to be pretty safely in the playoff hunt while the Raiders are clinging to the slimmest of playoff hopes. I suspect the Dolphins will smash the last of those hopes for the Raiders and get the win. I'll take the Dolphins.

We start out Sunday with the Colts at the Steelers in something of a playoff preview. Both teams will want to win, but both coaching staffs will also wonder, "How much do we want to show them in case we meet in the playoffs?" Do you come out and try to intimidate and bully the other team into submission and hope they carry the scars of that devastating defeat into the playoffs? Or do you throttle back a bit and keep things nice and basic and vanilla and hope to ambush them in the playoffs should your paths cross? The Steelers really aren't in a position to throttle back as they're in something of a death spiral now having lost three in a row. They've also got the Browns now breathing down their throats. They'll come out breathing fire. Can the Colts match their intensity? I don't know. I'm giving the slightest possible edge to the Steelers in this one since they're the more desperate team, but an upset wouldn't shock me.

Next up the Falcons go to KC to give the Chiefs an easy win. The Chiefs are the best team in football right now and the Falcons, well, they're not. I'll take KC in a romp.

The Bears take on the Jaguars. The Jaguars cleverly managed to lose their way back into that first overall draft slot, much to the shock and horror of Jets fans. Can they hold it against the Bears? Probably. I'll take the Bears.

The "We're not as bad as our record looks" Bengals take on the "Yeah, we're pretty much that bad, but we've got a good QB and DE" Texans. I'll take the Bengals in this one. They really aren't a bad team. They just need a few more pieces to be pretty darn good.

The Giants go to Baltimore to take on the Ravens. The Ravens are just the better team here. I'll take the Ravens.

The Browns take on the Jets. Talk about two teams going in different directions. The Browns are pretty much in the playoffs barring an act of God, while the Jets have somehow managed to screw up losing for Lawrence by winning a game. They've now dropped down to second in the draft order. I'll take the Browns in this one.

The Panthers take on the WFT and whoever their QB will be this week. Dwayne Haskins, the presumed WFT starter, has been caught on camera helping underprivileged (though not underendowed) young women achieve their financial goals a dollar at a time. (Perhaps the young women can now afford to buy some clothing?) His generous acts of charity were committed without a mask however and could find him in some trouble with the league due to those silly Covid rules and regulations. At least he was at an "essential" business and not someplace nonessential like a church. Assuming the WFT finds someone to play QB they could lock up the NFC East with a win. Will they? I hope not, but my gut says yes. I'll take the WFT for the win. (But I'll be hoping they lose.)

The Broncos take on the Chargers in a battle for draft position as both teams are 5-9 and out of the playoff hunt. Whoever wins moves ahead of their division rival for a higher draft slot. I guess I'll take the Chargers.

The Eagles take on the Cowboys in a battle that could help decide the NFC East (if the WFT lose their game) or could sort out the draft order between the two teams. At this moment the Eagles are drafting seventh and the Cowboys are drafting ninth. The good news for the Eagles is that four-fifths of the offensive line is playing well. The bad news is the one-fifth that's not playing well (Matt Pryor who gave up four sacks last week) is facing off against Demarcus Lawrence of the Cowboys. (Sure, what could possibly go wrong there? It's a good thing Jalen Hurts can run fast.) Granted, when you're down to your fourth (or is it fifth now?) string right offensive tackle you can't expect all that much from him, but not letting the QB get killed would be nice. In theory, the Eagles should be able to run on the Cowboys who seem allergic to tackling on most occasions, but Eagles play-caller Doug Pederson seems allergic to running the ball. The Cowboys will likely be without linebacker Leighton Vander Esch with an ankle injury, so that could be good for the Eagles. I'm taking the Eagles in a close one here. If the WFT lose to Carolina the NFC East would then come down to the week seventeen matchup between the Eagles and WFT. (I kind of have this pet belief that the Eagles sneak into the playoffs, Hurts gets injured and has to miss games and Wentz comes back and takes them to the Super Bowl. Crazy, I know.) I'll take the Eagles this week and we'll see what happens. (Though a loss and a better draft slot isn't a horrible outcome.) In an odd quirk, not one Cowboy player made the Pro Bowl this year. Go figure.! Three Eagles did, so we win!

The Rams take on the Seahawks in what should be a pretty good game. The Rams have nine wins and the Bears who could knock them out of the playoffs only have seven, but the Bears play the Jags this week and should climb to eight wins. If the Rams lose this week that would have the Bears uncomfortably close with the Rams facing the likely playoff-bound Cards in week seventeen and the Bears facing the Packers who could be resting players. The Rams really need a win in these final two games to be able to breathe a bit before the playoffs. Beating Seattle in Seattle isn't the easiest thing in the world though. I'll take Seattle in this one.

The Titans take on the Packers in what could be a pre-Super Bowl Super Bowl matchup. The Titans have the goods to knock off KC in the playoffs. (With some luck thrown in.) And the NFC is a scramble with anyone possibly getting there. The Packers are hard to beat in Lambeau in January though and it looks like the NFC playoffs will go through Lambeau. Neither team really "needs" this win, but both would like to get it. I think I'll take Green Bay in this one, but it should be a good game.

And in our final Monday night game of the year, the Bills take on the Patriots. The Patriots are finding themselves in the odd position of making offseason plans that don't include a playoff appearance. The Bills are being heralded as one of the teams that has a shot at knocking KC out of the playoffs. Belichick will desperately want to win this game, but he just doesn't have the team to win with this year. I'll take the Bills.

And may everyone have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful holiday season!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Week Sixteen of the 2020 NFL Irregular Season!!!

I will be in heaven this weekend .... My son and I have said this

has been one of the best seasons we have had in a long time ..

so many great games ....and so many decided in the last 3 to

5 minutes of the game ....

Enjoy ......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone---

@gardenman @teganslaw @sunshine45 

Yep, isn't it grand to have so much NFL programming available in this irregular season .....Woman Very Happy

Here's my picks ----- such as they are:

Vikings vs Saints---  Can you imagine how the place would be rockin so close to the Holidays in New Orleans.....but with Co-Vid and few or no fans allowed to pump up the player's adrenaline is there really a home advantage ????  This game means a lot to the Saints who are battling the Packers for the No. 1 Playoff seed and a Bye Week......And does Kirk Cousins need to get a win to prove his guaranteed contract extension to the Vikings was worth it????? SAINTS win!

Bucs vs Lions---BUCS!

49ers vs Cardinals--- The Cardinals are just a better team.....have more talent.  The 49ers are a mess at QB and of course there's the injuries--CARDINALS

Dolphins vs Raiders ---  Not too many people saw this coming but it looks like the Dolphins are headed to the playoffs.....  The Raiders have been playing inconsistently and can't be trusted, they are truly a .500 club....Going with the DOLPHINS! 

Colts vs Steelers--- With every lossThe Steelers are going downhill fast, losing to a rookie QB on a lousy team is the last draw!.......the Colts are playing well and are in a tight Division race with the Titans and need a win--And I predict the COLTS will get that WIN!

Falcons vs Chiefs--  Just give Mahomes and the Chiefs time on the clock even at the end of a game and they always seem to be able to get a win... For the Falcons, is Julio Jones EVER healthy?????  The CHIEFS in a romp, they won't need last minute heroics in this game!!

Bears vs Jaguars--- With that Jet's win and their loss, the Jags actually WON -----in the DRAFT that is!!!  (the Jets cant do anything right!) The Jags aint gonna blow their draft place now...DA BEARS with a win! 

Bengals vs Texans--- What a way to lose a game....This season just needs to get over for the Texans so they can start rebuilding for the future.... ..Meanwhile the Bengals are showing some spunk ...........BENGALS!

Giants vs Ravens---  Without Jason Garrett on the sidelines (he was out with Covid) that Giants offense looked rather pathetic.... McCoy couldnt get anything going..... Meanwhile the Ravens are a "hot team" right now---RAVENS

Browns vs Jets---  The Browns won't let down and the Jets dont want to fall further in the draft....so it will be a win/win----BROWNS win the GAME, and the Jets secure a #2 draft spot...

Panthers vs WFT--- As @gardenman  pointed out, wasn't it nice for WFT QB, Dwayne Haskins, despite his team's loss, which apparently weighed so heavily on his heart, to give to the less fortunate in the spirit of the Holiday season by contributing towards that "clothing drive" for those young women at the strip club....😡 Will Haskin face Covid penalties?--WHO KNOWS???, BUT HE DEFINITELY DESERVES IT! (putting his coach and teammates at risk)  This game has meaning for the Division in the NFC LEAST and also has some extra special meaning for WFT Coach Ron Rivera, don't ya know he wants to beat his old team that fired him...even though he says it doesn't mean anything special .  The WFT backup to Haskins is that "well known" QB, Heinicke who is familair with Scott Turner's offense and played briefly with the Panthers in 2018....I'd say PUT HEINICKE IN! It took a full half to get the WFT back on track in last week's game...why the slow starts?!?!?!?!?  Despite all the QB drama.... I think my WFT will find a way to BEAT the Panthers who have lost 3 games in a row! ....Gee, I am wondering if a victory will send Dwayne back for another round of "charitable contributions" for those "ladies".....😣

Broncos vs Chargers---- Bronco's GM John Elway says he still has faith in Drew Lock....Meanwhile Herbert is coming off a big upset win over the Raiders and for all purposes likely knocked them out of the playoffs.....Going with the better QB and taking the CHARGERS for another win and might save their coach's job!

Eagles vs Cowboys--- Interesting game for the NFC LEAST with a Division Title on the line going down to the wire.....Hurts seems to be playing well for the Eagles, but the Eagles have their problems and then there's injuries to contend with....  Meanwhile at least Andy Dalton will take the helm at QB for the Cowboys (which is good news for them)..... But that Cowboy's D is nowhere near the Dallas Doomsday Defense of yesteryear...and on offense it's sounding more and more like they may not be happy with Zeke who may now be trade bait next season....hmmmmm!!!  And to reflect on the Cowboy's overall season---The Cowboys’ offense has turned the ball over 11 consecutive games. No defense has allowed more rushing yards or points. Head coach Mike McCarthy was hired in January with the intention of pushing this roster deep into the postseason. Instead, he’s failed to even collect back-to-back wins. (correction as @soonersis  pointed out the Boyz did FINALLY get back to back wins) Things have gotten so bad for the Boyz that Jerry Jones the owner, is criticizing the GM, which happens to be Jerry Jones....😄 YET, that star on their helmet is still bringing them a little bit of luck because you see they play in the NFC LEAST which still gives them a SLIM mathmatical chance to win the Division and get to the playoffs---if other teams cooperate and lose their games.... I may be a bit biased, but I'm going with the EAGLES--at least I think they have a better defense....FLY EAGLES FLY!  Hope I'm not jinxing them @gardenman 

Rams vs Seahawks---- Can it get any worse for the Rams than LOSING to the pathetic winless Jets----BEYOND EMBARRASSING!!!  The Seahawks beat my WFT who showed up for half a game....The Seahawks D is playing much better....and of course they got Russell Wilson, and the Rams have Goff....🤨 My brain says pick the Seahawks, but somehow I'm going to think that the Rams embarrassment with the Jets will motivate them and get a close fought WIN- taking the RAMS in an upset! 

Titans vs Packers---Hmmm 40% chance of snow showers in good ole Lambeau..... That might impact the game a little---Will Derrick Henry become a human version of a snow plow????  And will snowflakes slow Aaron Rodgers down????  The Packers have already locked up their Division and a playoff spot, but with the Titans there's still a battle going on in the AFC South---I'm going with the TITANS for the win! 

Bills vs Patriots---  The Bills are on a roll locking up their Division and a Playoff Spot---but they want to get that No. 2 seed in the AFC.....Meanwhile, the Patriots find themselves on the outside looking in for the first time in a long time.....BILLS take this one, the Patriots don't have the talent......

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! 

new-year-football-ball-santa-hat-merry-christmas-happy-snowflakes-isolated-background-minimalistic-pattern-graphic-168079222.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

DeForest Buckner won AFC Defensive Player of the Week for week 15. He had 4 tackles, 3 sacks and a forced fumble against the Texans. Congrats to him! 

If I read this correctly, Dwayne Haskins didn't get in trouble for going to a strip club; he got in trouble because he didn't wear a mask. After all, Haskins was doing his part keeping essential businesses open, but going maskless is unacceptable. Still, Haskins is selfish, and doesn't seem to care about the team. If they didn't have QB controversy, he would probably be gone. 

Hope that Alex Smith is ready to play Sunday. If he can't, they should turn to Heinecke. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt The Cowboys actually do have back to back wins after their last game.  Not much consolation is such a dismal year though.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@soonersis wrote:

@Spurt The Cowboys actually do have back to back wins after their last game.  Not much consolation is such a dismal year though.  

@soonersis 

I stand corrected, yep, your 100% right....also added a correction to my post...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Here's the latest on Haskins....he's changing his story...

Haskins clarified a “misconception” that he was at a strip club Sunday night. Haskins said he attended a private birthday party with his girlfriend. Regardless, photos posted on social media show him without a mask at a gathering of (he admits) more than 10 people in violation of the league’s COVID-19 protocols.  Haskins called his actions “immature and unacceptable” and admits he “shouldn’t have been there.”

Haskins apologized to his teammates Wednesday. The team stripped his captaincy as part of his punishment, Rivera announced, and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports Washington also fined Haskins $40,000.

The team fined Haskins $4,833 earlier this season for inviting a friend to the team hotel in violation of COVID-19 protocols. Last year, Haskins missed the final snap of a victory over the Lions while taking a selfie with a fan.

If that was a party....some party!!! Haskins isnt worth the trouble .  Even former troubled NFL QB Ryan Leaf said on social media, he recognizes the path Haskins is going down....Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Love your logic @gardenman.  May the best teams win.

Esteemed Contributor

WR Josh Gordon is back on the commissioner's exempt list after a setback involving substance abuse. He had been reinstated and would have been available to play this week, if he was clean.

Seattle will still keep him on the roster, but it's uncertain how long this suspension will last. I can understand giving someone a second chance, depending on circumstances, but Gordon has been suspended about 8 times in several years. The team should cut their losses and give up. Is Gordon really that great a player that the NFL gives him so many chances? 

Gorodn has proven many times that he can't cut it. The NFL doesn't have patience for certain actions, yet seems to go all out for Gordon. I don't get it. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

WR Josh Gordon is back on the commissioner's exempt list after a setback involving substance abuse. He had been reinstated and would have been available to play this week, if he was clean.

Seattle will still keep him on the roster, but it's uncertain how long this suspension will last. I can understand giving someone a second chance, depending on circumstances, but Gordon has been suspended about 8 times in several years. The team should cut their losses and give up. Is Gordon really that great a player that the NFL gives him so many chances? 

Gorodn has proven many times that he can't cut it. The NFL doesn't have patience for certain actions, yet seems to go all out for Gordon. I don't get it. 

@teganslaw 

I agree with you.....why do they give this guy so many chances. Other players have been cut quickly, banned from the NFL and the league and team has moved on...The inconsistency is a bit puzzling....🤔..