Honored Contributor

Week Six of the 2021 NFL Regular Season!!!

We start out this week with the world champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers coming to Philly to try and embarrass the Eagles. (As if the Eagles weren't doing a good enough job of that themselves.) In theory, this could be a pretty good game. The Eagles' defense is back to playing pretty good football and arguably the two best defensive players are Fletcher Cox and Javon Hargrave, the two defensive tackles. Tom Brady hates pressure in his face and those two guys are getting in the face of a lot of quarterbacks this year. Offensive lines have to decide whether to help their left guard or right guard and whichever one they help, the other one gets beat. Brady should have a big old defensive tackle in his face on a fairly regular basis on Thursday night.

On offense, the Eagles tend to get into ruts. Last week they decided they could beat Carolina's blitzes by throwing screen passes.  The problem was that was pretty much all they tried to do for the first half of the game. Screen left, screen right, screen left, and punt. Suffice to say the element of surprise was missing a wee bit. Once they remembered they could throw the ball down the field and not just across it things opened up a bit. This is an "I hope the Eagles win," but I'll pick the Bucs to get the win game.

Miami goes to Jacksonville in an epic battle for that first overall draft pick in 2022 and yet another effort to break Brits from the habit of following NFL football. (For the love of God, do we ever send them good games?) Jacksonville has a one-game lead over the Dolphins in that race for the first overall pick, but the Dolphins are trying hard to lose their way back into contention for the pick. I'll give this one to the Dolphins who at least have a competent coaching staff.

KC goes to the WFT in a battle to see which team has the most disappointing defense this year. KC has given up 163 points so far while the WFT has given up 155. KC has scored 154 while the WFT has only scored 123. That KC offense should eat against the WFT defense and I'll take KC for the win.

The Rams go to Tear Up Your Knee field to take on whoever the Giants have left to put on the field. Not a good week to be the Giants. Sure, the Rams are a west coast team coming east for an early game, but the Giants don't have any healthy players left. I'll take the Rams in a romp.

Houston goes to Indy in a battle of two 1-4 teams. Indy kind of got robbed on Monday night. I don't see them getting robbed again. I'll take the Colts in this one.

The Bengals get a bye, well they play the Lions which is the next best thing. I'll take the Bengals in a romp. 

Green Bay goes to Chicago. The game is in Chicago which gives the Bears a little edge and the NFC North is somewhat unpredictable, but I'll take Green Bay.

The Chargers take on the Ravens. Another west coast team coming east for an early game. The Ravens have a short week to prepare having played on Monday night, but Lamar Jackson is scary good when he wants to be. I'll take the Ravens in this one. 

Minnesota goes to Carolina. The Panthers didn't look good last week against the Eagles, and the Eagles tend to make anyone look good. One of the Eagles' DBs said pregame that Sam Darnold can't tell the difference between man and zone coverages, and he showed it by throwing three interceptions last week. I'll take the Vikings in this one.

Arizona goes to Cleveland in what should be a pretty good game. The Cards are playing some of the best football in the league right now while the Browns are more hot and cold. I'll take the Cards in a pretty good game.

The Raiders take on the Broncos. Was Jon Gruden holding the Raiders together or driving them apart? We'll start to find out on Sunday as they play their first game without him. Teams tend to rally from adversity and finding out your head coach was a racist, homophobic, idiot who got himself fired would qualify as adversity. I think that Broncos defense can hold the Raiders in check though and get the win. I'll take the Broncos.

Dallas goes to New England in what could be a letdown game for the Cowboys. Teams tend to start believing their own press after a while and the Cowboys may be in that area these days. Still, they're the more talented team, and even on the road, they should find a way to beat the Patriots. I'll take the Cowboys, but this wouldn't shock me as an upset and the Cowboys lose.

The 2-3 Seahawks take on the 2-3 Steelers in a battle on Sunday Night to see which team keeps their playoff hopes alive. I don't have a clear favorite in this one, so I'll give the slightest edge to the Steelers since they're playing at home.

And we end week six with Buffalo taking on Tennessee. This could be an AFC Championship preview. It should be another good MNF game. I'll take the Bills though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Week Six of the 2021 NFL Regular Season!!!

In an odd quirk, Nick Sirianni's press conference is going on now as I type this. That's 8:30 AM ET which is about three or four hours earlier than normal. It shouldn't be travel-related as the Eagles play at home this week. I'm not sure why the Eagles woke the media up this early (maybe just to annoy them?)  but it's a bit different. It could be related to the Thursday night broadcast crew interviews later in the day. The TNF team gets to interview everyone, and those interviews likely take place later today. I was surprised to see the pop-up on my computer saying the press conference was going on now. This is pretty early for a press conference.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Did I hear right that Gruden had a 100 million dollar contract? Those numbers baffle my mind - hope he invested wisely because no one will want to hire him. Sometimes I wish I could see the actual wording these people use when they get into trouble, because the press alludes to things but can't say them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Did I hear right that Gruden had a 100 million dollar contract? Those numbers baffle my mind - hope he invested wisely because no one will want to hire him. Sometimes I wish I could see the actual wording these people use when they get into trouble, because the press alludes to things but can't say them.

@AuntG  I believe that's over 10 years, although I might be wrong.

Honored Contributor

My own personal quirky perspective on this week's games----This is just posted for fun and in no way pertains to gambling...

BUCS VS EAGLES---The Bucs head to Philly banged up....The Eagles have a good defense led by Fletcher Cox....but Ill take Brady over Jalen Hurts and pick the BUCS to WIN!

MIAMI VS JAGUARS---Tua is questionable to start after his injury, if he can't go Brissett will be under center......Meanwhile Jag's coach Urban Meyer is in hot water not only with the NFL, but also with his wife!
I'll take the team with less drama---the DOLPHINS!

CHIEFS VS THE WFT----Both Heinicke and Mahomes made mistakes last game.............The WFT has had a series of injuries especially the O-line and offensive weapons.....The Chiefs just hadnt been themselves as they have struggled in all phases of the game!....Im thinking my WFT will bounce back they were close against the Saints, the 2 INTS and penalties killed them, as well as missed tackles!!! Hopefully they will win PROVIDING they dont make stupid penalties and NO turnovers, AND K Hopkins MAKES FGS and PATS!

RAMS VS GIANTS---Let's see the Giants QB is in concussion protocol, their top RB is injured, and they dont have much of an O-line either....Meanwhile the Rams are one game back in a tough battle with the Cardinals in the NFC West....I'm taking THE RAMS!

TEXANS VS COLTS---Some say the Colts outplayed the Ravens, but still lost!!!  The Texans seem like an overall disaster , going with the better team---THE COLTS for the WIN!

BENGALS VS LIONS----The poor Lions fought hard but still havent won a game! The coach was almost in tears at his Press Conference talking about his team's effort but how they came up short! After being taken to the hospital with a throat contusion, Burrows was checked out and deemed ready to play! The Bengals are tied with the Browns for 2nd place, and they both are one game back from the Ravens in their Division....I'll take the BENGALS since this game is important for the standings!

PACKERS VS BEARS---Well the Bears came out of hibernation and started winning...now they are one game back of the Packers...And it wasnt Aaron Rodgers that got his team the win last week, it was the Pack's Kicker for the win! This game could be a close one, but I will take Aaron Rodgers over a rookie QB---PACKERS!!!

CHARGERS VS RAVENS---WOW! What a game last Monday Night between the Colts/Ravens, and the Ravens got the win! they have the mobile Lamar Jackson and the Ravens have the record breaking singing Kicker, Justin Tucker....BUT the Chargers have an EXCELLENT young QB, Herbert, and the Chargers as an entire team are playing well and are on top of the AFC West. This is a coin flip, but taking the CHARGERS!

VIKINGS VS PANTHERS----This game comes down to the two QBS----Capt Kirk versus Sam Darnold.....Sam didnt have a good second half against a weak Cowboy defense and the Vikings squeaked by the Lions. I'll go with Cousins and the VIKINGS for the WIN!

CARDINALS VS BROWNS----This should be a good game...The Browns have been a bit up and down in their play,
the Cardinals have the only perfect record in the entire NFL! I'll take the CARDINALS!

RAIDERS VS BRONCOS---Well the players must be in a bit of turmoil as their Coach resigns, meanwhile the Broncos took a real beating from the Steelers....but Ill go with the more stable team and take the BRONCOS!

COWBOYS VS PATRIOTS----Well the Cowboys are in first place in the NFC East and Dak is leading the way....The Patriots rookie will have to keep up with the scoring, which I dont think he will, so another WIN for the COWBOYS--😫

SEAHAWKS VS STEELERS---Teams going in different directions---with Wilson out with his finger injury that spells trouble and they also have a weak defense... Meanwhile the Steelers and Big Ben seem to have righted their ship----STEELERS with the "W"

BILLS VS TITANS---The Titans got off to a slow and disappointing start, the BILLS just knocked off Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs---BILLS for another WIN!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@AuntG 

Gruden's deal was $10 million a year for ten years. He likely got a buy-out. My best guess is the Raiders paid him to go away.  I would assume they gave him $20-$25 million to step aside. Lawyers and agents were almost certainly involved. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It's game day for the Eagles!!! I'm expecting a loss but would gladly accept a win. For the Eagles to win, the interior d-line has to get in Brady's face early and often. I need to hear the names Javon Hargrave and Fletcher Cox a lot tonight. And not for penalties. Brady owns the officials so if you touch him, it's roughing the passer half the time. He starts campaigning to this week's officials as soon as last week's game ends and by game time, he's got them conditioned to throw a flag anytime anyone gets near him.

I need the offense to come out and be aggressive. Use the speed on offense to take a few deep shots. We can't play timid on offense or we'll get beat. Attack! Attack! Attack!

It should be a fun game. We'll know more about the Eagles after tonight's game. Getting a win here and going 3-3 in the first six games isn't bad. Losing and going 2-4 isn't awful either as the schedule eases up a bit going forward.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Not a good first half for Hurts. He thinks he should run too much. The pocket's been pretty good, his receivers are getting open. He's just not pulling the trigger. He just wants to pull the ball and run too much and it won't work against this Bucs defense. Stay in the pocket, make your reads, get the ball to the open guy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

A better second half, but too little too late.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!