Honored Contributor

Re: Week Six of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

@teganslaw wrote:

There will be no Pro Bowl next year. Fans can still vote, so the best/favorite players will get recognized, but they won't take the field. I don't know what the plans are for players who are voted in; the NFL hasn't released information on that yet. 

Phillip Rivers has a no trade clause in his contract, so if the Colts take on another QB, it probably won't affect him. They would trade one of their backups, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Reich is committed to Rivers and hasn't changed his position. 

If the Colts traded for one of the kids (Darnold or Haskins) their plan would be to sit him for the rest of this year and probably next year. Give them time to get the system down forward and back. Learning behind a Philip Rivers for eighteen months could be just what they both need. Both of them have the arm talent to play in the league. Both have been in jumbled systems. Get one cheap, park him as your third-string guy, glue a QB guru to him, and wait to see if you can rebuild the kid. If you could get one for a fourth or fifth-round pick, it would be a good pickup. Just make it clear to the fans that this is a trade made looking to the distant future, not this year or next. Use him on the scout team with his QB guru behind him correcting his mechanics, making sure he knows his reads, and rebuilding the kid. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

In one of those, "You know, we've been thinking" moves, the Eagles brought in a combo kicker/punter for a look. Given that it takes about six days for a guy to clear the Covid-19 protocols, stashing a guy like that on the practice squad makes some sense. If your kicker tweaks a hamstring on Thursday, you don't have time to bring in a new guy and have to hope for the best with whoever your emergency kicker is. By stashing a multi-purpose kicker on the practice squad you don't have to worry about that as much. If your kicker or punter comes up lame, you just activate the reserve guy. It's a forward looking move that makes some sense. Bear in mind we already are using one practice squad spot for a reserve QB in Josh McCown who's in Texas and well out of any infection zone in the QB room, so this could be a smart move.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman @teganslaw 

More and more info is coming out about the Haskins benching... 

Haskins has had issues with immaturity. There were incidents involving his social media accounts which the coaches talked to him about.  In addition, his dedication to film and playbook study started to lapse.....And then he showed immaturity when the team lost he showed no responsibility, no remorse, was happy and jovial which didnt sit well with his teammates...Following the Ravens loss he was bragging about his stats and also was laughing and joking with RGIII.....which again made his teammates mad...The coaches "tested" him on a play that the coach had been working with him on and he "failed" the "test".... He is just immature and didnt take the job nor his role seriously.....

Maybe he thought he could do what he wanted to because he was "Snyder's QB"...But things have changed and Ron Rivera and the new Team President are in charge of personnel and he doesnt have that "inside" anymore....

So he could have a difficult time finding a new team....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Immaturity is something a guy can outgrow. Backing up a Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh might be ideal for him. The leadership on the Steelers could hold him accountable.

Letting these stories escape the WFT just drives down his trade value. In the right situation, I'd pick him up for a fifth-round pick and then glue a QB guru to him. The guy has talent. Harnessing it is always the challenge.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Immaturity is something a guy can outgrow. Backing up a Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh might be ideal for him. The leadership on the Steelers could hold him accountable.

Letting these stories escape the WFT just drives down his trade value. In the right situation, I'd pick him up for a fifth-round pick and then glue a QB guru to him. The guy has talent. Harnessing it is always the challenge.

@gardenman 

Well, SOME players may grow up.....but some never do.....and some veteran QBs are better mentors than others too....

The coaches/organization didnt release that stuff about Haskins immaturity....from what I read it was leaked by other players......there was friction between him and other players, particularly the offensive line....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Ben's 38 now and has dealt with a lot of injuries. The Steelers don't really have a succession plan in place. Tomlin's a no nonsense head coach and there's some solid veteran leadership on the Steelers. They've got a good coaching staff. I'd take a shot at Haskins if I was them. If you could get him for a fifth-round pick, it would be a no-brainer. 

Will Haskins grow up? Maybe, maybe not, but he's worth taking a shot at. Tomlin can lay down the law and his veteran players will back him up. Haskins is a talented guy. If all else fails bring in a guy like James Harrison to give him a chat and lay down the law. Sometimes a guy has to get cut a time or two to get focused. 

The newest Eagle wide receiver Travis Fulgham was cut by both the Lions and Packers before getting picked up by the Eagles. He looks like an all-pro now. Why? The right fit? He grew up? Healthy? He grew up? I don't know. Guys change in different systems/organizations. Haskins might just need a different situation.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Ben's 38 now and has dealt with a lot of injuries. The Steelers don't really have a succession plan in place. Tomlin's a no nonsense head coach and there's some solid veteran leadership on the Steelers. They've got a good coaching staff. I'd take a shot at Haskins if I was them. If you could get him for a fifth-round pick, it would be a no-brainer. 

Will Haskins grow up? Maybe, maybe not, but he's worth taking a shot at. Tomlin can lay down the law and his veteran players will back him up. Haskins is a talented guy. If all else fails bring in a guy like James Harrison to give him a chat and lay down the law. Sometimes a guy has to get cut a time or two to get focused. 

The newest Eagle wide receiver Travis Fulgham was cut by both the Lions and Packers before getting picked up by the Eagles. He looks like an all-pro now. Why? The right fit? He grew up? Healthy? He grew up? I don't know. Guys change in different systems/organizations. Haskins might just need a different situation.

@gardenman 

Yep, sometimes a player needs a change of scenery....The Steelers are a solid organization and might be able to help Haskins......I think the WFT would take a 5th round pick for him.....

Whats interesting Haskins maturity was a question going into the draft....but of course Snyder liked "the local guy" that played with his son in high school....and well...the rest is history...  Hopefully Snyder will honor his commitment to Rivera to just "sign the checks and stay away"...........

At least we got some solid rookies in this year's draft--DE Chase Young, RB/WR Antonio Gibson, and FS Kamren Curl....

Honored Contributor

Le'Veon Bell is now a Chief. It's a smart move for KC. Bell's a good pass blocker who seldom fails to pick up a blitz. They get him cheap as the Jets are on the hook for most of his salary. He goes to a contending team and should be as motivated as possible. It's a smart move for the Chiefs.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Several members of the Colts organization tested positive for COVID, so they closed their facility and are working remotely while they confirm the tests. The people who tested weren't named. 

We should find out in a few days whether the game will be played or rescheduled. So far, ten teams have had schedules disrupted because of this. Stay tuned.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Several members of the Colts organization tested positive for COVID, so they closed their facility and are working remotely while they confirm the tests. The people who tested weren't named. 

We should find out in a few days whether the game will be played or rescheduled. So far, ten teams have had schedules disrupted because of this. Stay tuned.

False positives have been pretty common with the Jets just having such an event. That may be the case with the Colts too. We'll have to see. The PCR testing tends to yield quite a few false positives, so the backup testing the league requires can better determine what's going on.

Nick Saban has tested positive which is likely killing him (not literally) with their big game against Georgia coming up. He says he feels great, but keeping him contained will be a challenge for their medical staff. They may need a padded cell to hold him in until he's cleared.

The good news is the shedding time for the virus is now pretty much confirmed to be under ten days. After ten days you're returned to the wild and safe to be around. For someone with Nick Saban's personality, it'll be a long ten days.

The NFL is likely to have to add an extra week or two to the schedule. As the rest of the season gets shorter the schedule flexibility gets less and less. Most of the rescheduled games so far have been teams before their bye. A bit of shuffling here and there has been able to move the byes around and keep to the seventeen-week schedule, but as more and more teams have their bye those windows will close. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!