Trusted Contributor

Re: Week Six of the 2018NFL Regular season!!!

[ Edited ]

Congrats to the Eagles!! They're baaaack!!!Woman Wink

Looked really sharp ... both offense and defense! Good job!!! (Now I really hope they can get LeSean McCoy back! Together with Clement, Smallwood, and Sproles ... wow, that would be a powerful RB group!!)

Poor Saquon! What a phenomenal talent to be wasted this year with the Giants. How did Eli and company almost beat Cam last week?? Last night the  team ... except Saquon and occasionally Odell ... looked like they were sleep-walking through the game. Odell made a few good catches but then he acted out his overall frustration in his usual juvenile way of banging his head, having a mini-rant, etc.. Eli had no protection ... and even when he did, his accuracy was off. Shurmur in his post-game press conference seemed really rattled and testy ... not a good look. The Giants might as well just deliberately lose (although it seems they will not have to work too hard to do that) the rest of their games to guarantee a high draft pick! They look done.

So this Sunday we here in Philly get to see the other two NFC East teams ... Redskins at 1:00 on FOX and the Cowboys on CBS in the late game. The Eagles set the bar high last night. Will be interesting to see how Washington and Dallas react.

Honored Contributor

Saquon Barkley is a special talent, but even the best running backs can't overcome poor QB play. The Giants desperately need to find a good QB. The good news is they'll likely have a high pick this year. The bad news is they need more than a QB. They could use two or three more offensive linemen, a dominant defensive end or outside linebacker, corners, and more. They've got a ways to go to be good. The 'team' part needs some work also. Apparently the Giants were willing to trade OBJ earlier, but then their trade partners all backed out after studying OBJ a bit more. OBJ is anything but a team player. The Giants should flush him and build around Barkley.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I thought that being a Colts fan was frustrating at times, but nothing compared to the Giants. The only one worth watching on that team is Barkley. OBJ is overrated IMO; Eli has no O line and looks lost. Even if a player is open, the passes are off. I'm wondering just how much longer Eli has before he decides to retire. 

It looks like defensive end Anthony Castonzo will return Sunday. Marlon Mack should also be ready to go. I think that the Colts have a good chance against the Jets. Now if they can get a running game going and cut down on penalties. And please, no more injuries in the game. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure Eli will be given the chance to retire. He could end up benched again. He could even get cut. He's just not playing smart football. It's not new either. He's been in decline for quite a while now. He earned his benching last year and he's earning it again this year. Would their backup be better? There's only one way to find out. Don't be shocked to see Eli benched or possibly cut, during their bye week. He's far from the whole problem, but he's also not part of the future of the Giants. They need to move on.

The Giants had the pick of every QB but Mayfield this year and passed. They'll likely have their pick of QB this year in the draft, but they can't get it wrong. They've got to fix the QB spot.

Right now there appears to be one truly good QB in the NFC East and that's Wentz. I'm not sure I wouldn't take Foles or Sudfeld over Eli or Dak. Alex Smith can play well, but he's wildly inconsistent. Eli is just lost. Dak is limited. If you're grading the NFC East quarterbacks, the Eagles likely own three of the top four.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Jacksonville signed former Giants player Ereck Flowers. This move surprised me; Flowers had disappointing seasons in NY, and never lived up to his potential. The Jags have had some injuries, but I didn't think that they were desperate. I don't see how Flowers will be any better in Jacksonville, but what do I know? Maybe they see something in him that I missed. 

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Ereck Flowers was a very highly rated prospect coming out of college. He'll get another chance or two. Guys with his size, strength, and measurables aren't all that common. A coach or two will give him a chance to prove he's better than he's shown. A very common defect in coaches is a belief that they can fix guys. In some cases they're right. In some cases they're wrong, but most coaches think they can fix a guy.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Here's an interesting stat demonstrating the Eagle's recent dominance of the Giants. Over the last 21 games between the two teams, Donovan McNabb has as many wins as Eli Manning. It's been quite a while since McNabb last played for the Eagles. 

Rumor has it that the Steelers are just waiting for an offer for Le'veon Bell. They say they want a second round pick and starting caliber player for Bell. The second round pick is okay as even if you lose Bell to free agency you'd get a third round pick as compensation. If you're going to trade a player it will likely be a pending free agent who you aren't planning or expecting to resign anyway. For the Eagles that could be a Ronald Darby or Brandon Graham. We'll have to see what happens, but the trading deadline is the 31st, so it's just a tick over two weeks away.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw @yellowBeetle @gardenman

CONGRATS to the Eagles and their fans....

OMG! I cant believe the Jags of all teams picked up Flowers...and I agree with your assessments @teganslaw @gardenman some coaches take a failed player thinking they can make him realize his full potential because all he needs is a change of scenary---but it just doesnt work...CRAZY!!!

And woes continue for my Redskins, I dont know who will be left to play on offense looking at the injury report...YIKES!!!!

Five key offensive players — WR  Crowder, (ankle), WR Doctson (heel), RB AD (ankle, shoulder, knee), WR  Richardson (shoulder, knee), RB Thompson (rib, knee) — are questionable for Washington. LB Vigil (thigh) is also questionable, S Apke (hamstring) is out and G Lauvao (calf) doubtful .............

I think that leaves TEs Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed, RB Bibbs, for WRs Floyd, Harris if the questionables dont play....And the Redskis need to just CUT the ALWAYS INJURED Doctson..... SHEESH!

And if that wasnt bad enough.......Last Monday Josh Norman started with the drama..He was benched for the start of the second half of Monday night’s loss to the Saints, for reasons that weren’t publicly explained. Now an explanation has emerged: Norman put on headphones at halftime, and didn’t take them off when coach Jay Gruden addressed the team.  I guess he got jealous because OBJ was getting all the attention...

Retired Redskin D. Hall made a comment that Norman is all about being a celebrity, and cares less about football..

(JMHO---Normans days are numbered with Redskins--too much salary and not enough production)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I thought that being a Colts fan was frustrating at times, but nothing compared to the Giants. The only one worth watching on that team is Barkley. OBJ is overrated IMO; Eli has no O line and looks lost. Even if a player is open, the passes are off. I'm wondering just how much longer Eli has before he decides to retire. 

It looks like defensive end Anthony Castonzo will return Sunday. Marlon Mack should also be ready to go. I think that the Colts have a good chance against the Jets. Now if they can get a running game going and cut down on penalties. And please, no more injuries in the game. 

@teganslaw

I think the Giants stole the Redskins game plan---SHEESH! Eli looks old and tired and no o-line and their offense is pitiful....And no one seems to be playing D.  Maybe getting rid of JPP was mistake..........

Glad the Colts got some players back---GOOD LUCK!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

SPURT, sorry to hear about all the injuries. Maybe they aren't too serious. 

Also, what is it with Washington and the TE's?  Jordan Reed hardly gets any snaps; Vernon Davis gets some, but it's like these two players aren't even considered in the game plan. I've had Reed on my fantasy lineup when he's healthy, but I never get many points from him. I've recently switched to different TEs. 

Hilton and Doyle are out for Sunday. Ebron is questionable, but it looks like he will play. Rogers has been doing well in Hilton's place; he's not the same, but Rogers is capable of delivering plays when needed. 

Mark Twain