Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Seventeen of the NFL Regular Season!

The Colts just fired Chuck Pagano to the surprise of no one. I thought that they would wait until tomorrow, but this must have been a done deal before the game even started. I have a feeling that Pagano will end up working for another team, just not as head coach. He is a good person, but not effective as HC, and a change was drastically needed. I don't know who will take over the coaching duties; several names have been brought up, but nothing is official. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Pagano never really had much of a chance in Indy. The GM never got him the players he needed, Luck's had shoulder issues for three years now, and he just never had a talented roster. He will likely end up someplace else as a head coach and be very successful. Bill Belichick would have had a hard time as Indy's coach. You just can't win without players.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

i am just sick about that game......i cannot believe what happened in that last minute. i was sure we were going to come through! i have to wait now until august to see my ravens again. Smiley MadSmiley SadSmiley Frustrated

you are welcome buffalo fans.......

good game to watch if you didnt care who won.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Yeah, giving up a touchdown on a 4th and twelve is not good. It's great for Buffalo though. They've got a problem without LeSean McCoy though. That ankle of his looks bad.

San Francisco is going to be a scary team next year. They've got a good one in Garoppolo and will build around him in the off season.

The good news for the Eagles is that we now have a bye. The bad news is we'll play the lowest seeded wild card team who will be either the Saints, Panthers, or Falcons. None of those are easy teams to beat.

The Raiders and Colts have both fired their coaches, and more could be coming. John Harbaugh may not be safe given them missing the playoffs like they did. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

i dont see john harbaugh being let go this year, BUT you never know! not so sure there is anything better out there at this point.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Bengals!

Thanks Gardenman - always enjoy your comments and information.

Esteemed Contributor

The Jaguars-Bills game will be interesting. Blake Bortles is inconsistent, and their defense, though tops in the NFL, has been known to give up large plays (like the game against SF.) 

The Bills will be without LeSean McCoy, and how much will that hurt them? Tyrod Taylor has to have a great game in order for them to have  a chance. I can't  predict how this one will play out. 

Carolina didn't look good yesterday. Atlanta was ready and showed that they wanted to win. 

I read that if Tennesse loses to Kansas City next week, the Titans' coach might be fired. Apparently, being in the playoffs isn't always guarante of job security.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The problem in Tennesse is the development of Marcus Mariota. Mike Mularkey, the Titans head coach, has not done much to develop Mariota. Mularkey believes in a run first offensive style and more or less tolerates the QB throwing the ball only when it's absolutely necessary.

You can make a pretty good argument that Mariota has regressed as a quarterback under Mularkey and his coaching staff. Mariota's a hard worker, studies hard, but just isn't being coached and used  properly. His quarterback coach is the not so famous Jason Michael. He was a college quarterback at Western Kentucky but has no pro QB experience. 

Mariota was a gun-slinger coming out of college who should have become a better and more efficient QB each year, but he's regressed this year instead of moved forward. The Titans' ownership knows what they have in Mariota and have learned that Mularkey is not developing the kid as quickly or as well as they'd prefer. When you look at where a Wentz and Goff are in their second years, they're both well ahead of where Mariota is in his third year. Mariota threw just 13 TD's and 15 interceptions this year. That's not great.

The Titans have a diamond in the rough, but no one in the current coaching staff seems able to polish the diamond to its full luster. Give him the proper coaching from an experienced NFL QB coach, and the kid would be danged impressive. 

Just drafting a great college quarterback isn't enough. You've got to have a great staff in place around him to hone him, refine him, and polish him. The Titans don't have that. The Eagles, Niners, Rams and Cowboys have great staffs for their young QB's and it shows. All of those staffs have both head coaches and QB coaches who know what they're doing. Dak Prescott regressed a bit this year, but that's as much the league adjusting to his strengths, and a lack of offensive weapons, as the coaching Dak received. Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston should be getting better and better each year, but neither is really receiving the coaching necessary to optimize their play. Tennessee might just be looking to change that.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw

Well TEGAN at least your Colts finished the season and sent Chuck off with a WIN!-CONGRATS!!! 

@gardenman @yellowBeetle

I don't know which team had a worse performance---your Eagles or my Redskins---SHEESH!!!  We had injuries and you rested some players...but still....I think even the Browns showed more fight in their loss......And the Cardinals and Bucs finished strong...Oh well, on to the playoffs which should be interesting.......

Boy the Redskin fans are really calling for the pink slip of Bruce Allen....and are surprised by the Snyder's silence ...but hey thats what we wanted.....gee maybe we should bring Charles Casserly back as GM............

@sunshine45

Sorry about the Ravens---I thought for sure they'd pull out the win....I dont think Harbaugh will be fired..........I guess the Bengals wanted to put good effort on film for their new coach...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lots of coaches packing their bags:

In addition to Chuck with the Colts, Del Rio with the Raiders.......

Bears have fired Fox

Lions have fired Caldwell

Elway may have second thoughst about firing Joseph.....

Giants coaching candidates are Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia........with the Pats bye week both of them can interview

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”