Honored Contributor

Week Seventeen of the NFL Regular Season!

The end is here! For most of the league, this is the end of the season and it's time to pack up the bags and head off on vacation. For those teams that make the playoffs, the season goes on for at least one more week. 

We start out this week with Green Bay at Detroit. This game only matters for draft seeding and to see who gets a somewhat easier schedule next year. A Green Bay loss would have them getting a higher draft pick than Detroit and also facing what should be an easier schedule. Both teams face some uncertainty going forward. The Packers now know they don't have the talent necessary to compete without Aaron Rodgers. Will this get them to change their player acquisition model and grab a few high priced free agents? Word out of Detroit is that Jim Caldwell could be on the hot seat after his team's dismal showing against the Bengals last week. Jay Glazer thinks 13-14 head coaches are in jeopardy this offseason and Jim Caldwell is now one of them. If the Lions come out flat against the Packers, it could be the end for him. I'll take the Lions at home. They're the better team of the two.

Houston goes to Indy. Both teams could have new head coaches after this year. Pagano is certainly out of Indy and Bill O'Brien is on the outs with his GM and could be fired/traded. I guess I'll take Indy at home. Brissett has shown a bit more than whoever the Texans will prop up as their QB du jour. (Both teams will be attractive for new head coaches with Andrew Luck and DeShaun Watson awaiting the new staff.)

Chicago goes to Minnesota. Add the Bears to the list of teams lookng to fire their coach. The Vikings are really good, but will they play most of their starters or give them the week off? I'll still take the Vikings. 

The Jets take on the Patriots. The Jets are yet another team likely to replace their head coach. The Patriots should take this one fairly easily.

The Redskins take on the Giants. The Giants have already fired their coach, The Redskins, well who knows. There are reports that Jay Gruden could be at risk, but he's done a decent job considering everything. I'll take the Redskins in Kirk Cousin's likely last game as a Redskin. (He could end up a Giant next year if things work out just right or wrong.)

Dallas comes to Philly. Always an intense game. The Cowboys will be looking to get some credibility by knocking off the Eagles to prevent them going 6-0 in the division. Nick Foles needs a good game to get the fans back on board. I expect to see some of the Eagle's older vets get most of the game off, but the kids backing them up are pretty solid. I've got Nick rebounding from his bad performance last week and the Eagles winning.

Cleveland goes to Pittsburgh.  How the heck does Hue Jackson still have a job? He's won one game in two years and will likely go 0-16 this year. That's really hard to do and is largely unprecedented. The Browns insist he'll be back next year. Okay, sure. Expect the Browns to lose to end up 0-16.

Carolina goes to Atlanta in a playoff type game. Atlanta needs the win to make the playoffs. Would Carolina rather have Atlanta or Seattle in the playoffs with them? They know Atlanta better and would need less prep time to face Atlanta. Does Carolina roll over and let Atlanta win while resting some starters, or play to knock Atlanta out of the playoffs? I think they'll play to knock Atlanta out of the playoffs. I think they'll view Atlanta as a bigger threat in the playoffs than Seattle.

Cincy goes to Baltimore. A win and they're in for Baltimore. It shouldn't be hard to beat the Bengals, but you never know. This will be Marvin Lewis' last game as Bengals head coach as he's reportedly stepping down, so the team may try to rally and win it for him. I'll take the Ravens though.

Buffalo goes to Miami. Buffalo needs some help to sneak into the playoffs, but they've got a shot. They need the win here though to make it. I'll take the Bills.

New Orleans goes to Tampa. I would expect the Saints to win this one fairly easily. Tampa could be another team looking for a new head coach. The hot rumor is the guy they just inducted into their hall of fame, Jon Gruden, is the front-runner. Will the Saints try to trade Sean Payton again this off season? They offered him up three times last offseason (Rams, Niners and Colts.) Will they try to move on from him again after he takes the team to the playoffs? We'll have to see.

Jacksonville goes to Tennessee. Both teams are currently in the playoffs, but the Titans need the win to secure their place. Jacksonville got beat up a bit last week and would like nothing more than to knock the Titans out, but if the Titans go out then the Chargers or Bills could sneak in, and both of them are bigger threats. DeMarco Murray got dinged pretty badly in last weeks game and is likely out, or limited at best, in this weeks game. I'll still take the Titans in a must win game for them. 

KC goes to Denver. The Chiefs are safely in the playoffs and will likely be resting their starters. The Broncos are without a real QB and may be looking to replace their head coach. Word is that Kirk Cousins' performance last week got Elway's eye and the Broncos may be one of the teams competing for his services. I'll take KC in this one.

Oakland goes to the Chargers. The Raiders don't look right. The Eagles all but gift-wrapped that game for them on Christmas night and they just wouldn't take it. Derek Carr is looking more like David Carr (the former Texans QB) this year. He went from a preseason MVP candidate to a big question mark for the Raiders. The Chargers need this win to keep their playoff hopes alive. I'll take the Chargers and the twenty-some fans of theirs who'll show up for the game.

The Rams take on the Niners in a generally meaningless game. The Rams are safely in the playoffs and will likely ease off the throttle a bit to preserve their starters for the wild card game next week. The Niners are breathing fire with Garoppolo as their new QB. I've got the Niners winning this one. Expect the Niners to be active in free agency to get more weapons around Garoppolo. They realize what they've got in him and they will want him to succeed. The Niners will likley work out a long term deal with Garoppolo before free agency starts, or tag him. He may set a new high for highest paid QB.

And our last game of the 2017 regular season is the Cards at the Seahawks. The Seahawks need the win to have a shot at the playoffs. I expect them to get it. They're just a better team. Lots of rumors around Bruce Arians of the Cards. He may retire, step aside, or be fired, or he could be back. The Cards need a rebuild though. If they want a fast rebuild, they could keep Arians and enter the bidding war for Kirk Cousins, or maybe a Drew Brees if the Saints don't re-sign him. If they want a more patient approach (probably not a bad idea with Goff, Garoppolo, and Russell Wilson ahead of them already) they could draft a young kid and try grooming him.

Black Monday (coach firing day) looks to be an especially busy one this year around. There should be at least six or seven job openings, and could be as many as fourteen, possibly more. The Giants have already fired their head coach. The Colts, Bears, Bengals, Bucs and Jets would be surprises if they kept their head coaches. That's six who are nearly certainly gone. The Dolphins, Browns, Titans (still on the cusp of making the playoffs,) Texans, Raiders, Broncos, Redskins, Lions, and Cards are another nine who could join them. The Cowboys insist Jason Garrett is safe. Garrett could still be vulnerable if the right guy comes free. If the Saints move on from Sean Payton, it might motivate JJ to try and get him. 

There are lots of fun things to watch this off season. What happens with Kirk Cousins? Do the Redskins tag him again at $35 million? Which QB prospects come out in the draft? Do the Browns finally find a QB, or do they trade down yet again and miss a franchise guy for the tenth (or more) time in a row? How do the many, many injured guys rehab and recover? Which of them will be ready for the start of the 2018 season? Where do the top free agents end up? How do teams fill the voids created by losing freee agents? It'll be a pretty interesting off season this year. Lots of new coaches will pretty much shuffle the league. God only knows which teams will make the right moves and which will make the wrong ones. (My money is still on the Browns making the wrong moves.) It's been an interesting season and the playoffs and off-season start next. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

Re: Week Seventeen of the NFL Regular Season!

Maybe not gardenman. Local newspaper sports writers opining Steelers "might" sit out first string players for Cleveland game to guard against any possible injuries to key players. We'll see. Releasing James Harrison was a dumb, dumb move. Some local fans are said to be berating Harrison for going to another team. Not me. The Steelers are the ones to blame for making such a bonehead decision. The man got a bum deal and he moved on---good for him.
Trusted Contributor

Chiefs Kingdom hoping to see a little of Patrick Mahones in the final regular season game against Denver.

The KC Chiefs Dooney & Bourke purse will again be stored away after the playoffs, and I'll remove the KC Chiefs headrest covers from my car at that time, too. But the KC Chiefs license plate frame shall remain year-round!

Trusted Contributor

I live in Buffalo NY, so "Let's go Buffalo !!!!!!! " 

Honored Contributor

Forever and always Dallas Cowboys!!

Super Contributor

First of all where do you get your information? secondly you are very wrong about the Cards, I live in Phoenix and I am a season ticket holder, and I know some people that have the inside information - I think the Cards can beat the terrible Hawks as Russell Wilson is failing along with their O line- so next time you write your dribble about the NFL please get all your facts straight- GO CARDS

Honored Contributor

"Bear Down Minnesota Vikings!"

Respected Contributor

@gwiz wrote:
Maybe not gardenman. Local newspaper sports writers opining Steelers "might" sit out first string players for Cleveland game to guard against any possible injuries to key players. We'll see. Releasing James Harrison was a dumb, dumb move. Some local fans are said to be berating Harrison for going to another team. Not me. The Steelers are the ones to blame for making such a bonehead decision. The man got a bum deal and he moved on---good for him.

I feel bad  that they released him....but mainly because he has been here for so long. I get that we need Watt more and the younger players more. James has only played a handful of plays and 1 sack this year. I think it's more to get in the head of the Steelers

I think this is just shocking to me...he's had not so nice words abut them in the past. I guess he won't be drug tested anymore LOL or called dirty. 

Respected Contributor

LIONS over Packers                               Just because 

Texans over Colts                                   Too many injuries on both sides

Vikings over Bears                                  Easy win, even if they rest players

Patriots over Jets                                    Easy win

Redskins over Giants                             Captain Kirk!!

Eagles over Cowboys                            Another just because game

Steelers over Browns                             There goes our perfect season record

Panthers over Falcons                           Even tho I won my FF, Ryan is not playing well

Ravens over Bengals                             Only the Lions can't beat them

Bills over Dolphins                                  Jay Cutler

Saints over Buccaneers                         Jameis Winston

Jaguars over Titans                                They are on fire

Chiefs over Broncos                               Andy Reid

Chargers over Raiders                           They are playing well right now

Rams over Niners                                   Gurley (even if he only plays a little)

Seahawks over Cards                            Agree, @gardenman

Good Luck to all teams!!

See you next season!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

I was impressed with the Eagles' defense against the Raiders particularly Jenkins and Cox......however, the offense with "St. Nick" at the helm looked more like a target for angry Eagle fans  to pelt with snowballs........It;s a shame but without Wentz it will be interesting to see how far the Eagles can go in the playoffs..

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”