Respected Contributor

Re: Week Seventeen of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Even though my Lions lost on Sunday night, we still backed in to the playoffs!

Off to Seattle Saturday night!!

On a side note, I won our office Fantasy Football, beating out the final team by ONE point!!!  Unfortunately, there is nothing more to win than lunch with our commissioner!

It was a lot of fun!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

Even though my Lions lost on Sunday night, we still backed in to the playoffs!

Off to Seattle Saturday night!!

On a side note, I won our office Fantasy Football, beating out the final team by ONE point!!!  Unfortunately, there is nothing more to win than lunch with our commissioner!

It was a lot of fun!!!

@redwingsgal

CONGRATS on the Lionsgetting into the playoffs....and winning the Fantasy Football League in your office! Good Luck!Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It's going to be a challenge for the Lions playing in Seattle. Seattle in Seattle is a challenge at the best of times and the playoffs will have that Seahawk crowd louder than normal. The Lions need to get out to an early lead and hang on. If they fall behind early, things could get very ugly, very quickly. Get ahead by a score or two and clamp down on Russell Wilson, and the Lions have a decent shot. Fall behind and that chance gets pretty slim.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

every single game i got involved in today was just a MESS!

this was a bad football day for me.

the ravens had what looked like their worst game of the year today.

the redskins blew a chance to tie the game in their last moments.....it was within reach, but they couldnt get it done.

i am so sad to see the raiders in the position that they are in. they really had a good season and i was hoping to see them go far, but after the injuries, i think it will really take a miracle for them to pull it off. i am sure it is so frustrating for them.

i was also hoping for a browns win today against the steelers and they came pretty darn close.

overall, i am pretty upset at the games i watched and the teams i rooted for.

@sunshine45

I don't know if you watch Mike & Mike on ESPN.....they had Steve Smith Sr on their show and he did a fantastic job---got a lot of positive Twitter feedback....but what was funny and even a bit ironic is former Redskin & Steeler Ryan Clark is always on the show on Tuesdays....so a former Raven and a Steeler shared a little bit of the trash talking when they played against each other....very entertaining.....Steve said he & his wife were off to Costa Rica for a vacation....he wasn't sure what he is going to do in retirement....One of the Mike's asked if he would consider broadcasting ..... and he said he would sit down and review any offers with his wife.....He would be very good....

Sorry your Sunday didnt pan out....wasn't a very good day for me either BOTH the Redskins and even Spurs lost in overtime...Woman TongueWoman Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw

Well CONGRATS to TY Hilton he beat a formidable list of WRs!!!  JMHO but I think Irsay stands pat for another year with your coach & GM.....

@gardenman

Well Cousins  is gonna get huge buckets of ca$h.....but if he explores other opportunities he better think long and hard about his NFL career......yep, other teams will certainly be interested with slim pickens in current QB prospects currently in the NFL and in the upcoming draft!!!  HOWEVER, look at the teams he could land on......Broncos a decent choice but they didnt even wanna pay Osweiler....so I don't think they'd bring out the big bucks for Cousins.. There's the Texans, but they are already capped strapped since they are paying Osweiler that huge salary already......Oh Capt Kirk could go to the Browns.....I'm sure Colt McCoy could share a few horror stories about that.....then there's the Rams, 49ers, Bears, Jets----all with questionable o lines and lack of talent on offense......so if Cousins is looking forward to getting beat up by opposing defenses and injuries are surely to follow with lack of protection....be my guest.....and having the frustration of few weapons to work with (call Andrew Luck and Drew Brees about that)......Oh the GMs and owners of those teams will make promises of building a winner, but will they actually come through......these teams seem to be at the bottom year after year....and these are the same teams year after year with struggling teams particularly on offense....And most of these teams will have new coaches and start experimenting with new systems, or will have coaches on the hot seat next year (Jets, Texans, Cardinals, Bears)....there's the Cardinals, but how is Arians health.....Fitzgerald might retire.....and there is something wrong with that once promising looking team....   At least the Redskins are on the upswing and have talent on offense (even if both Garcon and DeJaack are gone) and at least a decent o line.....the Redskins just need some pieces on defense.....and Suva Cravens is going to fill one of those slots and learn to play safety......he is very talented very smart....I think the Redskins offer the best prospect for a long term career in the NFL....I'm sure Scotty will point this out....but I just hope Cousins listen to him and not just his agent who will get a chunk of Cousin's salary....it should be interesting.....it all amounts to does Cousins just want a lot of quick cash .....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt I just don't see Kirk Cousins agreeing to a contract now unless the Redskins opt to overpay him. By not signing a contract and being tagged again he gets a guaranteed $24-$25 million in 2017 and possibly $35 million in 2018. Where's the incentive for him to sign a new deal? 

If they let him test free agency, one or more of the quarterback hungry teams will be willing to overpay him and steal him away. They pretty much have to tag him, at the least with the non-exclusive tag, and hope for the best.

Jacksonville is a team that's been spending generously in free agency lately and has about $65 million in cap space heading into 2017. They've got a young, talented team with a bad quarterback in Blake Bortles. Plugging in a top five quarterback like Cousins might just be worth $25-$30 million a year to them. That AFC South is up for grabs and adding Cousins might just hand it to Jacksonville. Bortles would likely have some trade value also and some coach around the league would be convinced he could resurrect the guy's career.

There are a lot of teams with a lot of cap space and not too many quarterbacks will be available this off season. The Niners have $80 million in cap space. Even Jay Cutler may end up being competed for due to the scarcity of quarterbacks around the league. Teams get desperate. As an example, the Broncos traded for Mark Sanchez last year.

Most of the talent evaluators aren't impressed by the kids coming out this year, but three (Trubinsky, Kizer and Watson) will still likely go in the first round with at least two of them likely gone in the top ten, possibly all three. 

A good quarterback is pretty much worth ten times his weight in gold these days. (For the record, Cousins weighs around 210 lbs and gold is worth around $1169 per ounce as I type this, so gold is worth $18,704 per pound which would make Kirk Cousins weight in gold worth $3,927,840. Ten times that would have him coming in at about $39 million.) 

He's got the Redskins by the "footballs" and he knows it. They wanted him to prove what he was worth and he has. Now the question is how hard does he squeeze them to get what he wants? He hasn't sounded especially fond of the Redskins management in his post season comments, so if they let him test free agency, he's likely gone. If they come to him with a below market value contract, he won't sign. I suspect anything less than $25 million a year with a big guarantee ($60-$75 million) would get turned down at this point. 

Finding a good quarterback is a big challenge in the NFL. Tony Romo who realistically has just one or two years of football left (at best) will be highly sought after by teams. Jay Cutler will get another job. Mark Sanchez might even get another look by a desperate team. The Redskins have backed themselves into a corner and annoyed Cousins at the same time. All the power now lies in Cousins' hands and I don't see him giving the Redskins favorable treatment.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt I just don't see Kirk Cousins agreeing to a contract now unless the Redskins opt to overpay him. By not signing a contract and being tagged again he gets a guaranteed $24-$25 million in 2017 and possibly $35 million in 2018. Where's the incentive for him to sign a new deal? 

If they let him test free agency, one or more of the quarterback hungry teams will be willing to overpay him and steal him away. They pretty much have to tag him, at the least with the non-exclusive tag, and hope for the best.

Jacksonville is a team that's been spending generously in free agency lately and has about $65 million in cap space heading into 2017. They've got a young, talented team with a bad quarterback in Blake Bortles. Plugging in a top five quarterback like Cousins might just be worth $25-$30 million a year to them. That AFC South is up for grabs and adding Cousins might just hand it to Jacksonville. Bortles would likely have some trade value also and some coach around the league would be convinced he could resurrect the guy's career.

There are a lot of teams with a lot of cap space and not too many quarterbacks will be available this off season. The Niners have $80 million in cap space. Even Jay Cutler may end up being competed for due to the scarcity of quarterbacks around the league. Teams get desperate. As an example, the Broncos traded for Mark Sanchez last year.

Most of the talent evaluators aren't impressed by the kids coming out this year, but three (Trubinsky, Kizer and Watson) will still likely go in the first round with at least two of them likely gone in the top ten, possibly all three. 

A good quarterback is pretty much worth ten times his weight in gold these days. (For the record, Cousins weighs around 210 lbs and gold is worth around $1169 per ounce as I type this, so gold is worth $18,704 per pound which would make Kirk Cousins weight in gold worth $3,927,840. Ten times that would have him coming in at about $39 million.) 

He's got the Redskins by the "footballs" and he knows it. They wanted him to prove what he was worth and he has. Now the question is how hard does he squeeze them to get what he wants? He hasn't sounded especially fond of the Redskins management in his post season comments, so if they let him test free agency, he's likely gone. If they come to him with a below market value contract, he won't sign. I suspect anything less than $25 million a year with a big guarantee ($60-$75 million) would get turned down at this point. 

Finding a good quarterback is a big challenge in the NFL. Tony Romo who realistically has just one or two years of football left (at best) will be highly sought after by teams. Jay Cutler will get another job. Mark Sanchez might even get another look by a desperate team. The Redskins have backed themselves into a corner and annoyed Cousins at the same time. All the power now lies in Cousins' hands and I don't see him giving the Redskins favorable treatment.

@gardenman

But that's my point he can take the money and "enjoy" being on a bad team......

There are rumors floating that the Redskins will franchise him again.....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman

But that's my point he can take the money and "enjoy" being on a bad team......

There are rumors floating that the Redskins will franchise him again.....

The Redskins pretty much have to franchise him or lose him. A team like the Jags has enough money to overpay him and they've got a young talented roster that could win with a good quarterback in the game. That AFC South is a bit of  a mess and with even competent QB play the Jags could win it next year. Despite the talent on the Redskins roster they missed the playoffs this year. Vernon Davis and DeSean Jackson may both be gone next year and they'll need to be replaced, so the talent level on the Redskins may decline. If Cousins really wants to make the playoffs, a team like the Jags may be his best option.

In the NFC East, Dallas and Philly seem to have sorted out their QB issues and are both pretty solid. The Eagles need more pieces than the Cowboys, but they're not far off. I'm not sure how likely it is the Redskins can compete for the NFC East crown next year with or without Cousins given the guys they're likely to lose to free agency.

Of course a good draft and a bad injury to a rival can flip things all around, but I'm not so sure that staying in Washington is the ideal choice for Cousins.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!