Honored Contributor

Re: Week Seventeen of the 2021 NFL Regular Season!!!

We're in the playoffs! Yea! Thanks, Green Bay! A lot of things had to go right, and they did. So, now the Eagles can throttle back in week eighteen, rest the starters, get everyone healthy, and get ready for a playoff run. How long will the playoff run last? Eh, probably not very long, but you never know. It's likely every game will be a road game and we've got a pretty young team with very young coaches. But we're in the playoffs now and anything can happen.

I'm expecting Gardner Minshew to get the start Saturday night against the Cowboys. (Yeah, we've been flexed to the 8:15 PM Saturday night game. So, a full day of tailgating before a nighttime Dallas game in Philly. What could possibly go wrong there? Yeah. Stadium security guards are already calling in sick for Saturday. "I'm pretty sure I'll have Covid or something Saturday. Cough, cough. You'll have to find someone else." Suffice to say it'll be a rowdy crowd.)

The good news is a Saturday game assures us a full seven days to prepare for the first round of the playoffs. You could play Sunday night and then have an early Saturday game, so a Saturday game with the next possible game on Saturday (or Sunday) gives you a more normal week to prep. 

The odds are the Cowboys will be playing their backups also. It should be an entertaining game if nothing else. It could affect the playoffs seedings and both teams will want to win, but I'm not sure how much either will truly invest in the game.

There are three possible first-round matchups for the Eagles in the playoffs. The Rams, Cowboys, and Bucs are all possible. (The Rams and Bucs are the most likely.) It won't be easy moving forward, but nothing's impossible. The Rams have issues with run defense and the Eagles are good at running the ball. The Bucs are beatable if things go just right. Brady really doesn't like playing the Eagles. Visions of Super Bowl 52 flash through his head every time he sees us.

So, two more weeks at least of Eagles football. Yea! We'll need to wake up defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon earlier for the playoffs. No more just letting teams run and pass all over us for the first half. A bit more early aggression would be wiser. It's going to be fun.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations to the Eagles! I would like to see them do well mostly because of Sirianni. His first year taking on a team that was dysfunctional last season and entering the playoffs is no small feat. 

Tony Dungy is warning teams to avoid Antonio Brown. Dungy usually shows compassion towards certain players (he mentored Michael Vick), so this is quite telling. Brown needs help in many ways, but I doubt that he'll seek any. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

According to an article I read AB wasn’t benched by Ariens, he was sitting on the bench in a snit.

From NBC Sports

According to Jay Glazer of "NFL on Fox," which aired the game, Arians repeatedly ordered Brown into the game but was refused, prompting him to send Brown to the locker room.

"Never seen anything like it in all my years," Arians was quoted as saying.
Honored Contributor

Yeah, AB is a trainwreck. He's not a stable person. I'm pretty sure every team he's been part of has gotten him help and tried to give him guidance. I suspect he's supposed to take medication that he prefers not to take. It's not an uncommon issue with people with mental health issues. And he's got mental health issues.

It's great for Nick Sirianni and the whole young coaching staff to get at least some playoff experience in year one. These are young coaches and are learning a lot as the season goes on. Getting them some playoff experience will only help to make them better down the road.

The Eagles weren't as bad a team as people thought last year. The number of injuries was absurd. The coaches largely gave up. Doug Pederson said he wouldn't mind being fired. Jim Schwartz retired after the season (some might argue he retired mid-season and just kept showing up to collect a paycheck.) Old, has-been players (Alshon Jeffrey, Desean Jackson, Jason Peters, etc.) were given preference over the kids. It was just a mess.

"Experts" were saying we had a bottom five roster entering the season, but they were basing that on how things went last season. The talent on this roster is pretty solid and deep. I've been saying we'd win 7-10 games pretty much forever and that's right where we are.

Looking at the 2022 schedule, we should have three or four wins against the Giants and WFT. We also play the Lions, Bears, Jaguars, and Texans, which should be another three or four more or less sure wins. The Colts, Packers, Titans, Vikings, and two games against the Cowboys are iffier. There's still an AFC North, NFC South, and NFC West team to be determined by the final standings. If you just look at the likely wins, we're at seven or eight wins. A couple of the iffier games go our way and we're back to ten or more wins. And we've got about $30 million in cap space, three first-round draft picks, a second, third, fourth, three fifths, and a sixth-round pick. 

Things are not so bad for Eagles fans these days. We've got two good young QBs in Hurts and Minshew under contract for 2022. We've got youth pretty much everywhere. Free agents may want to play here. The NFC East looks like a two-team race for a bit. (Sorry Giants and WFT fans.) Barring a disaster, it looks hard to see a way the Eagles don't make the playoffs again next year.

Word is that Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn are being considered for head coaching jobs. (Though it's being reported Dan Quinn turned down the opportunity to interview for the Jags job. At least for now.) The Cowboys could lose both coordinators to new head coaching jobs which could set them back a bit.

The Giants insist everything's going great! They're right on schedule! (Okay, sure.) The WFT (or whoever they'll be next year) need a QB and a bit more. Neither team really looks ready to compete next year. (Though you never know.) Given the circumstances, it's not a tough time to be an Eagles fan. A good young nucleus of players/coaches. Room for growth. Things look pretty good around here. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:
According to an article I read AB wasn’t benched by Ariens, he was sitting on the bench in a snit.

From NBC Sports

According to Jay Glazer of "NFL on Fox," which aired the game, Arians repeatedly ordered Brown into the game but was refused, prompting him to send Brown to the locker room.

"Never seen anything like it in all my years," Arians was quoted as saying.

Yeah, I heard that there were multiple occasions when Arians tried to send AB into the game and AB refused to go in. The kid has issues. After the third or fourth attempt Arians apparently sent him to the locker room.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

How do you tell mental health from just being a jerk?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

We're in the playoffs! Yea! Thanks, Green Bay! A lot of things had to go right, and they did. So, now the Eagles can throttle back in week eighteen, rest the starters, get everyone healthy, and get ready for a playoff run. How long will the playoff run last? Eh, probably not very long, but you never know. It's likely every game will be a road game and we've got a pretty young team with very young coaches. But we're in the playoffs now and anything can happen.

I'm expecting Gardner Minshew to get the start Saturday night against the Cowboys. (Yeah, we've been flexed to the 8:15 PM Saturday night game. So, a full day of tailgating before a nighttime Dallas game in Philly. What could possibly go wrong there? Yeah. Stadium security guards are already calling in sick for Saturday. "I'm pretty sure I'll have Covid or something Saturday. Cough, cough. You'll have to find someone else." Suffice to say it'll be a rowdy crowd.)

The good news is a Saturday game assures us a full seven days to prepare for the first round of the playoffs. You could play Sunday night and then have an early Saturday game, so a Saturday game with the next possible game on Saturday (or Sunday) gives you a more normal week to prep. 

The odds are the Cowboys will be playing their backups also. It should be an entertaining game if nothing else. It could affect the playoffs seedings and both teams will want to win, but I'm not sure how much either will truly invest in the game.

There are three possible first-round matchups for the Eagles in the playoffs. The Rams, Cowboys, and Bucs are all possible. (The Rams and Bucs are the most likely.) It won't be easy moving forward, but nothing's impossible. The Rams have issues with run defense and the Eagles are good at running the ball. The Bucs are beatable if things go just right. Brady really doesn't like playing the Eagles. Visions of Super Bowl 52 flash through his head every time he sees us.

So, two more weeks at least of Eagles football. Yea! We'll need to wake up defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon earlier for the playoffs. No more just letting teams run and pass all over us for the first half. A bit more early aggression would be wiser. It's going to be fun.

@gardenman 

CONGRATS TO THE EAGLES IN MAKING THE PLAYOFFS!!!! 

LOVED your preview of the Philly nightime game against the Cowboys and how all the Security will be calling in sick they know Philly Eagle fans well....😄😄😄👍

Gee, those "unbeatable" Cowboys sure looked BEATABLE when they played against a team with TALENT!!!  All the Cowboys warts were once again exposed, and Dak's mediocre performance came to the front once again....a local guy said, "To discount the game with the WFT it was an illusion....Dak is no more than a .500 QB"....WOW! He really stuck his neck out there....I wonder if he will still be employed by our local NBC station here for STATING THE TRUTH that Cowboy fans and all the media (both national and local) refuse to accept!!! ....STAY TUNED!!!!  At least everyone can agree my team is a train wreck....even the stadium is falling apart!!!.....😖

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

A Saturday night game in Philly against the Cowboys will be interesting. More than a few fans will start imbibing after work on Friday not and not stop until game time. It's probably not the best week to be a stadium security guard. Eagles' fans can get pretty rowdy by one o'clock on Sundays. The league is giving them about 28 hours to build up a head of steam. That may be 27 hours too many. They typically open the stadium parking lots at 6:00 AM on game days for the early tailgaters. They may want to rethink that this week.

Dak was all over the place in that game yesterday. He was overthrowing, underthrowing, and just plain missing receivers. If you're the Cowboys do you play him on Saturday to try and sharpen him up or rest him? Eh? Tricky. 

Good news for the WFT. You're playing the Giants this week. I'm not sure they're even still an NFL team. I suspect a few of the soon-to-be USFL teams could take the Giants these days. They are a really bad team. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 @Sooner @JillyMarie @gardenman @teganslaw 

I think Ive come up with the PERFECT analology..PLEASE STICK WITH ME ON THIS STORY.. AB reminds me of NBA star Dennis Rodman!!! Dennis  had much success and recognition as one of the best defensive players of all times, but with age his talent started to decline and our IDIOT GM at the time, Bob bASS signed Dennis (he wanted our marshmellow team to add some defense)....The fans loved Dennis there was something about him, you felt sorry for him....moms and grandmas wanted to invite him to a homecooked meal, if fans spotted him at a local mall, Dennis would give them his shoes, neighbors reported  he lived a quiet life here in SA and also started a car repair business ....BUT he clashed with Coach Pop and authority...If he didnt like what they told him, in the middle of the game (ALA ANTONIO BROWN) he'd take his shoes off, put a towel over his head and sit in a corner on the floor of the court (a signal dont bother me Im done)...after awhile, the Spurs grew tired of his act and released him........

Dennis had a history of mental illness he even contemplated suicide while he was in Detroit.....reading about his past, I think he never really recovered from his dad walking out on him and his mom...... 

After his Spurs and NBA career ended, Dennis went a bit wild, and once again he landed in the national spotlight by making friends with the North Korean Dictator, who was also an NBA fan and always admired Dennis..(many said Dennis Rodman was the UNOFFICIAL Ambassador of North Korea)...SMH!!!  These days Dennis has vanished from the public headlines, he turned to alcohol and has been in/out of rehab the majority of his money is long gone.... I hope he's getting help ....

Who knows where AB will end up after his career....maybe we will see him in a press conference with an unlikely companion....Perhaps Vladimir Putin?????...ya never know, some sports figures hook up and form some crazy friendships, like TB and AB, and AB's crazy antics will continue, but seriously AB is crying out for help and I hope he gets it!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

A Saturday night game in Philly against the Cowboys will be interesting. More than a few fans will start imbibing after work on Friday not and not stop until game time. It's probably not the best week to be a stadium security guard. Eagles' fans can get pretty rowdy by one o'clock on Sundays. The league is giving them about 28 hours to build up a head of steam. That may be 27 hours too many. They typically open the stadium parking lots at 6:00 AM on game days for the early tailgaters. They may want to rethink that this week.

Dak was all over the place in that game yesterday. He was overthrowing, underthrowing, and just plain missing receivers. If you're the Cowboys do you play him on Saturday to try and sharpen him up or rest him? Eh? Tricky. 

Good news for the WFT. You're playing the Giants this week. I'm not sure they're even still an NFL team. I suspect a few of the soon-to-be USFL teams could take the Giants these days. They are a really bad team. 

@gardenman 

At least some of the players on my WFT despite still being short handed showed up and made it a game with the Eagles..unlike the Giants and their last game...and it's reassuring to me as a NFC East Division NFL fan to know the Giants like the path that they are on for the future "its, not a clown show, they are building a foundation"...🤣🤣..(I cant believe Joe Judge uttered those words out loud! Maybe its a foundation to be just like the NY Jets!, who last success was back in 1968!).. at least my sister can watch those Hot Sauce commercials featuring her favorite former NY Giant player and ponder the memories and good ole days with Eli....