Honored Contributor

Week Seventeen of the 2020 NFL Irregular Season!!!

The end is here! For all those doom and gloom spreaders saying the NFL would never have a full season due to Covid. Ha! They did it! Or will soon. This week every game is a Sunday game.

We start out with the Falcons at the Bucs. The Bucs have clinched a playoff spot and have little to play for while the Falcons are clinging to that fourth overall draft pick and could move up to third. The Bucs will likely be looking to emerge from the game unscathed and won't care all that much if they win or not, while Falcon players will be looking at the team possibly drafting someone to replace them. This should inspire the Falcons to play hard to get the win and move down in the draft order. They're less likely to draft a really top tier guy at seven to ten than at three. I'll take the Falcons in this one.

The Cowboys take on the Giants in what could be the game to decide the NFC East. Whoever wins this game will be the Eagles' biggest fans come eight-thirty when the Eagles take on the Redskins. Whoever wins will need the Eagles to beat the Redskins for them to win the east. I'm not all that impressed by either team right now. I guess I'll pick the Cowboys, though I'd prefer the Giants to win.

The Jets take on the Patriots in a game that means pretty much nothing to the Jets, they're locked into that second overall draft pick. The Patriots could move from14 in the draft to around the top ten with a loss. The Patriots are the better team, but I'm taking the Jets in this one. Who knew I'd ever pick the Jets to win a game this year?

Minnesota and Detroit get together in another meaningless game other than draft position. I think Minnesota will get the win.

The Steelers take on Cleveland. The Steelers have already clinched a playoff spot and have already announced that they're starting their backup QB. (And likely other backups.) Cleveland should come away with the win. I'll take the Browns against the Steelers backups. (Letting a team sneak into the playoffs that you could face down the road isn't always the smartest move though. If they let the Browns into the playoffs by rolling over and playing dead, they may just get killed by the Browns down the road.) 

The Ravens take on the Bengals in a must-win game for the Ravens. If you're facing a team in a must-win situation, the Bengals without Joe Burrows is a good choice. I'll take the Ravens for the easy win here.

Miami takes on Buffalo in a playoff preview. The Dolphins need to win while the Bills are pretty much set and can rest starters. Another of those dangerous games where you may just let in a team that could beat you down the road if you're Buffalo. I'll take the Dolphins in this one. They need it more.

The Seahawks take on the Niners. The Seahawks could play hard to try and grab that first-round bye with a win (assuming Green Bay and New Orleans lose.) The Niners are just too beat up to offer much competition even if the Seahawks aren't highly motivated. I'll take Seattle.

The Cards take on the Rams in a win and you know you're in the playoffs game. Neither team is coming in with any momentum. The Rams have lost two in a row while the Cards lost last week. Someone's got to win and I like the Rams defense quite a bit so I'll take the Rams.

Jacksonville takes on Indy in a must-win game for Indy. Jacksonville has now locked up that first overall pick, so they could come out and play hard. I'll still take the Colts for the win though. They shouldn't take Jacksonville lightly.

Tennessee goes to Houston. JJ Watt's speech after the game last week should have the Texans fired up and playing hard, but I'm not sure it matters all that much. I'll take the Titans. 

The Raiders take on the Broncos in a meaningless game as both teams are now looking ahead to next year. I'll take the Raiders.

The Chargers go to KC to take on the Chiefs. If both teams are playing flat out, this is a mismatch for the Chiefs. Will either team be playing flat out though? I'll take the Chiefs anyway.

Green Bay takes on the Bears. The Packers could knock the Bears out of the playoffs and be assured they won't face them again. Will they try to though? I don't know. I'm assuming the Packers will roll over a bit and play at least some backups and let the Bears into the playoffs. I'm taking the Bears.

New Orleans takes on the Panthers. I'll take the Saints in this one. Even their backups should handle the Panthers. (I am a little nervous that Teddy Bridgewater will be especially fired up to play the Saints though.)

And finally, the Redskins take on the Eagles. The Redskins will be playing to win the NFC East while the Eagles will be playing for pride. (Which if they had any pride they'd have never gotten themselves into this position.) I'll take the Redskins in this one. With any luck, the Eagles can lose their way to a top-three draft slot.

Next week: The playoffs! Whoo-hoo!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Seventeen of the 2020 NFL Irregular Season!!!

Wouldn't it be nice if all us peasants had access to frequent, free testing?

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if all us peasants had access to frequent, free testing?

In much of the country, you do have access to frequent free testing. Over 247 million tests have been administered so far in a country of 335 million people. The number of daily tests are now between 1.5 and 2 million on a regular basis. Almost 2.2 million tests were administered in one day on 12/18. That's a lot of testing. People forget that HIV arrived here in 1976, was widely known in 1981 and no test existed until 1985. If I was betting, I'd bet that there haven't been 247 million HIV tests run in the US in that whole time. Last year at this time Covid-19 didn't officially exist. According to the NY Times Covid-19 timeline, the first mention of a new pneumonia came out of China on 12/31/2019. 

In less than a single year, we've identified a new virus, developed testing for it, deployed the testing on a massive scale, and created treatments and multiple vaccines for the virus. That's absolutely unprecedented. Nothing even remotely close to this has ever been done before. We still don't have vaccines for SARS which was discovered in 2002 or MERS which came out in 2012. 

People don't appreciate how hard it was to do everything that's been done. None of this was easy. When you look back at previous pandemics/outbreaks and compare the response, this was by far the most impressive. Automotive assembly lines were repurposed to make ventilators. Companies that had never made PPE were suddenly churning it out by the ton. Rules and regulations that would typically have slowed everything down were set aside to get things done. There's never been a response to a pandemic/outbreak like this in human history. Pressure was brought to bear on drug companies to produce treatments and vaccines in unprecedented timescales. It's insanely impressive everything that's been accomplished in one short year. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman   The Browns just announced another player and a staff member tested positive for Covid today so they are closing their training facility while they do contact tracing.   They may not be able to beat the second string Steelers if there are a lot of players affected.  Will be interesting.

Honored Contributor

@Travone 

It could be an issue, but teams have been pretty good at overcoming the Covid-19 issues so far.

The Panthers are reportedly interested in Dwayne Haskins. Matt Rhule is used to dealing with young immature guys from his college days. They have Teddy Bridgewater who could serve as a mentor to the kid. It could be a good fit. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Some of saying the Browns loss to the Jets last weekend was because of Covid.  Most of their WR were out.  Personally, I think it was due to the fumbles of the QB.

Honored Contributor

i am getting a little bit excited, but being cautious also......

Baltimore Ravens clinch playoff berth with:

• BAL win OR
  • CLE loss OR
  • IND loss OR
  • BAL tie + MIA loss OR
  • BAL tie + TEN loss OR
  • BAL tie + CLE tie OR
  • BAL tie + IND tie

cannot believe it is week 17.....very happy that they are thinking of adding in an additional game next season!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I don't expect Baltimore to lose to Cincinnati, so the Colts will have to beat Jacksonville, and hope that Cleveland, Tennessee or Miami loses. 

Houston could beat Tennessee. Maybe JJWatt's lecture will inspiire the team. 

Pittsburgh is resting Big Ben and some other starters, so it makes a  Cleveland loss less likely, but you never know. 

Buffalo is on a role and could beat Miami. I don't think Buffalo is resting any starters. If they do, it will be late in the game. 

Colts LT Anthony Castonzo, is out for the rest of the season. He has to have surgery on his leg. The replacement will have to step up. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw  @sunshine45  @soonersis  @Travone and all NFL fans....

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party....after weather in the low 70's we are now preparing for a winter advisory and wintry mix for New Year's Eve.......So I was busy getting some errands and chores done before the arctic front rolled in....Anyway time to make some picks....

Falcons vs Bucs----  I think Tom Brady & company are trying to get their offense and defense in playoff ready form. 
(at least the first half) Meanwhile the Falcons will probably play some of their young guys to see what they have to start planning for next year....and a head coach will need to be found too.... BUCS with a WIN!

Cowboys vs Giants---  Jerry Jones wants this win badly to prove the naysayers wrong and a win might give the Cowboys a chance to get in the playoffs (with a WFT loss)....BUT he forgets his team lacks a lot of parts to make his dreams come true..... BUT he might have a chance with the poor play of the Giants QBs...but it looks like there's an 80% chance of rain which should even out the competition.....It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I'm taking the GIANTS at home---PLEASE GIANTS!!!

Jets vs Patriots--- I think the Jets have made their fans mad enough with that one win, dropping them from the first spot in the draft.....So I think they'll revert to their old tanking ways. And I think Belichick wont want to end the Patriots season on a sour note---It will be interesting to see what they do at QB next season---PATRIOTS with the "W"! 

Vikings vs Lions--- Two also rans with LOTS of question marks next season.....I'll take the VIKINGS I think they have more talent! 

Steelers vs Browns---  The Steelers are resting Big Ben to get him healthy for the playoffs....The Browns were a bit embarrassed with their loss, but they have covid issues....But Im taking THE BROWNS at home in this one.   

Ravens vs Bengals--- The Bengals will be playing loose but the Ravens need a WIN to get into the playoffs---RAVENS! The Bengals will be an interesting team to watch next year with a healthy Burrows!

Dolphins vs Bills--  The Bills fulfilled a part of their dreams by getting into the playoffs..... but they are still playing for the No. 2 or No. 3 playoff seeding position.  Meanwhile the Dolphins need to work some magic...they can get in the playoffs with a win or if the Ravens, Browns, or Colts lose....  It wouldnt surprise me if the Bills rested players, if thats the case, with the DOLPHINS needing it more will somehow, someway get a WIN! 

Seahawks vs 49ers---  SEAHAWKS, the 49ers are just waiting for next year when hopefully they have a healthy team and can contend....

Cardinals vs Rams---  Rams QB Goff is out with thumb surgery, both Rams/Cards coming off loses.....Ill go with the CARDINALS and the better QB....

Jaguars vs Colts--- Jaguars won't be like the Jets and throw away that #1 draft pick spot....Meanwhile the Colts are battling for the top spot in the AFC South Division ...COLTS

Titans vs Texans---  Will JJ Watt's speech fire up the rest of the Texans????.....The Titans have more on the  line and desperately need a win---TITANS!

Raiders vs Broncos--- Broncos's GM John Elway says he's satisified with Drew Lock, meanwhile I don't think Chucky is satisfied with his Raiders at all.....It will be interesting to see the changes he makes with this team next season....he already fired one Assistant Coach.  I think Raider players and staff are playing for their jobs..fear motivates = RAIDERS win!!!

Chargers vs Chiefs---Chiefs got the #1 seed and the bye week---I think Reid will rest players....Meanwhile the Chargers have found their QB and perhaps their HC is playing for his job on this team that has a promising future...CHARGERS!  

Packers vs Bears---  Its difficult to know whether teams will rest players once they have things locked up....but the #1 seed and a bye still hang in the balance in the NFC....so Im taking the PACKERS over the Bears who have less talent and I seem them knocked out of the playoffs! 

Saints vs Panthers---  The Saints need a Packer loss to get a chance at the #1 NFC playoff seed......The Panthers have nothing to play for---SAINTS!

THE GAME OF THE DAY/NIGHT-----

The WFT vs Eagles---- It will be Hurts at QB vs we don't know who with Washington ...Is Rivera being cagey or is it a real case of we have to wait and see about Alex Smith's calf??!?!?!? If the backup QB, Heinicke, is the WFT choice (the team is already in a better position than last week under the FORMER QB, Haskins!) there's not much film on him either to help the Eagle's defense plan, and will the Eagles' Fletcher Cox play???  The WFT is iffy on Gibson the lead rusher last week, and McLaurin looks very doubtful, but McKissic and Logan will be there as will Chase Young, Montez Sweat, Payne, and Allen, and my Kerrigan.....This game means the NFC LEAST Division Title and somehow I think my WFT pulls it off---WFT with a win and meaningless title, (and quick first round and out in the playoffs) but nonetheless a hopeful future....

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

AND

A HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

133786290_2878520992469263_2615244685254475867_n.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

ravens punter, sam koch, is currently on the reserve covid list because of inconclusive test results. he has a 239 game streak that has lasted since 2006.....his ravens record could end this sunday if he is ineligible to play.

JTUCK may be playing double duty this sunday if KOCH is not cleared.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein