Honored Contributor

Week Seventeen of the 2018 NFL Regular Season!!!

The end is here! The fastest seventeen weeks of the year are now nearly gone. But, all isn't lost! Next week the playoffs start! On to this week's picks.

Our first game is between the Dolphins and the Bills. Two teams with interesting situations at QB. The Bills are pretty sure they've found their guy in Josh Allen while the Dolphins, after what seems like a hundred years with Ryan Tannehill, still don't know what they have. (Who was the Dolphins quarterback before Tannehill? It couldn't have been Marino, but no one else comes to mind.) Tannehill is either really good, really bad, or injured and you never know which it'll be. He's one of those ulcer inducing QB's for a GM. Cut him and he might go elsewhere and blossom into a star. Keep him and he might just keep driving you crazy. It's a lot easier to handle the guys you know stink or the franchise type guys. You know what you've got. Those guys in the middle, like a Tannehill, will drive a coach and GM crazy. I'm taking the Bills in the upset here.

Detroit goes to Green Bay. A weird offseason coming up for Green Bay. Firing the head coach in the middle of the year was very odd by Green Bay standards. It also hasn't really helped them a lot as they're 2-3 in their last five games. Maybe, just maybe, the coach wasn't the problem. Detroit is learning that Bill Belichick disciples may not be the best options. So, who wins? I'll give Green Bay a slight edge since they're playing at home.

Jacksonville goes to Houston. Jacksonville will be spending the offseason looking for a QB, yet again. The Texans are heading to the playoffs. I'll take the Texans.

The Jets go to the Patriots. The Jets seem to have found their franchise QB and are happy with him. The Patriots are the Patriots. I expect teh Jets to keep this one halfway close, but the Patriots should get the win. They really don't want to lose that first round bye.

Carolina goes to New Orleans. Carolina's got an interesting offseason coming up as the Panthers fell far short of expectations. Cam Newton doesn't look right. More offseason surgery for him? New Orleans is sagging a bit entering the playoffs, but the Panthers are playing so poorly these days they may give the Saints confidence a boost. I'll take New Orleans.

The Cowboys play the Giants. Eli Manning has cleverly timed out a hot streak for the end of the year to help preserve his job, but their current two game losing streak stretching to three could offset that. I'm taking the Giants in the upset here. The Cowboys really have nothing to play for.

Atlanta goes to Tampa Bay. Tampa has to figure out their QB situation this offseason among lots of other issues. Atlanta has to decide if this was "just one of those years" and they'll be fine next year, or if they need to make major changes. I'll take Atlanta in this one. They've been playing better lately.

Cleveland goes to Baltimore. There's nothing Baker Mayfield would like more than to knock Baltimore out of the playoffs. The Ravens need the win and their rookie QB Lamar Jackson will be fighting things out with Baker for the next ten years or so for AFC North domination. I'm giving a slight edge to the Ravens in this one,  but a guy like Mayfield is going to be a challenge to them.

Oakland goes to KC to wrap up Jon Gruden's first year back. The Raiders ahve been playing for draft position most of the year and I don't expect that to stop. I'll take KC in this one.

Chicago goes to Minnesota in a "Who would we rather play in the first round of the playoffs game?" for the Bears. If the Bears win, it's likely they'd play the Eagles in the first round. If the Bears lose to the Vikings, they'd play the Vikings again next week. There are advantages to playing the Vikings again as you really know their personnel and schemes since you play them twice a year anyway. Of course, they also really know your personnel and schemes, so that somewhat offsets that. I'm taking the Bears out of hope more than anything, but I think they might prefer to play the Vikings next week and may not play flat out.

Cincy goes to Pittsburgh. The Steelers are likely out of the playoffs barring a miracle or two. The Steelers have to beat the Bengals though. (Not that that's hard.) The Bengals may finally make a head coaching change which is good news for the Bengal's remaining fanbase (both of them should be happy about that.) Sadly the guy they're likely to hire to replace Marvin Lewis is Hue Jackson. The Browns had a losing record before firing Hue Jackson, but a winning record since then. The Bengals had a winning record before picking up Hue as an assistant, only to have a losing record afterwards. Hue Jackson seems to be very good at turning around franchises, but he seems to forget which way they should be going. I've got to take the Steelers in this one.

Philly goes to Washington in what may seem more like a home game to the Eagles than the Redskins. Eagles fans travel well and the Redskin's attendance has been pretty dismal lately. It's a shortish commute from Philly to Washington, so expect lots and lots of E-A-G-L-E-S chants from the stands. These NFC East games are always hard fought. Momentum is on the Eagles side this week however and I'm expecting the Eagles to pull this one out. An Eagles win coupled with a Bears win/Vikings loss gets the Eagles into the playoffs.

The Chargers go to the Broncos. The Broncos didn't listen to me last year and trade for Nick Foles. A big mistake on their part if you want my opinion. They may fix that this offseason however. I still see Nick being a really good fit for them. Case Keenum and the coaching staff in Denver are on the hot seat, but they're just not as good as the Chargers. If the Chargers play their starters, it should be a win for the Chargers. 

The Niners take on the Rams. The Niners have showed some spunk this year and could be competitive, but I've got the Rams winning.

Arizona goes to Seattle. The Seahawks should win this one. Arizona is just a mess right now.

And finally, the game of the week. Win and you're in. Lose and it's home you go. It's the Colts at the Titans. Both teams are 4-1 in their last five and on winning streaks. I've got a feeling this game will come down to the last play with two extremely nervous fanbases having heart attacks. I'm giving the slightest edge to the Colts in this one, but it's a slight edge.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Seventeen of the 2018 NFL Regular Season!!!

I am so excited but very nervous about the colts game Sunday night. It’s going to be fun. Last weekend was a great day of football. Both the colts and saints gave me a heart attack. I think this may come down to who is playing and who is still injured. I will be getting my popcorn ready.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not worried about Derrick Henry; the Colts held Saquon Barkley to less than 100 yards.and kept Elliott from scoring the week before. They dominated the Titans earlier this season, but I think the game will be much closer in week 17. Penalties and errors could be the difference. Should be a good one, and it might be more of a defensive battle. 

Cincinnati is unpredictable. They could play their best game of the season and knock Pittsburgh out of the playoffs. Cleveland would also like to upset Baltimore. 

Most of the games are between division rivals. I think that last season the playoff picture was determined by the final week except for a couple teams.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Well, here we are at the end of another miserable season, at least for me!  Hoping all of your teams do better than mine!!!

Bills over Dolphins-This could go either way

LIONS over Packers-I cannot believe I am saying this, but the GB is a mess right now

Texans over Jags-Jville has really under played this year

Patriots over Jets-It is go time for Brady and the Boys

Saints over Panthers-Brees is on fire

Giants over Cowboys-I can't root for Jerry Jones

Falcons over Bucs-Ryan is up and down, but Winston is no comparison

Ravens over Browns-Fighting for their playoff lives

Chiefs over Raiders-Agree, @gardenman

Bears over Vikings-I do love Kirk, but not the Vikes

Steelers over Bengals-Although I hope they do not make the playoffs

Eagles over Redskins-Keep the Vikes out for me!!

Chargers over Broncos-I am really feeling Rivers this year

Rams over 49ers-With or without Gurley

Seahawks over Cardinals-Pretty sure me and 10 of my friends could beat AZ 

Colts over Titans-Luck over Mariota

Happy New Year to all!!   See you next August!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I'm not worried about Derrick Henry; the Colts held Saquon Barkley to less than 100 yards.and kept Elliott from scoring the week before. They dominated the Titans earlier this season, but I think the game will be much closer in week 17. Penalties and errors could be the difference. Should be a good one, and it might be more of a defensive battle. 

Cincinnati is unpredictable. They could play their best game of the season and knock Pittsburgh out of the playoffs. Cleveland would also like to upset Baltimore. 

Mostthe  of the games are between division rivals. I think that last season the playoff picture was determined by the final week except for a couple teams.

The Steelers are done. Only way get in is if ravens lose and they still have to beat the bengals.

Trusted Contributor

DC is just having the worst season ever!  What in the world happened to Mark Sanchez?  Two quarterbacks with broken and/or significantly injured legs.  They are on their fourth quarterback.  Who could win like this? I'm from the DC area.  Please excuse and humor me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

Thank you for all your hard work in posting the weekly game picks!!! And all your contributions throughout the season...

two-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

I cant believe its the last NFL Regular Season game....

crying-cat-face_1f63f.png

Let's make some picks.....

Dolphins vs Bills--- Ill take the Bills at home against the warm weather Dolphin's team....

Lions vs Packers--I think the Packers will play with some pride in front of the cheesehead fans and get the win at Lambeau. Aaron Rodgers opened up a can of worms hinting that Philbin should be the Pack's head coach.....I think the Lions will pick players in the 2019 draft more in the taste of their HC, Matt Patricia, going into his second year, and they'll start molding the Lions in his vision.....

Jaguars vs Texans--Texans with the easy win! Texans need to shake off last week's loss and get ready for the playoffs! I wonder who the Jags will get as their QB for 2019???????????

Jets vs Patriots---PATRIOTS!!! They will be tuning up and coming to life for the playoffs...Meanwhile Jets have a lame duck coach, and their front office is getting a list of candidates together for interviews for a new HC.....

Panthers vs Saints---Having secured home field, I think the Saints approach will be to rest players and make sure everyone's healthy for the playoffs....Meanwhile Panthers put Cam on moth balls until next year, so Im taking Saints even if starters dont play!

Cowboys vs Giants--Anything can happen with NFC East rival games!!!! The Cowboys should work on their passing game..... Eli and company will be playing loose....Taking the Giants in an upset.....

Falcons vs Bucs----Bucs will probably be looking for a new head coach, and will have to make a decision about whether to stay with Winston.... Although the Falcons have had a disappointing season, they have a lot more talent....Picking Falcons for the win!

Browns vs Ravens---Interesting game! Two rookie QBS...One wonders if a Browns win means Gregg Williams keeps the head coaching job? I know the Ravens have a terrific defense, but I prefer Baker over Lamar at QB!!! Going for the upset and taking the Browns! I bet @sunshine45 is breathing a sigh of relief Im not picking her Ravens Smiley Wink Woman LOL

Raiders vs Chiefs---Chiefs!

Bears vs Vikings---Capt Kirk and Vikings need the win! In order to win, the Vikings cant rely on their passing game alone, the Bears will just "put their ears back" and bring the pressure on Kirk...problem is the Bears shut down the Vikes running game last time they met. Bears D just too strong, and Vikes D is missing in action. Da Bears for da win! I think Cousins is really going to feel the pressure next year, the Vikings broke the bank to sign him, they thought he could carry the team deep into playoffs....this was the dilemma about Kirk that the Redskins faced....can Cousins be a franchise QB.....the Redskins came to the conclusion he was not, and took too long in coming to that final evaluation....

Bengals vs Steelers ---Could be the last time we see Marvin Lewis on the sidelines... Steelers blew their chances in so many games because of silly mistakes/bad decisions and now need tons of help to sneak into the playoffs!!! I'm picking the Steelers because they are at home. This team has a lot of soul searching to do in the offseason....trouble in their locker room too.

Eagles vs Redskins---Let's see----Eagles need the win for playoff hopes, Redskins are out ...., Redskin's D is weaker without DJ, but also the silence is golden! Redskin's QB is still a 4th stringer, while the Eagles have the magical St. Nick!!!! It pains me to say, I'm picking the Eagles Woman Frustrated Woman Sad

Chargers vs Broncos---Chargers need to shake last week's loss before heading into the playoffs.....Broncos season has long been over ---Chargers!

49ers vs Rams---RAMS!

Cardinals vs Seahawks--- No contest, Seahawks at home versus a team that's rather dismal and destined for the #1 draft pick---Seahawks!

Colts vs Titans-- Colts have better QB, better defense,better coach--COLTS for the win!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aggravated wrote:

DC is just having the worst season ever!  What in the world happened to Mark Sanchez?  Two quarterbacks with broken and/or significantly injured legs.  They are on their fourth quarterback.  Who could win like this? I'm from the DC area.  Please excuse and humor me.

@aggravated

Im a long time Redskin fan and I live inTexas....just another mediocre year for the Redskins, a mediocre NFL team!  Just so many bad decisions.....And why cant the training staff keep anyone healthy and I'm not even talking about the QBS...it's the entire rest of the team too Woman Frustrated

Hasn't been the same since Joe Gibbs left, and the team had a decent front office and GM too back in those days....SIGH!!!  

I'm a realistic fan, but Im not a band wagon jumper, and hope springs eternal that someday the Redskins will get their act together...In the meantime I relish the glory days of old....One thing that kept me balanced was my NBA Spurs team which won 5 Championships...but now with Kawhi gone we are currently ranked 9th in the Western Conference and are a bit mediocre too Woman Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The Redskins have a very interesting off season coming up. The really big question is, "What do they do at quarterback?" Will Alex Smith recover well enough from his broken leg to play again? He almost certainly won't be ready for the start of the season. He might not be ready to play until 2020, if then. It's looking more and more likely that there will only be one highly valued QB in the draft this year in Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins. The Redskins will likely be picking somewhere in the middle of the first round and Haskins will be long gone by then. Last year we had five first round QB's and this year we could see just one. SInce 31 teams passed on Lamar Jackson last year, there may be 31 teams wondering what they were thinking in a few years time if the kid keeps playing well.

Do the Redskins sign a free agent QB? Do they hope Colt McCoy recovers enough to start the season for them? Did they see enough from Alex Smith to keep him around even if he does bounce back? How can they spread out his cap number no matter what? They pretty much have to redo his contract in some manner to ease the cap hit. Smith won't want less money, so they'll have to work their way around that somehow.

They've already fired one front office guy. Will more follow suit? Is Jay Gruden truly safe? Cutting Swearinger creates a big hole in the secondary. Haha Clinton Dix hasn't really shined in the defensive backfield. They've got holes pretty much everywhere and no really good answers for lots of questions. It's going to be a pretty wild offseason for the Redskins. They do have Derrius Guice coming off the torn ACL who should be good for training camp, but how good will he be his first year back? It's hard to be optimistic about the immediate future of the Redskins. They just feel like a 6-10 to 8-8 team right now. They need to resolve the quarterback issue first and foremost. The right QB can steal them three or four extra wins a year. Then the offensive line needs some work.

You can make a pretty good argument that their two best players are Ryan Kerrigan and Trent Williams, both of whom will be 31 next year. They could use a complementary rusher to Kerrigan and lots more depth on the o-line. Josh Norman flashes from time to time, but teams aren't afraid to go after him these days. They've got a decent pair of tight ends in  Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed (on the rare occasion Reed is healthy) but Vernon Davis is 34 and way closer to the end of his career than the start. Their wide receivers are a bit too average. In fact, average is a pretty good word for most of the roster. You don't go into a Redskins game scared of anyone on the roster. You know you've got to block Kerrigan, but other than that, there's not much you really worry about. (Now watch them shut out the Egels 56-0.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

The Redskins have a very interesting off season coming up. The really big question is, "What do they do at quarterback?" Will Alex Smith recover well enough from his broken leg to play again? He almost certainly won't be ready for the start of the season. He might not be ready to play until 2020, if then. It's looking more and more likely that there will only be one highly valued QB in the draft this year in Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins. The Redskins will likely be picking somewhere in the middle of the first round and Haskins will be long gone by then. Last year we had five first round QB's and this year we could see just one. SInce 31 teams passed on Lamar Jackson last year, there may be 31 teams wondering what they were thinking in a few years time if the kid keeps playing well.

Do the Redskins sign a free agent QB? Do they hope Colt McCoy recovers enough to start the season for them? Did they see enough from Alex Smith to keep him around even if he does bounce back? How can they spread out his cap number no matter what? They pretty much have to redo his contract in some manner to ease the cap hit. Smith won't want less money, so they'll have to work their way around that somehow.

They've already fired one front office guy. Will more follow suit? Is Jay Gruden truly safe? Cutting Swearinger creates a big hole in the secondary. Haha Clinton Dix hasn't really shined in the defensive backfield. They've got holes pretty much everywhere and no really good answers for lots of questions. It's going to be a pretty wild offseason for the Redskins. They do have Derrius Guice coming off the torn ACL who should be good for training camp, but how good will he be his first year back? It's hard to be optimistic about the immediate future of the Redskins. They just feel like a 6-10 to 8-8 team right now. They need to resolve the quarterback issue first and foremost. The right QB can steal them three or four extra wins a year. Then the offensive line needs some work.

You can make a pretty good argument that their two best players are Ryan Kerrigan and Trent Williams, both of whom will be 31 next year. They could use a complementary rusher to Kerrigan and lots more depth on the o-line. Josh Norman flashes from time to time, but teams aren't afraid to go after him these days. They've got a decent pair of tight ends in  Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed (on the rare occasion Reed is healthy) but Vernon Davis is 34 and way closer to the end of his career than the start. Their wide receivers are a bit too average. In fact, average is a pretty good word for most of the roster. You don't go into a Redskins game scared of anyone on the roster. You know you've got to block Kerrigan, but other than that, there's not much you really worry about. (Now watch them shut out the Egels 56-0.)

@gardenman

The Redskins major problem is injuries!!!!  While it was wrong for DJ Swearinger to go public ---what he has said has merit to it--he  said practices were too loose and Card's practices were much tougher than the Redskin's practices....Perhaps DJ has a point---on a 53 man roster--- 24 players were on IR in 2017, and 23 in 2018!!!!.......SMH!!!  And  he's right about the play calling too...something even I mentioned.....and hey I'm just a fan.  He probably said what a lot of players were thinking, but they kept the same thoughts to themselves.....they should have backed him up!!!

The TE's are decent but what does it matter when Reed's not on the field!

Our O line is decent, but Schreff's injury which ended his season was a major blow.  Moses was out with injuries, and Trent was out or played hurt, we lost Lauvao too..........Injuries do happen in football, but not to the extent that the Redskins have had.....Its too the point its ridiculous....WR Richardson might have developed into a key weapon, but he got hurt.....

On defense--- yes Kerrigan and Preston are good players, and the Bama Boys have talent, but DC doesnt showcase their talents and calls the wrong schemes !!!

This team is a mess and Bruce Allen and the coaches are the main culprits for the team being mediocre, Snyder is not afraid to spend money, but money needs to be spent on the right decesions, and there has to be some changes made to help stop all the preventable injuries!!! Woman Frustrated.